Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s see what Mitchell says in his presser and how the coaches votes go. I’m happy we won but I’m not happy with the way the game was played. In our run of consecutive wins we took the initiative and completely dictated the flow of the game. Today Fremantle mostly did that and we were forced to react. I just hope the coaching team aren’t satisfied with that.
Just like we did against the Dogs and St Kilda. A tough day and we kept going until we won.

As Sam and so many others at the club say; "we're not the finished product".

We are a low possession, but an effective/damaging team ATM. Only four players with over twenty touches is really rare on today's footy, and they were low twenties too - we had 24 x2 and 21 x2.
I’ve been thinking for a while are there any stats on goals per midfield disposal? Surely we must be the most efficient across the comp. I remember against tigers all our mids were in the low 20’s and Taranto has about 33 but you would never have wanted him on our team

I actually rewound the coverage a few seconds to confirm that was indeed Frosty.

If this is the reincarnation of 'Frost-ball', bring it on!
I commented to my young blokes it was a Sicily-like slice from defence to attack. Never thought I’d be attributing that to frosty!!

Sicily, what a star. I questioned if he should be out there after some poor efforts in defence but he won as the game up forward.

Day was fantastic, as were Nash, Meek, Worpel, Moore, Impey and Watson. I had a funny feeling Watson would nail that goal.

Amazing effort to beat a bogey side when they controlled large portions of the game. The best in game coaching Mitchell has done for mine.

Geez Healy and King would have hated that 😂 how good. Sicily, what a turn around. Prob has to stay forward now unless shoulder gets better. Dear, Wiz and Weddle awesome. Worps and Nash warriors, but I reckon Meek was B.O.G. What a star he is becoming
Agree re Meeky... Will be very interesting to see if he gets coaches votes... I thought Jackson marginally a head in first half, but Meek massive in second half..

Eat a big fat bag of dicks King.

You too Healy.

Hawks fans to the commentary team post-game:

ezgif-480759920.gif

Freo fans during the whole last quarter

View attachment rapidsave.com_stkildagif-g09duga90ah91.mp4

Meanwhile, Norf fans after todays um "effort"

homer simpson GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused by this 'outplayed' and 'probably didn't deserve to win' narrative.

First quarter was pretty 50/50.
We had a stronger second quarter.
They had a dominant third quarter but we still managed to put scoreboard pressure on.
We won the final quarter.

Go and look at the stat graphic right before the incredible Newcombe goal. Scores from all sources were basically even for the entire game to that point.

The Dockers only had 5 players with 20 or more disposals. The most being 23.
We had 4 with 2 players having 24.

Aside from them doing the classic Freo 'chip it around in D50 to get Luke Ryan some Supercoach points' game style, there was no real statistical outlier that would suggest they were the better team aside from the scoreboard.

We were better for longer when it mattered, in the final quarter. We have the 4 points to prove it.

We didn't need a convincing win. We just needed a win and this was a win against a good side that brought serious pressure. Could Freo have put a bigger margin on us by 3/4 time? Yep, but we've been on the other side of that coin a few times. Hanging in there and then lifting under pressure in the 4th against a quality side was a seriously good effort
Agree, they could have been 4 up if kicked better, but I thought first half was deceptively even and played between arcs with their transition from defence a bit cleaner on occasion and intercepts causing some issues... They won third without cashing in on scoreboard and we were clearly better in last and capitalised...

I'm confused by this 'outplayed' and 'probably didn't deserve to win' narrative.

First quarter was pretty 50/50.
We had a stronger second quarter.
They had a dominant third quarter but we still managed to put scoreboard pressure on.
We won the final quarter.

Go and look at the stat graphic right before the incredible Newcombe goal. Scores from all sources were basically even for the entire game to that point.

The Dockers only had 5 players with 20 or more disposals. The most being 23.
We had 4 with 2 players having 24.

Aside from them doing the classic Freo 'chip it around in D50 to get Luke Ryan some Supercoach points' game style, there was no real statistical outlier that would suggest they were the better team aside from the scoreboard.

We were better for longer when it mattered, in the final quarter. We have the 4 points to prove it.

I think the Freo fanboying in the commentary box got to a few people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2024 : Hawks sink the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back