Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate to see another one-sided Sydney-Geelong grand final. Considering a September holiday as Geelong thump Sydney in the 2nd blowout grand final in 3 years after the excitement of 2023. Might chuck on the 2023 AFL Grand Final instead of watching a snoozefest
Sydney would belt the Cats by ten goals if that’s the Grand Final combination. Your bias against interstate sides really is tiresome

If epitomises means blindly tapping the ball to where our mids aren’t then sure.

It was a real Brodie Grundy performance.

Glad I'm not the only one with this view.

To be fair to big Darcy, much of the Friday night's sh*tness can be fairly aportioned to the midfield. He worked his arse off.

Glad I'm not the only one with this view.

To be fair to big Darcy, much of the Friday night's sh*tness can be fairly aportioned to the midfield. He worked his arse off.
I did feel a bit harsh making that post. The lack of connection was frightfully bad and that’s not all on Darcy. I do find I’m constantly astounded at the hitout to advantage ratio of he and Mason, as the eye test indicates that Mason is more dominant in putting the ball to dangerous, advantageous space but the stats tend not to back that up.

I did feel a bit harsh making that post. The lack of connection was frightfully bad and that’s not all on Darcy. I do find I’m constantly astounded at the hitout to advantage ratio of he and Mason, as the eye test indicates that Mason is more dominant in putting the ball to dangerous, advantageous space but the stats tend not to back that up.

Big Mase is the better tap ruckman. That's my view and I'm sticking to it!

How hard is it for the rucks and mids to communicate, have a plan and make the plan work 66% of the time? - I realise the oppo will be trying to spoil it but communication is a key

Not sure if this has been mentioned but what is going on with our disposal efficiency? It's constantly trash compared to our opposition and the second lowest in the league. It's hard to win any game when you can't execute simple skills.
It's predominately style. We're much more willing to hack it forward to take territory than most teams are. Lots of kicks off the ground. Lots of forward handballs into congestion looking to break through via the most direct route. Few efficiency boosting sideways and backwards kicks.

Mason is the better centre bounce ruck - the other ruck contests not so much and definitely not boundary throw ins.

That sounds fair. Boundary throw-ins he too often gets outbodied. That's Darcy's jam.

I reckon we are being pressured heavily and doing panicked disposals is why.
We apply little pressure now comparative to what we are pressured by opposition. It's making a huge difference now. We've reversed roles with our opposition.
Another factor is that some of our players seem to hold onto the ball too long before disposing of it, and end up pressured into sloppy kicks and handballs.
Jordy and JFN are two examples, but it seems to be spreading.
And FFS, don't handball to a teammate who is already under pressure.
There's poor skill execution as well - kicks and handballs that fall short, overshoot, or are behind a teammate.

Another factor is that some of our players seem to hold onto the ball too long before disposing of it, and end up pressured into sloppy kicks and handballs.
There's poor skill execution as well - kicks and handballs that fall short, overshoot, or are behind a teammate.
Totally agree

Taking too long and how many times this year do handballs go too long or too short
The ability to ignore a player whose calling for it when they are in an inferior position is an underrated skill

oh yeah there is way too much of the hospital passes lately.
Also too many rushed dump kicks - like Darcy Cameron does 90% of the time he gets the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based off my time of watching the Collingwood football club it’s extremely hard.

The lack of a decent inside mid who not only feeds the ball out themselves but blocks effectively and wins 50:50 ball is hurting us badly. Sides just tag Nick Daicos and the other mids rarely get first hands on it.

A 9 year gap in age and experience will do that. Hence my point that he need to be trained.
His physical qualities offer huge upside as a potential inside mid.

Totally agree

Taking too long and how many times this year do handballs go too long or too short
The ability to ignore a player whose calling for it when they are in an inferior position is an underrated skill
Understand and let’s hope he gets somewhere near mitchell and his
Brownlow and three best and fairests

What happened to macrae spinny?
Where have I said Long >>>> Macrae.
But seriously I think Long is BIG and offers grunt that’s needed as an inside mid. Mids are getting bigger not smaller.
Long has the size to stop the freight trains like Cripps, Green etc.
I’d have no issue with Long tagging Cripps - especially given he’s got a huge tank.
That’s not a job for Macrae, and we’ll need more than just Long to replenish the midfield.

In a few weeks we might see how Long goes against Cripps.
I thought he was serviceable against Stewart given his inexperience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18 = Collingwood 71-91 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back