Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably been said already by another…

But crikey… if you let an opponent mark the ball 145 times in a game… you have no hope of winning

That just spells out to me that Fly has lost them on effort
I’m not sure that’s an effort issue though. It seems like a tactical choices to leave free oppositions players in the 59 to chip it around in favour of us setting up our zone further up the field.

Riddle me this …

Why is this forum filled with folks who before the game are so cocksure of a win against a team that are above us on the ladder …

… and then after the game when we lose they want to toss their toys out of the cot, call the season over, and blame everyone from the backline to the bootstuder for having the temerity to not meet their unmanaged expectations?
Maybe because this is a forum full of different people expressing different opinions at different times.

Hard to reconcile what has happened since last years’ prelim, where we were able to stop GWS scoring for 7 min of game time, to now where we can’t stop a team from getting goals in the last quarter when chasing a lead.

Close games are now losses not wins

We’re losing by bigger margins each week. Twice now this season, we’ve lost 3 in a row. Hopefully we don’t continue this streak!

To me, it looks like they’re no longer buying in. The belief we all spoke of, has gone.

No opposition will be rating our comeback attempts now. The self fulfilling prophecy where teams would get rattled as soon as they saw us coming, that’s done.

Injuries have played a part. A big part. But it’s more than that.

The outnumber. The pressure. The ability to stop opponents from scoring. The ability to score quickly in bursts ourselves. These all require effort. It’s a taxing game style but you are rewarded for effort.

Signature of both 2022 back half of the season, and especially 2023.

Saw a small glimpse of it between rounds 3 and 9 or so this year. But everything that was Craig McRaes brand has all but disappeared now.

I think he’s lost the playing group. I don’t know how he gets them back now.

What a ride 2022 and 2023 were. We were so spoilt. It was thrilling. Now it’s a memory. The ride is over.

I’m not sure I’d go as far as “lost the players” but then maybe we both have different ideas of what losing players means.

For me, “losing players” means the players dislike the coach. They no longer want to play for them. Buckley had 100% lost the players.

I think with Fly, I just have a feeling he’s far less hands on of a coach than what we might think and it was Leppa and Bolts that were the more hands on coaches the last two seasons.

Now that those two aren’t involved the players don’t seem to be as driven. You used to constantly hear the players fawn over Leppa and Bolts in interviews. You don’t really hear that much anymore with Scoot, Skip and Roughie. I only really heard it with Roughie with one player…Murphy.

That, combined with just general contentment that might be coming with being reigning Premiers.

Yes, they also understand that they would lose Stewart for next week if they acted like he was concussed. Better to just sit him down for 10 min, let him gather himself and pretend nothing happened. But us, well, we do the right thing by the rules of course and sub Schultz out and lose him for next week in the process. The auto week off is the issue clubs face.
What’s negligent here is that Stewart has already suffered a concussion earlier in the year.
AFL must investigate this for the welfare of the player.

Spot on.

Dimma showed everyone the blueprint on how to beat his old game plan, when Gold Coast soundly beat us. Essendon and Geelong have adapted that same model. So will everyone else now.

At Richmond Adam Yze has changed the style somewhat as well. I guess when successful teams like Richmond win multiple Premierships in quick time, other clubs will look to copy the style/method/model of play and make changes if they need to. As you say, Richmond's style was copied because it's seen as an effective style and it's a style that stands up during the most important part of the season - Finals Footy. But the style has been tinkered somewhat as well which is fine and understandable.

So well done to Dimma and Fly and well done to the other teams for implementing the style. As time goes on, a new style will probably be created which will he successful for a club and then we will all copy that club. It's swings and roundabouts.

So the blueprint to beat Richmond was uncontested marks?

Did teams only come to this conclusion after their dynasty?

I think teams knew how to stop Richmond, but carrying out the function in a game was tough. Richmond had quick players, who attacked hard, it was like a wave which created pressure and pressure that wasn't there. Teams panicked.

During Richmond's successful period, West Coast (when in flag contention) beat Richmond one season (2018) and they used the uncontested marks/possession method, they wanted the ball in the air, whilst Richmond wanted the ball on the deck.

"Keepings off" footy was how Richmond could be beaten, implementing it was hard. "Keepings off" footy is now besting the Pies, Geelong showed this last night.

But bearing in mind, Richmond were a better team than Collingwood, beating Richmond was more harder than beating Collingwood, the Pies also have injuries too - they never help.

Once Richmond's successful period came to an end, their style wasn't as effective - older players playing a taxing brand of footy and it really is a taxing hard style to carry out.

Last edited:
Clarkson and Hardwick are very close, used to see them together and Hardwick himself says he texts him a lot. Both coached good games against us and then the Scott brothers probably went from there

Agree, what I saw was a good effort compared to the last month.
We were winning those types of games the last 18 months, but we have clearly had injuries this year and lost our hassle for longer mantra.

Cue in rack now, next fortnight things could get very ugly for us.

Time to see who is part of the next tilt and begin planning for that.

It has been a great ride the last 3 years.

Keen to see how we go about the rest of year and how active we are in the trade period.

On SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, we don’t put the “cue in the rack” until finals are a mathematical impossibility.

Sure, we may fall in a heap.

Or maybe we’re able to win against Hawks and Tigers. And then when we play the stronger teams we hopefully get some good players back from injury and our inexperienced players get a bit better.

The 2024 season isn’t over yet.

Clarkson and Hardwick are very close, used to see them together and Hardwick himself says he texts him a lot. Both coached good games against us and then the Scott brothers probably went from there

Exactly right. It was Clarkson who implemented the "precision kicking" "hitting targets" "uncontested marks/disposals" method of play which was part of the Hawks successful era.

Then Hardwick came along and created a new but effective style and it was completely different to Clarkson's style.

Not sure I agree on the North game as an example of good coaching

That North game was just a good old fashioned shit team playing above their level for 3 and a half quarters

Nineteen. Goals. Straight.

We will never see that again in our lifetime. Let alone from a bottom of the ladder team.

Nah, we don’t put the “cue in the rack” until finals are a mathematical impossibility.

Sure, we may fall in a heap.

Or maybe we’re able to win against Hawks and Tigers. And then when we play the stronger teams we hopefully get some good players back from injury and our inexperienced players get a bit better.

The 2024 season isn’t over yet.

Don't worry, you'll beat my team (Richmond), we are in a rebuild and transition phase and will be for the next few years. Hawthorn though are on a pretty good role despite losing to Geelong last week. Hawks are playing good footy.

You dont think that-:

Ins: Cox, Mitchell, McStay, Howe, Mihocek, McCreery

may help some????

Not if the effort isn’t there

We’ve actually played worse when we’ve had more senior players in this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont think that-:

Ins: Cox, Mitchell, McStay, Howe, Mihocek, McCreery

may help some????
I’d love them all back. But outside of Mitchell they aren’t changing us between the arcs. Might help with “get out kicks” but our mids and defensive zone setup is what’s killing us. We can’t get it forward enough to kick a winning score so all those talls would still lack supply in current trends.

Don’t think we can solve our zone etc it before the seasons out.

Not if the effort isn’t there

We’ve actually played worse when we’ve had more senior players in this season
Sorry, if those players were fit and healthy and had been all season, we would be sitting comfortably in the 8 now. If they come back in dribs and drabs after long lay offs and with new injuries seeing quality players go out at the same time there is never going to be a noticeable change in the outcome of our games.

I’d love them all back. But outside of Mitchell they aren’t changing us between the arcs. Might help with “get out kicks” but our mids and defensive zone setup is what’s killing us. We can’t get it forward enough to kick a winning score so all those talls would still lack supply in current trends.

Don’t think we can solve our zone etc it before the seasons out.
Our midfield is definitely the biggest concern. Even our depleted forward line looked reasonably dangerous when the ball went in there. It just didn't go in there very often.

I think our midfield has been a worry for years as far as the centre bounce clearances are concerned.

Sorry, if those players were fit and healthy and had been all season, we would be sitting comfortably in the 8 now. If they come back in dribs and drabs after long lay offs and with new injuries seeing quality players go out at the same time there is never going to be a noticeable change in the outcome of our games.
No need to say sorry - no-one, nothing here deserves apologies except perhaps.........

pineapples GIF

Exactly. Every week it's 2 in with another 2 out.

The younger, more inexperienced guys have had to carry that extra load for longer than anticipated.

There's been no extended periods to build synergy, confidence & connection within the group. And it's affecting everyone's confidence & form.

It’s the unconcealed glee with which some posters attack Moore and his poor form that is surprising - or maybe it isn’t. Some are virtually licking their lips at his decline.
I’ve stayed relatively silent on it but I don’t think it’s unfair that people are starting to become vocal at what has been a significant period of crap form and unaccountable play.

I’ve stayed relatively silent on it but I don’t think it’s unfair that people are starting to become vocal at what has been a significant period of crap form and unaccountable play.
Maybe we're in a training load up period like last year. Ahh bugger it, that's all I've got

I actually think Darcy has escaped much of the criticism that other players would cop for such an extended period of the season.

I think it's fair. When he plays well he is showered in praise and he is a favourite of the AFL and media because he is articulate and thoughtful. I think he gets more than a fair run.

Some are losing faith in Fly? Dear God. The man got us up for a flag less than 12 months ago when we were not the best team in the competition. He performed brilliantly in the finals.

How fickle. How pathetic. How quickly people forget when in the midst of a dummy spit.
Lmao who was better? The only side that you can genuinely mount a counter argument for (on the back of two pretty convincing home and away wins) was Brisbane. We were far better than every other comer. Don’t buy into the bullshit all the opposition supporters spout to try and downplay last year’s achievements.

Best percentage in the comp, best win loss in the comp, best performer in finals in the comp, best team in the comp. No ifs or buts about it.

I actually think Darcy has escaped much of the criticism that other players would cop for such an extended period of the season.

I think it's fair. When he plays well he is showered in praise and he is a favourite of the AFL and media because he is articulate and thoughtful. I think he gets more than a fair run.
Well, short of every supporter lining up and gangster slapping him, I think we just have to back him to turn it around

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back