Preview Round 20, 2023: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 30th July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Hawks

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why everyone thinks Hayes is the solution for experience in the forward line, he’s played 5 games and some of them were not all that good.
Not sure it's experience needed, more so a mature body that can be a strong target, compete in the air and help in the ruck.

That leaves Hayes or Cordy

He’ll get pushed around I think. Happy for him to get a couple of games, just not sure how is the time.
Possibly not, but he's been in good form and know where the goals are. I reckon he could do ok playing FF and relief ruck for 5 minutes a quarter. Our options aside from Heath are:

Cordy - I'm nearly certain that won't work out as he isn't a forward threat and you may as well stick a lamp post down there
Hayes - personally think we'd be mad to bring him in, he has played 1 average reduced minutes 2s game in over 12 months
Campbell - he'd be a good option, but Ross won't play him unless Marshall is injured
Or we just stick with the same

I think it would be great for Heath's development to give him a taste of what it's like towards the end of the season, then he can follow up a couple of games for Sandy and I reckon he'll be absolutely pumped for pre season.

For key forward / ruck our best performing players in reserve would be 1-Campbell and 2-Heath.

Possibly not, but he's been in good form and know where the goals are. I reckon he could do ok playing FF and relief ruck for 5 minutes a quarter. Our options aside from Heath are:

Cordy - I'm nearly certain that won't work out as he isn't a forward threat and you may as well stick a lamp post down there
Hayes - personally think we'd be mad to bring him in, he has played 1 average reduced minutes 2s game in over 12 months
Campbell - he'd be a good option, but Ross won't play him unless Marshall is injured

I think it would be great for Heath's development to give him a taste of what it's like towards the end of the season, then he can follow up a couple of games for Sandy and I reckon he'll be absolutely pumped for pre season.

For key forward / ruck our best performing players in reserve would be 1-Campbell and 2-Heath.
All fair points.

Up and about tonight aren't we, must've had a few too many Ribena's after mummy cooked up some fish fingers and mashed potatoes for din dins. Can't eat solids yet.

Think it's about that time for a few lullabys and a good snooze little man, school tomorrow.
Uh….fish fingers ARE solids…🙄😉

I think we're a real chance against the Tigers. They seem all paranoid about playing at Marvel.
Well, sooky Dimma hated it but unfortunately Mini played there a lot. No fears for him.

This has been a big problem... bombing it deep into the 50 for Philippou, Caminiti or Owens to mark or bring to ground for our smalls but the tall opposition players are marking the ball against us more often than not. I know we have a lot of dump kicks forward but players are doing it from marks just outside 50 consistently enough to indicate this is the instruction from the coaches.

What I would really like to see teams do more from outside 50 is a chaos kick... basically kick the ball along the ground. Sometimes players do this by accident & it creates all sorts of problems for defenders.
Richmond did this all the time when they were up and about, when they played teams with good intercept defenders they would scrub the kick and let the small forwards go to work. Guys like Butler, Higgins, Castagna and Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had gold and white Nike 90 boots back when I skippered the side to a prelim in 2005

images
Soccer boots. Disgusting.

Soccer boots. Disgusting.
They were all the rage back in those days because the laces were on the side so when you kicked the footy the ball didn't have the potential of going sideways (I didn't have that problem anyway, had a searing pin point left peg similar to a Matty Suckling, but heaps better).

Knew full well I had to perform if I wore those every week and my word did I perform. Sub Howard out and put me in, I was shutting down Gorillas every week.

I've mellowed since my blonde streaked hair teen days. I'd much rather go for the Dylan Roberton set-up now. Black boots, black socks. Straight business.

Not sure why everyone thinks Hayes is the solution for experience in the forward line, he’s played 5 games and some of them were not all that good.
Not sure about the solution, but "IF" fit, he is a big body to help the kids in there as well as providing a target that may help the Caminiti's and Sharmans of the world get their hands on the ball a bit more freely.
He 'aint no solution, but he is a good sized piece of the puzzle.
Not sure he's fit anyway.... it'll most likely be Cordy.

Last edited:
Probably because he is more experienced...and so is a viable option to the kids .

Only 5 AFL games, but a lot of very good SA seniors games. Plus he is no kid

Probably because he is more experienced...and so is a viable option to the kids .

Only 5 AFL games, but a lot of very good SA seniors games. Plus he is no kid
I see him as a good promising forward option. Mature, experienced and battle hardened from being one of the best in the sanfl.

Him as a ruck I’m less sold on he’s more just a good key forward especially at his 195cm size who just happens to have been forced to play ruck at seconds level as is common there

The thing about them not playing the Marshall and Campbell combination (effectively two rucks) is where does that leave Max Heath?

They've continually demonstrated that they believe Marshall is the main ruck and that's it, so unless Max Heath becomes some sort of gun fwd/ruck how does he suddenly become a better option than Hayes, Cordy or Campbell?

Just did the ladder predictor. Win the next three and we're 6th/7th. Lose to the Hawks and it's 8th. Lose to either of Carlton or Richmond and they take our spot, we finish 9th.

Big three weeks ahead.
I think we'll lose to the Hawks, and also lose all five games!

BUT, if I'm wrong and we beat the Hawks, I think we're as much of a chance against Geelong as Carlton and Richmond.

Whoever is given the task on Sicily has to represent a real offensive threat, otherwise Sicily will simply run off him.
Or be sufficiently defensive to negate Sicily.
Hard decision.
If the GPS reading on Caminiti tonight was correct at 14km, I’d be inclined to park Cordy in the goal square and tell Caminiti to run everywhere.
I had no idea Sicily is only 188cm. Same as membrey. Why can’t we move membrey back and have our own version?

They were all the rage back in those days because the laces were on the side so when you kicked the footy the ball didn't have the potential of going sideways (I didn't have that problem anyway, had a searing pin point left peg similar to a Matty Suckling, but heaps better).

Knew full well I had to perform if I wore those every week and my word did I perform. Sub Howard out and put me in, I was shutting down Gorillas every week.

I've mellowed since my blonde streaked hair teen days. I'd much rather go for the Dylan Roberton set-up now. Black boots, black socks. Straight business.

My son bought some vintage ones of those on eBay so he could look more floggish. They look more subtle in pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back