VFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 47-63 #BoroughIrkedUs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sier strong mark at half forward, chip towards Mayne, off hands, Chippendale finds Daicos, misses.

Turnover on 50 from the kick in, kick inside towards Mayne, Blair snap goal.

Daicos not a Very Good in front of the Sticks

Agree. The Club easily could find Sponsors who would Sponsor on the VFL Live Stream and that would at least means they Break Even with a VFL Live Streaming

Maybe its something that Ed could answer as to the non coverage of Collingwoods vfl team and also the women's team.

Pick A
B
C
D

Come on Pies

Lisle has kicked 5 of their goals

It is the CEO’s job to set the agenda, to determine (in a strategic sense) how and where money is spent, and (in a strategic sense) how resource are allocated. For a club that has 70000ish members and maybe a million supporters, the CEO might decide that spending money to stream vision that maybe a few hundred folks would look at can’t be justified?

To be fair, the club did try text updates for a while, radio for a while, video for a while ... and today they only do twitter updates. It’s not as if we’re dragging the club kicking and screaming into the social media / streaming media age. They tried it, and for whatever reason, it didn’t work.

IMHO, the club should be able to justify streaming VFL games. If it’s not working for them, then it’s the execution rather than the idea.

I reckon the club went about it the wrong way. Getting a professional media team to put out a slick media production isn’t what the VFL is about - if people wanted that, then they would simply watch a seniors game on FOXTEL.

IMHO the VFL is about grass roots, community. They needed it to be a lot more engaging and interactive.

As I’ve posted about this before, get together a bunch of unemployed people, give them access to training and apprenticeship in media. Have them get in and amongst the crowd both at the ground and on social media. Bring some Collingwood personality into it in a way that mainstream doesn’t do and can’t do.

Try to fund it through sponsorship - it shouldn’t need much money. I can’t imagine Cousin’s Smash Repairs have a huge marketing budget.

Well obviously there is a viewership for the VFL otherwise ch7 would not broadcast it. I believe we do have to drag the club into the digital age or at least look at how people are viewing content today.
Streaming of sports like the VFL is how the public want it today. Other clubs do it, Essendon definitely do, Casey I know have radio, the VFL it’s self streams, Carlton as we saw last week on YouTube. Although it would have been nice to have a guy sit next to the camera and commentate.
It’s not a matter of money, all the clubs other teams, netball, aflw have some sort of broadcast and as has been mentioned before, local leagues are streaming their games. I’m sure there would be loads of broadcast students who’d love to get experience in doing VFL football. The club just needs to listen to the supporters for once. Something that they have not done in a long time unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defend the Club all you want but like I said the Northern league records and uploads on their website EVERY game.

Just like the Bullants jus one bloke with a camera.

You being interstate should be demanding this from the Club at the very least.

Why should sponsors pay or unemployed do it?

Call me a cynic but has Eddie media still got the VFL coverage rights?

Why did the Bullants do it last week on YouTube?

The real Collingwood supporters want to see the kids coming through.....that should be more than enough justification to the Club.

It's not always about ratings or $ or popularity 76.

I’m agreeing with you you silly duffer! :p

I’m only pointing out that ...

(1) The CEO is very new to the job it’s reasonable to give him some time before we demand he crack his whips over the media dept to send them out into Armageddon to film VFL games. FWIW I discussed this with Gary Pert (as have others) and was I left in no doubt that Pert (as CEO) could make it happen or not happen.

(2) If it didn’t work for the club last time they tried (clearly it didn’t) then IMHO it had more to do with the execution than the idea. You’re suggesting that it failed because the club probably wasn’t measuring success correctly and I might agree with you (I don’t know how they measured it but).

(3) Everything has to be paid for somehow, whether it’s through membership dues, levies on merchandise sales, gate takings, or sponsorship Or whatever. I like the idea of sponsorship because when done right it can be very community spirited. Look at 3Threes who sponsor our women’s teams. It makes no sense that a local pickle company sponsor sporting teams for any good reason apart than they passionately want to support them.

(3) Everything has to be paid for somehow, whether it’s through membership dues, levies on merchandise sales, gate takings, or sponsorship Or whatever. I like the idea of sponsorship because when done right it can be very community spirited. Look at 3Threes who sponsor our women’s teams. It makes no sense that a local pickle company sponsor sporting teams for any good reason apart than they passionately want to support them.

Simple get Sponsors for the VFL Live Stream

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Port Melbourne at Olympic Park Oval (Pies lost 47-63 #BoroughIrkedUs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back