Preview Round 20, 2023: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 30th July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Hawks

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Wilkie, at 191cm, already plays the role as gun defender who is undersized.
He doesn’t play the sag off intercept defender roll. He is accountable as well. I want a pure intercept player

My son bought some vintage ones of those on eBay so he could look more floggish. They look more subtle in pics.
Your son has taste. Must've skipped a generation xoxo

He doesn’t play the sag off intercept defender roll. He is accountable as well. I want a pure intercept player
That's were someone like Battle needs to step up or something a Coffield could do if he can break into the side. Wilkie's intercepting was also fantastic to start the season. If we can get a combination of defenders doing it, it would make us more dangerous overall.

The thing about them not playing the Marshall and Campbell combination (effectively two rucks) is where does that leave Max Heath?

They've continually demonstrated that they believe Marshall is the main ruck and that's it, so unless Max Heath becomes some sort of gun fwd/ruck how does he suddenly become a better option than Hayes, Cordy or Campbell?
Heath is being developed in both the forward and ruck roles which makes him more likely to be able to play with Marshall if he is good enough.

Who knows if he ever becomes a better proposition than any of them, but he was a mid season pick, I doubt we are pinning all our hopes on him.

I had no idea Sicily is only 188cm. Same as membrey. Why can’t we move membrey back and have our own version?
I reckon Sharman or Coff could potentially play this role pretty well moving forward.

I like the thinking but Members takes too long to make decisions around the ground. I reckon he has to be kept close to goal.

Because Wilkie, at 191cm, already plays the role as gun defender who is undersized.

Sicily is 8th in the AFL for intercept marks ( average 3.4 ).
Wilkie gets the most for StKilda ( average 2.8) but Battle isn't far behind him.

That's were someone like Battle needs to step up or something a Coffield could do if he can break into the side. Wilkie's intercepting was also fantastic to start the season. If we can get a combination of defenders doing it, it would make us more dangerous overall.

Wilkie and Battle already combine and average together to get around as many as the Hawks.
Howard takes as many as the Hawks second best , Frost.
I agree that its suited to Coffield as well.

Highmore does it very well, but then.........

Membrey ...... and needs to use two feet to jump.

No not at all when he runs and jumps.

It is just that he really has mastered that vertical jump (leap) without a run up and in that situation it often gives him a real advantage as opponents cannot match him if they also have to vertical leap, and cannot run in and jump to spoil.

If you are just leaping straight up you will go higher than if you attempt it off only one leg.

PS, Fully agree on his lack of smarts, and slow decision making though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon the players looked confused. Not playing with much swagger as they're too in their own heads. It was good to see Hammer take it on and kick that goal the way he did.

Our forward line structure needs fixing. It's true the entries have been bad but I'm not seeing players getting separation and leading at the ball.

Obviously our skills and decision making remain our biggest problem.

If we don't get a bit of mojo back this week we'll get flogged.

Last time we played the Hawks the Reeves/Meeks duo slaughtered Roma in the tapouts.

The tall Reeves being out really levels the ruck playing field and moreso as Marshall has been playing much better football of late.

What we very much need is the form that Steele rolled out in the last quarter against North to be rolled out for a whole game.

An improved ruck and midfield effectiveness compared to last time will go a long way to us being a chance this week.

That, and as others have already commented for us to not just feed Sicily the ball the whole game again

Tim Membrey will play for Sandy this week, per the coach.

Interesting, wonder what Sicilys average is without the game against us, prob similar to Wilks.

Total intercept marks = 14 x 3.4 = 48 ( must be another decimal at play somewhere ).
Intercept marks against StKilda = 8
Average without StKilda = 40/13 = 3.1

Wilkie's average = 2.8

But what's an intercept mark, isn't it when the ball is heading towards a Saint, and Sicily gets wetween it and marks it before it gets to the team mate.

What is it when StKilda spot Sicily standing on his own and land it on his chest?

Last time we played the Hawks the Reeves/Meeks duo slaughtered Roma in the tapouts.

The tall Reeves being out really levels the ruck playing field and moreso as Marshall has been playing much better football of late.

What we very much need is the form that Steele rolled out in the last quarter against North to be rolled out for a whole game.

An improved ruck and midfield effectiveness compared to last time will go a long way to us being a chance this week.

That, and as others have already commented for us to not just feed Sicily the ball the whole game again

Despite that Saints won centre clearances 12 to 8. So ruck not the reason we lost.
But Reeves had 11 hitouts to advantage, vs Marshall's 4 , and Meek's 2 so it helps that he's out.

Our forward line was dis functional, their forward line separated our defenders.

Against Richmond last week they won the centre clearances and that gave them more inside 50s.
Sicily's intercept possessions were very high again ( 15).
Worpel , Newcomb and Nash were the centre clearance guys, Prestia and Hopper the Tigers best.

Against us for centre clearances. ( Remembering they were dominating the hitouts which Meek shouldn't be able to do ).
Crouch 4.
Newcomb 3.
Gresham 3.
Worpel 2.
Sinclair 2.
Marshall 2
Day 2
Sicily 1
Byrnes 1

I think Owens should line up there. He can go forward after he wins the clearance.
( then run like crap so he can kick the goal ).

I get that we aren't playing great but last time we played Hawks it wasn't until half way through the last before they started to ramp up and we lost the game in the last 5 minutes. We fix that and we win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back