Review Round 17, 2024 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically footy is a game where if you want to be any good you have to fight like hell for every ball . We were probably a 7 or 8 at that today , needs Todd and Finlayson , George, Farrell , Jones . and Narkle to fight hard , ( which today they did ) otherwise we get beaten by teams with more will .
It’s a man’s game and you have to man up on mass to be a good team , we’ve got the talent if we can be strong physically and mentally . That’s been our challenge . At least we’ve got the field kicking skills pretty good these days . Now it’s getting Marshall to compete hard , Lord to hold his marks , Sweet to be more accountable, Butters more disciplined.
Sorry just musing on where we’re at

For REVERSE COLEMAN MEDAL WINNNERRRRR BZT is a gun, he played pretty much exactly the same role for the bombers but with us he actually has mids putting pressure on up the field and guys like aliir giving him a chop out so its not all left to him. His bodywork and attack on the ball is elite
“But the most goals conceded by any defender this year is Brandon Zerk-Thatcher with 53. That’s four more than any other player in the AFL. Alex Pearce had 49 (kicked on him), Charlie Ballard 48, Sam Collins 47 and Noah Balta 45."

These are all good players. The stat never meant anything

Is there a way of isolating the tedious parts of these threads?

The arguments are repetitive and pointless.

Welcome to Port Adelaide football season. This is Hinkleyball in thread form.

Welcome to Port Adelaide football season. This is Hinkleyball in thread form.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Repetitive and pointless, where have I seen that before.....

Only on field for 12 years. What a surprise the fans mirror the same.

“But the most goals conceded by any defender this year is Brandon Zerk-Thatcher with 53. That’s four more than any other player in the AFL. Alex Pearce had 49 (kicked on him), Charlie Ballard 48, Sam Collins 47 and Noah Balta 45."

These are all good players. The stat never meant anything
Key defenders in teams that got beaten heavily most weeks conceded the most goals. Absolutely galaxy brain level insights.

Defensive structure looked a lot better without rat back there
Might need his height v certain teams
L Jones best game in ages
Stayed down most contests & was very good at winning the ground ball & used it well generally. Just one ootf
I know a lot of people wanted a loss but I am becoming a little optimistic about a late charge this season
Players look to be digging in, team is linking up a lot better & if we hit a run of form at the right time of the season, for once, we might win a couple of finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I had to post about Logan Evans. The kid is good. After what I'd seen of him getting absolutely destroyed at SANFL level, particularly in the really embarrassing performance at the Bay in round 1, I just couldn't see what the coaches and list management group saw, but he's really proving to everyone that not only does he deserve it, but he may well be our long term option back there. He's now gone past Williams, Burton may also be kept out indefinitely if he keeps this up.

His first game was good, but a bit flukey, game 2 a bit meh, but this week he looked completely the part. Confidence starting to build and really doing a good job. He got beaten for strength once and made 1 terrible clanger, but was involved in so much good. He's a great story really for a defence which needed a bit more depth in that position.

Well done list management team.

Thought I had to post about Logan Evans. The kid is good. After what I'd seen of him getting absolutely destroyed at SANFL level, particularly in the really embarrassing performance at the Bay in round 1, I just couldn't see what the coaches and list management group saw, but he's really proving to everyone that not only does he deserve it, but he may well be our long term option back there. He's now gone past Williams, Burton may also be kept out indefinitely if he keeps this up.

His first game was good, but a bit flukey, game 2 a bit meh, but this week he looked completely the part. Confidence starting to build and really doing a good job. He got beaten for strength once and made 1 terrible clanger, but was involved in so much good. He's a great story really for a defence which needed a bit more depth in that position.

Early days so I'm not totally sold either way but it's just another reminder not to take anything out of the absolute farce that is our players having to play in that ridiculous SANFL setup. In fact I'm absolutely convinced that just training and the occasional small sided scratch match against the Crows equivalents would be far more effective than whatever we're trying to achieve by having an SANFL team.

I miss a well run Magpies team, I tellsya.
But I guess I can say that about the Power as well.

Basically the form of an SANFL player has very little to how they will play in the AFL and that is not good.

Early days so I'm not totally sold either way but it's just another reminder not to take anything out of the absolute farce that is our players having to play in that ridiculous SANFL setup. In fact I'm absolutely convinced that just training and the occasional small sided scratch match against the Crows equivalents would be far more effective than whatever we're trying to achieve by having an SANFL team.
A decent coach and structure should help the Maggies to at least be more competitive, as from the little I have seen (albeit on tv) there have been times AFL listed players have appeared to be more interested in their own game than playing a role to help the team win.

Having too many scrubber level top ups for most games would have a lot to do with that, but if the new rules do allow us to pick up 3 or 4 not good enough for AFL but very good sanfl level players the Maggies could become competitive again fairly quickly, and with the AFL magoo's comp apparently some years away yet, staying where we are may still be the best option.

It was good to see the side perform well in a must-win game for four quarters. I thought it was our best performance for the year by far outside of the Essendon win.

The forward line actually functioned and barring injuries or suspension there is no reason to play Dixon anymore. Mitch, Lord and Marshall need games together and I like Marshall leading up the ground. It created space and when he got the ball he was an elite user he just had to get more of it. But with the other two behind him, he has teammates who can let him develop that part of his game. His goal-kicking is an issue but I thought he was good yesterday.

Sweet should be the number-one ruckman for the remainder of the season. There's more upside to him than Soldo and he has the tools to be a good AFL ruckman and it showed yesterday.

All of the Hinkley stuff aside it was good to just enjoy a good win from the boys. That will resolve itself in time but at the end of the day, we all want the club to be successful no matter who is the coach. I still believe I know how the season ends but if that's the standard going forward we have the tools to do some damage. Stick to the system from yesterday and not revert back to bad habits is what I want to see for the rest of the season.

Bergman, Evans, Jones and BZT impressed me no end today. If only Jones and Bergman played with similar aggression and assuredness every week.

This is the sort of mentality Jack Cahill put into every player at Port every week. That's what a successful coach does,

Yes I know, I'm preaching to the choir here ;)

A decent coach and structure should help the Maggies to at least be more competitive, as from the little I have seen (albeit on tv) there have been times AFL listed players have appeared to be more interested in their own game than playing a role to help the team win.

Having too many scrubber level top ups for most games would have a lot to do with that, but if the new rules do allow us to pick up 3 or 4 not good enough for AFL but very good sanfl level players the Maggies could become competitive again fairly quickly, and with the AFL magoo's comp apparently some years away yet, staying where we are may still be the best option.

The last couple of losses have been due to a structural mess, playing one tall forward, and flat out poor coaching. I mean what sort of lunacy is that? It never works. Norwood dropped off and marked all day across half back, Centrals took a bit longer to work it out but when they did we were completely impotent.

If we go to the VFL, the salary cap is lower than the sanfl, so better players won't join. So yes, we need to get some more latitude from the sanfl (may have to sell some first-borns for that though) or pick up some tall top up players. Ours all seem to be 180cm or less (I know there are a couple of talls but they're never picked, until Pascoe today).

Here's a quick summation of all of the problems with the concept:
  • Players largely fit into the category of under 21 or amateur top ups and they're pitted against mature state league footballers
  • Players change each week due to injuries and form meaning there is no opportunity for players to learn how to play as a cohesive team
  • Players need to be played irrespective of role and position meaning the team will be lopsided depending on the injury status of the overall list
  • As a result of all of the above but also more generally because it's a reserves team, players have no incentive for team success and thus will focus on themselves as individuals at all times
  • All players will play better when surrounded by higher quality teammates so these games are pretty well useless at determining whether a player can play a role for us at AFL level
Some of these problems can be fixed by leaving the SANFL but some are just inherent to the concept of having a reserves team. All things considered it's basically a waste of time, possibly nothing more than an injury risk, and we shouldn't be doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back