Preview Round 20, 2023: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 30th July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Hawks

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m up to the part where they banned Diehard Saint - our most respectful and level-headed poster, for quoting literal fact, a direct statement from a presser lmao
Lmao, the twists and turns in that few days are unbelievable. Just got better and better and better. Never seen a group of supporters (us) collectively rile up so many oppo supporters like that. We were in the zone. Flow state.

Lmao, the twists and turns in that few days are unbelievable. Just got better and better and better. Never seen a group of supporters (us) collectively rile up so many oppo supporters like that. We were in the zone. Flow state.

Jesus, I come across as a nasty bitch. I blame Dard for sending me off course.

Re-reading it has brought me fresh perspective. We will be right.

I also forget how funny I am (and handsome and humble, but not up myself).

Selection looks like a bit of a crapshoot this week.

Under pressure:

Jones (only 2 contested possessions and 11 effective disposals from a mid is trash)
Clark (8 effective disposals)
Pou (had one of his better games but is still on the edge of being dropped)
Billings (couldn't get involved)
Bytel (strong start then disappeared)
Gresham (2 kicks, zero score)

Hill is out. Cordy seems like a guaranteed in as a forward/ruck. Can't see Hayes playing when he just had to sit out after his first game back due to soreness.

Stocker and Byrnes seem like the only others who will be considered. Maybe Campbell if Marshall is cooked.

My guess is Hill and Bytel out, Cordy in and Byrnes sub. The least inspiring and exciting changes possible.

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: NWM, Battle, Sinclair
C: Wood, Steele, Billings
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Owens
F: Butler, Caminiti, Cordy

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Jones
Int: Clark, Phillipou, Windhager, Gresham
Sub: Byrnes

How on earth did membrey go from 3-4 weeks off it six days ago to being available?

Do we dare to dream of Max being available for the Carlton game?

Dunno but Ross did say on 360 king should be right for the Blues game

Not that it'll matter
They will belt us by 30

So after a 12 month layoff, it looks like Hayes will be its straight into the team to help fill a glaring deficiency that could (and should) have been addressed weeks and weeks ago if not for the peak stubbornness of the selection team.

The thing that does my head in is the fact that in bringing him off so little match time, they are acknowledging they knew what the problem was (the lack of a mature tall fwd to help out the inexperienced fwd half and to help out in the ruck) but they flatly refused to look at other options when King, Hayes and Cordy weren't available.

And as the last qtr on Sunday proved - they had a possible solution but ignored it because they believe that Marshall can only provide the best value to the team when he plays as a ruckman - irrespective of the needs and deficiencies of the team in other areas.

The equation is simple - is an A grade performance from Marshall in the ruck + an F Grade performance from the fwds (without Marshall) better than a B grade performance in the ruck (without Marshall) + a B grade performance from the fwds (with Marshall).

And given we kicked 5 goals in the last qtr, after scoring 4 in the first three, I think the answer is obvious.

We are St Kilda so probably but then again they are Carlton so probably not.

It's probably going to be the season-deciding match for us and them

Injury keeps building up for them. Hopefully their hopes for finals are dashed by the time they meet us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after a 12 month layoff, it looks like Hayes will be its straight into the team to help fill a glaring deficiency that could (and should) have been addressed weeks and weeks ago if not for the peak stubbornness of the selection team.

The thing that does my head in is the fact that in bringing him off so little match time, they are acknowledging they knew what the problem was (the lack of a mature tall fwd to help out the inexperienced fwd half and to help out in the ruck) but they flatly refused to look at other options when King, Hayes and Cordy weren't available.

And as the last qtr on Sunday proved - they had a possible solution but ignored it because they believe that Marshall can only provide the best value to the team when he plays as a ruckman - irrespective of the needs and deficiencies of the team in other areas.

The equation is simple - is an A grade performance from Marshall in the ruck + an F Grade performance from the fwds (without Marshall) better than a B grade performance in the ruck (without Marshall) + a B grade performance from the fwds (with Marshall).

And given we kicked 5 goals in the last qtr, after scoring 4 in the first three, I think the answer is obvious.

Largely agree but given that Marshall missed yet another soda, I'm not sure his inclusion in the forwards necessarily lifts them to B grade. He's a pretty rotten forward generally though I loved his mark on the lead and contested pack mark on the weekend.

Largely agree but given that Marshall missed yet another soda, I'm not sure his inclusion in the forwards necessarily lifts them to B grade. He's a pretty rotten forward generally though I loved his mark on the lead and contested pack mark on the weekend.

Marshall has struggled forward for years. He helped the structure but he’s more valuable as a ruck. Put someone else forward.

Just did the ladder predictor. Win the next three and we're 6th/7th. Lose to the Hawks and it's 8th. Lose to either of Carlton or Richmond and they take our spot, we finish 9th.

Big three weeks ahead.

Probably need 13 wins with poor percentage. 12 if everyone else is shit too and fall over. We have a couple of winnable games.

Just did the ladder predictor. Win the next three and we're 6th/7th. Lose to the Hawks and it's 8th. Lose to either of Carlton or Richmond and they take our spot, we finish 9th.

Big three weeks ahead.
Making finals would be great but to do so while stopping Carlton and Richmond from making it would be even better.

Making finals would be great but to do so while stopping Carlton and Richmond from making it would be even better.

I reckon Carlton and Richmond both miss. Geelong have a hard run. GWS look like they could pinch a spot.

I reckon Carlton and Richmond both miss. Geelong have a hard run. GWS look like they could pinch a spot.
Dogs probably the only team with the favourable 3 wins on the run home.

The potential wins are there for us if we can play like we did in the 4th quarter or like we did against Melbourne while kicking straight.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 9.08.21 am.png

Irrespective of who comes in. Maybe? Cordy & Hayes
Outs have to be:

1. Bytel- played out of position & too similar to e.g. Crouch & Steele
2. Billings- very little impact
3. Clark- slow & poor decision making & disposal
4. Gresham- lazy & selfish, comes in & out of the game when he feels like it.
5. Howard- slips over far too often in the contest- spoils is his only effectiveness.
6. Jones- gives grunt & speed- atrocious ball skills

Irrespective of who comes in. Maybe? Cordy & Hayes
Outs have to be:

1. Bytel- played out of position & too similar to e.g. Crouch & Steele
2. Billings- very little impact
3. Clark- slow & poor decision making & disposal
4. Gresham- lazy & selfish, comes in & out of the game when he feels like it.
5. Howard- slips over far too often in the contest- spoils is his only effectiveness.
6. Jones- gives grunt- atrocious ball skills
Highly unlikely we make 6 changes, none which are key forwards or the injured Hill, when we have very little in the VFL to bring in and the players returning from injury are key forwards.

Highly unlikely we make 6 changes, none which are key forwards or the injured Hill, when we have very little in the VFL to bring in and the players returning from injury are key forwards.

The phrase "we have very little in the VFL" has never been less true this year than it is now. I don't think we make six changes, but it does seem like Hayes is very likely, and we need someone for Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back