Prediction Round 20, 2024 - Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was omitted mate.

Not anymore

Comes into the 23 to replace Gov

Extended bench was Ginbey, Trew, Rotham, Hutchinson and Culley

One of that 5 or Petruccelle will be sub.

Previously thought Rotham would be sub but expect he becomes 3rd tall defender with Gov out and Petch to be sub

Every disposal on the weekend, courtesy of the incomparable Alesana

Trew works his ass off and our management of him during his tenure has been dreadful. We haven’t given him the best chance to succeed properly.

Nobody could watch that clip, seeing all the missed handballs and god forbid the kicks, and think his skills are AFL level.

I think you are being overly harsh in your assessment.

He does make some errors but he also does some good stuff too. He is a very inexperienced player at AFL level, probably having played less than 5 full games.

I agree with the point about development.

At least he can find the ball unlike some of our other budding midfielders.

Schofield's fluffed his audition.

Let’s see how they play tomorrow

So far he’s had one good performance against Brisbane and one poor one against St Kilda

Big challenge against an in form Dockers in front of their own fans and wanting to prove a point after getting embarrassed by us in R6

Fair but of cope in this RE its not his fault. if you cant find a release just absorb the hit untill you find a better release instead of a fast turnover at half back which more than not results in a goal. Even going to ground and getting caught htb is better than what he did, at least it should be a slow play in that instance.

Getting very technical here for a 9 game, 22 year old WAFL rookie who's been given a garbage run at AFL development and clearly adjusting to the pace... whilst still finding plenty of the football in a midfield that's getting pumped. For a young bloke, he can find the footy (which is often half the battle) and clearly wants to get it moving.

Re: the video. Boot was average but benefit of the doubt with a few of the handballs there. Often drew the flat-footed recipient into space which is often the point, right? Ginbey for one. I would say that's good vision. Cooked by that horrid Petch clanger later on amongst others.

I don't think any of us are under the illusion that he's going to be a superstar A grader... but Matt Priddis was undrafted, rookie listed by us and had a shocking boot which got slated on here week to week. He was just able to rack up the footy, extract by hand to the polish we had on the outside, tackled and - a WCE board favourite - tried his hardest every week. I'm also not saying he's going to win a premiership and a Brownlow, but he deserves every chance to develop and show us what he's got.

With our list in tatters, I feel he could remain a future depth piece at the very worst.

Getting very technical here for a 9 game, 22 year old WAFL rookie who's been given a garbage run at AFL development and clearly adjusting to the pace... whilst still finding plenty of the football in a midfield that's getting pumped. For a young bloke, he can find the footy (which is often half the battle) and clearly wants to get it moving.

Re: the video. Boot was average but benefit of the doubt with a few of the handballs there. Often drew the flat-footed recipient into space which is often the point, right? Ginbey for one. I would say that's good vision. Cooked by that horrid Petch clanger later on amongst others.

I don't think any of us are under the illusion that he's going to be a superstar A grader... but Matt Priddis was undrafted, rookie listed by us and had a shocking boot which got slated on here week to week. He was just able to rack up the footy, extract by hand to the polish we had on the outside, tackled and - a WCE board favourite - tried his hardest every week. I'm also not saying he's going to win a premiership and a Brownlow, but he deserves every chance to develop and show us what he's got.

With our list in tatters, I feel he could remain a future depth piece at the very worst.
I'm not against playing him - the criticism of his disposal is valid is all.

If he has half the career of pridda great

Just saw the presser...

Darling in the backline?

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

I'm not against playing him - the criticism of his disposal is valid is all.

If he has half the career of pridda great
Feel like he just rushes a bit because he’s trying to be instinctive. At least he attacks the footy and makes quick decisions - they might not always be the best decisions or best execution yet, but he’s not a lumbering ineffective plodder like XON or Edwards

Amazing attitude to Trew from many here. He's played 9 AFL games. His captain is 10 times the offender for rubbish disposal.

He can find the footy and that is a huge issue that our Chessers, Ledwards, Jones, Petrucelles et al are not addressing.

Trew 100% should play out the year in the firsts. He may settle and the disposal improve or he may not but at least he will have finally had a decent shot and everyone learns where he is at.
I believe Trew's was also investigated for the shooting of JFK, he also caused rap music as well as being responsible for Maccas being allowed to sell pickles in their 'burgers'. Thinking of which, it was because of him that Meat Loaf appalled at the GF. It's all Trew.

Get a grip, gripers. Or maybe ... let go?

So if you read the play and have a teammate who can run into space and you deliver the ball into that space but your teammate either can't be bothered or can't read the play but an oppo player further away can and ends up getting to the ball first is that a crap disposal, turnover merchant etc??

Also if you are in tight and your teammate has a clear run through the congestion so you snap out a quick handball in front of him to run onto and he just stands flat footed watching the ball fly past his chest to an oppo player further away is that also "crapping your dax", poor disposal etc etc??

It is easy to call a player for poor disposal and turnovers but sometimes there is more to it and the way a lot of players are going about it at the moment are great kick can look very poor or brilliant depending on the want and will of teammates.

Also called Darling in earlier in the week and the reasoning was no fwd 50 tackles last week to 30-odd. He at least brings pressure and he will probably have for fwd 50 tackles this week than the whole team did last week, which was of course 0, nil, ziltch, nadda, nought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not anymore. Cripps has notably been selfish and lazy for a while now. Darling lost his pace a couple of years ago.
They both still get tackles inside 50, not as elite as they were but Darling is still top 40 avg and Cripps close behind.

Considering the state of our performances and how easy it goes out thats not an awful effort for 2 old blokes

So if you read the play and have a teammate who can run into space and you deliver the ball into that space but your teammate either can't be bothered or can't read the play but an oppo player further away can and ends up getting to the ball first is that a crap disposal, turnover merchant etc??

Also if you are in tight and your teammate has a clear run through the congestion so you snap out a quick handball in front of him to run onto and he just stands flat footed watching the ball fly past his chest to an oppo player further away is that also "crapping your dax", poor disposal etc etc??

Spot on assessment I feel.

The handball was clearly to JWill looking for a quick 1-2 to get a break on his opponent and Jack just assumed it wasn't for him because NONE of our players do this basic kind of stuff.

Trew had a few poor disposals for sure but he was also made to look silly by team mates who just aren't thinking about doing anything proactive.

Petch did **** all last week. Not sure how he stayed in. As for the Darling selection, I am wondering if the selection team have an overriding say compared to the coach coz otherwise Schofield is stupid.
Well theyve said Witho is injured, and the other emergency was Sheed. Not a lot of choice there tbh

I dont think there is anything to the speculation Darling plays as a defender, we have HEdwards Barrass and Rotham still in the side, with Hough not having an obvious matchup he could also play tall if required too

He won’t play back. He’ll clog up the forward line with Oscar, Waterman and Williams.

Jake Waterman will be the one far away from home getting the ball in useless spots….

To my untrained eye, Trew's strength seems to be his hands in the contest. He's generally clean and feeds the ball to the outside well, and can link up through the middle.

His footskills seem average at best, and he's not quick. We could afford to have one player like him in the side I think, but no more. If he only has that one strength to his game, he needs to become absolutely dominant in it to make up for other deficiencies. Does he have that in him? I'm not sure. So basically, he's a poor man's Matt Priddis!?

Happy to persist with him at the moment as long as we don't try turn him into something he isn't.

To my untrained eye, Trew's strength seems to be his hands in the contest. He's generally clean and feeds the ball to the outside well, and can link up through the middle.

His footskills seem average at best, and he's not quick. We could afford to have one player like him in the side I think, but no more. If he only has that one strength to his game, he needs to become absolutely dominant in it to make up for other deficiencies. Does he have that in him? I'm not sure. So basically, he's a poor man's Matt Priddis!?

Happy to persist with him at the moment as long as we don't try turn him into something he isn't.
Fair assessment. Our problem (on here) is that many compare him with others on our list to justify selection. That's ok, but we need players that beat opponents and set up play. I don't see Trew as a play maker. Ok for now, but not part of the future unless he has an epifany.

The biggest problem for Trew is that we have to add Hewett to the midfield next year, along with a top 3 draft pick mid, Hall will push for games, along with likely a random fringe mid(carrol/Sheldrick/Dev/garcia/etc)who will probably be ahead of him.

He needs to be better in the midfield than he is considering he cant play any other roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back