Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was a mistake dropping Coffield and it looks a worse mistake dropping him now, he was one of our best leaders against West Coast.

Our defence was a shambles tonight and Coffield would have been handy with his leadership tonight, Howard and Wiilkie are suspect under pressure.

We missed my no 35 boy Sinclair's run off half back too, he's our 3rd best player behind Steele and Marshall.

Last edited:
He was playing in West Coasts third/forth forward rather than someone a 195cm key defender should be matched up on because he wasn't capable of playing on a decent key forward.
If he was tried on a different key forward and failed ud agree with you. Wilkie done awesome on Darling too

I think part of the issue tonight was we changed the structure of the past few weeks and played way too many forwards while being a defender short. Which was then only compounded by Howard going off - the worst possible player to lose.

Whoever thought we needed to play all of Butler, Higgins, Kent and Long as forward got it wrong. Our forward and back balance had been very good the past 6 weeks so there was no need to change it.
The facts are that Butler, long, kent have hardly bothered the scorer the last 3/4 weeks or anytime this year. Butler got a couple last week. Cannot win games like that. Too few doing the hard yards. Membrey got a few tonight for a change. There are a few more deep seated problems and the main one being the skill level. Howard was done early by Mckay.

He was playing in West Coasts third/forth forward rather than someone a 195cm key defender should be matched up on because he wasn't capable of playing on a decent key forward.
Ok so you want him to take Kennedy instead of Howard then?!
Stupid logic.
He can only play on who he plays on. Whether they kick goals on him or not give credit where it’s due ffs

Looking at the stats Carlton had a better disposal and inside 50 efficiency percentage but the biggest factor that stood out to me was their shooting accuracy. They were very accurate tonight.

He is only one player, we basically got flogged because we fumbled, made poor decisions, kicked like sh*t and 100 other things.

Yes may only be one player. Not saying he is the difference between winning/losing.
More a comment on Hill. Hill ended up being the only one trying to run the ball off the backline. Because it was so obvious and no one else stood up to take the Sincs role, it made it a great deal easier for the Blues to tighten up on Hill.

exactly - what blows me away our mids had more touches but didnt put it to use - Hit outs 70 to 11 , just proves if your mids don't use it properly you might as well not have a ruckman.
Blowtorch coming but Silvagni lost the tap every time but kept winning the ball out of the centre/throw ins and left Marshall and co in his wake. Never seen anything like that before, unbelievable. He is not top class but just walked away from our midfield at least 10 times. 46 hitouts meant jackshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking before the game, please just win. Hate losing to Carlton!!

In hindsight and some mentioned before hand, big change to bring in 4 players with Clark and Higgins not playing for quite a while.

I'm of the view that we really need another kpd. I don't think it's necessarily just the goals a kpf kicks, but the marks up the ground and the amount of attention they require from a team defence that leaves other forwards open. Really hope we give Joyce or Clav a go to see if they can be it or not. Also it's fairly obvious we are playing too many forwards.

To lose so many clearances with Jack Silvagni rucking is an absolute embarrassment.

Carlton were able to completely choke our ball movement and transition and they were able transition well with run changing angles and hitting up players.

Really happy for Sharman tho, is a beanpole but looks promising. King was looking the goods early too.

Sharman looks a good prospect, he had the smarts to lead away from King into space and drag defenders away from him rather than compete with him.

I'm sure our forward line coaches will coach that out of him and tell him to lead to the same spot Max leads to and spoil his marks.
And a rarity, I am sure he had a handy snap at goal on his left foot, did it fairly naturally.

If Sharmo is a developing ruck can’t we just play him as Kings decoy for a year and then back as a year and then if he’s ready drop him in the ruck
He looks too good to be left to go to waste and floundering in the vfl for a couple of years.
Sharman’s not a developing ruck, he’s more like a Josh Battle. Heath however is a ruck and I’ve been advocating since he was drafted to have him play decoy forward to support king while taking a forward stoppage here and there. He’s 204 cm and 90 something kilos

Carlton brought the pressure and we wilted. How many times have we seen that this year.

And Billings. Two weeks in a row now he's broken our momentum by missing easy set shots when we need them the most. He's a complete liability.
Obviously was a poor set shot.. but we were down be 6 goals. Damage was already done. Blaming Billings for our pathetic lack of effort in the first 3 quarters is weird.

We didn't seem to have a plan to win the game. It was pathetic coaching tonight. Ratten was embarrassed.

Can't really see how Ratts takes us forward form here. This was basically a final, against a weak opposition, and we were destroyed. He isn't up to it, sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back