Preview Round 21 The Sydney Swans vs The Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely Corps, Bevan deserves more wraps than he is getting. Not only as a forward, where he played very well last night. But his performances as a small defender the last few weeks have been very good as well. Has actually improved his game as a defender, doesn't give silly frees away, doesn't give away easy goals.

Jack, JPK, Hanners are smashing it in the middle. They win clearances at will, outbody older midfielders and as young guys we have a very solid inside midfield contingent (along with Bird). Jack's 2nd quarter was amazing. He was in everything, and was the catalyst for our 6 goals to 1 run. Jack's quick kicks under pressure are sensational. His kick from the right forward pocket under pressure chipping over to Jude was incredible. Hanners played on Cross for much of the night and did really well. 27 touches and less than 20 for Cross.

TDL is just a natural forward. Not a lot of him, but he's always in front, is pretty quick and has very sticky hands. Marks out in front of his eyes almost every time and is a wonderful set shot for goal. Good snap at goal as well.

Meredith had a very bubbly first half but made a few errors and made a few hospital passes. I think he will get there but he is just a little off being a weekly senior player. Just a few of his kicks and handpasses weren't to the advantage of his teammate and the ball was turned over. Rohan did the same a few times, often to Jesse who was in good position to contest but the ball just wasn't put in the right position.

Jetta just looks more confident now when he kicks the ball. I think now that he's slotted his first set shot that will give him even more belief that he can kick 'em from anywhere. Whenever he is around the ball something happens, he is so dangerous. Burns his opposition off every time, did it to Harbrow who is very quick a couple of times. And his field kicking is looking more consistent now. Star.

McVeigh played a very good game too, hasn't got much attention, but i thought that was one of his better games. Finished off and showed the classy disposal we need from him. Jude was just Jude. 11 tackles and half of his touches were contested. Such a champion.

Smith in the first half looked a little off and Johnson led him to the ball a few times, but after half time Nick won more of the ball and made the good decisions that make me believe he will be a very good player, not just an outstanding tagger.

Dunno what it was but Goodesy seemed a bit off too. Maybe trying too hard or whatever, but he found the ball enough but his disposal and decision making just seemed a bit sketchy. Turned it over a bit. However, what i have loved from him this year is how much more solid his contested marking is now. I remember him saying in the preseason he wwas working hardest to improve in this area and it has really showed this year. His body positioning and body work to win the front and best position in the contest and his strong hands now have improved out of sight.

Grundy beat Hall most of the night in the one on ones and provided heaps of rebound, turned into a wonderful CHB. But Teddy deserves a lot of credit. Has stepped up in LRT's absence and has been very good despite being outsized most weeks. Big props to him. Tadhg and Marty both had very strong games as well. Marty in particular, not many skill errors and very strong defensively. Rhyce smashed Giansiracusa and won quite a bit of contested ball down back as well, best game in a while from Shaw.

Kirky is just a legend. Doesn't get the credit for how well he can play on the HB or HF flanks. He has done it often the last 2 years. Very clever the way he uses his body in marking contests and just wore down Murphy and Gilbee and didn't let them get in to the game at all. So happy that performance came for Kirky. It was a very well deserved win for hm and Roosy to farewell the best ground in the AFL (apart from the 'G).

Gotta love this club.

Few better nights than that at the SCG. I haven't read through all the comments, but I wasn't really into the boo Barry thing, even though he obviously plays for another side.

Bulldogs came out firing in the first, but that second quarter was one of our best we've played this year. We simply blew them away in the second, then held them at arm's length after that. TDL's best game so far, Jet looked great, Rohan has balls of steel, White is showing us that he has what it takes, and then there was Kirky...Kirky...

I got refused entry to the Dolphin on the way home but I didn't even give a shit, I was just too happy that we had finally sent the Bulldogs home as losers.

I reckon the booing of Barry was as much about the respect (fear?) that the Sydney crowd have for his ability. Particularly in the first quarter, while the Dogs were looking good, we all knew Barry has the ability to do real damage on the scoreboard. I didn't particularly like the fact he was booed but if he'd only had a mediocre season for the Dogs, I suspect there would have been less of it.

I did enjoy Goodes' work in the first quarter to make sure Barry knew he was now on the other side.

Yeh i booed him the first time he touched it just didn't feel right! I felt a bit dirty booing him to be honest. I still love him too much. So i didn't boo him for the rest of the game, he did way too much for our club to boo him even jokingly i think.

When the Dogs were up and about in the first quarter Barry was right in the think of it. Kicked 1, set up one after a marking contest and then another when he was just too strong for Mummy in the ruck and fed the handball out. I was really worried he was gonna break the game wide open after that. He was on fire.

My head hurts.What a great night,you could feel the spirit around the crowd.Up yours to the people who say Swans supporters have no passion.As has been said already Hanners brilliant,Jetta good game,Bevo had one of his best games.Even Pyke had his best game,they all were great.Special mention to MR JACK,he gets better and better and if he keeps it up will become one of the top players.Shaw done a great job on Girawhatever and Grundy running off BBB was clever coaching.I did'nt Boo Baz never will but he plays for them now.I love supporting this club and the players and coaching staff should be proud of the effort and where they sit on the ladder this year.So many injuries but the players who come in do their job even the so called hacks whop cope so much crap

If any of you are the swans supporter who sits behind me and spends every second of every game putting shit on Jesse I am sorry for nicely putting you in your place.My wife thinks you might move seats next year,everyone around us hopes so

what an awesome night, awesome game, awesome atmosphere...everyone really lifted...everyone played a great game...finally beat a top 4 team and did it with style...

how good was kirky... he made it a night to remember

If any of you are the swans supporter who sits behind me and spends every second of every game putting shit on Jesse I am sorry for nicely putting you in your place.My wife thinks you might move seats next year,everyone around us hopes so
Haha, maybe it's the guy who used to sit in front of us in 06. Every time a Swans player kicked and didn't hit his target, he'd scream out "TO WHO!!". I swear one day I was going to punch him, he was awful to sit near. Had to laugh though, as he would often scream it out, then the kick would hit its target and we would all laugh as he shrunk down in his seat. Thankfully he moved in 07, but sadly it might be near you...;)

Haha, maybe it's the guy who used to sit in front of us in 06. Every time a Swans player kicked and didn't hit his target, he'd scream out "TO WHO!!". I swear one day I was going to punch him, he was awful to sit near. Had to laugh though, as he would often scream it out, then the kick would hit its target and we would all laugh as he shrunk down in his seat. Thankfully he moved in 07, but sadly it might be near you...;)
I get as frustrated as any supporter but this CLOWN spends his whole time being negative about certain players,White being one of his favourites.If its the same guy you can have him back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just watched the match i wow how good was the crowd, wish i could have been there to cheer kirky and roosy off, oh and i loved this...

[youtube]Y-en3rE6_7s[/youtube]

That goal defies the laws of physics. :D

Dennis-Lane is fast becoming my favourite player. Has a lot of awareness and is a really intelligent player.

Am I getting it wrong, or is the form of TDL, and McGlynn before he was injured, a lot to do with the crowd Jesse White draws when he leads, and the contests he forces, leaving space for the smaller blokes??? Bevan is another.

I know I defend White, and his stats are not what stats are supposed to be in this era of Supercoach and Dream Team, but for a player who cops so much criticism, his presence in our forwards seems to have helped other players around him kick a lot of goals.

It might even be that we've changed our style to accommodate White's role as basically a decoy.

I didn't see very much of the game last night; this is more an observation on the past several weeks.

Am I getting it wrong, or is the form of TDL, and McGlynn before he was injured, a lot to do with the crowd Jesse White draws when he leads, and the contests he forces, leaving space for the smaller blokes??? Bevan is another.

I know I defend White, and his stats are not what stats are supposed to be in this era of Supercoach and Dream Team, but for a player who cops so much criticism, his presence in our forwards seems to have helped other players around him kick a lot of goals.

It might even be that we've changed our style to accommodate White's role as basically a decoy.

I didn't see very much of the game last night; this is more an observation on the past several weeks.

+ 1

except i watched a replay of last nights game already. Did some nice things in the first quarter but was quiet for the rest of the game.

You're bang on the money. He didn't have as much impact on that respect last night but still did some ok thing. He was still quiet regarding his actual statistics of course, but he had Brian Lake/Tommy Williams playing on him as the only tall. TDL's first was a front and square crumb below a Jesse contest. Can't remember off the top of my head if there were any others but i would guess there were.

I did notice he got a lot of bad delivery last night. There 2 in particular i remember, one from Meredith and one from Rohan that couldn't have been kicked any more to his disadvantage in the marking contest. Accordingly, the ball either was turned over or went out of bounds.

Was it Jesse who fed the little handball out to Kieren for his quick kick goal about 35m out in the 2nd? I think it was but could be mistake.

Anyway, I'm happy with Jesse is doing up forward. Doing exactly what we need of him right now. Drawing defenders, crashing packs and has been causing crumbs for the smalls TDL, Jetta, Moore, Jack, McGlynn over the last month.

LOL Goat

Your love for White is tempered by Bungee's irrational negitivity.

But yes since his poor form in the middle of the year he has picked up and last night ensured Lake didn't kill us like he has other sides this year. He is presenting better and more intelligently ensuring Dennis Lane has more space. Lnight he was used as a decoy and we went looking for TDL, as White had Lake and Goodes, when up front had Morris, and by going to TDL we kept their two super defenders out of the play.

I still think there is a chunk of room for more output from White and hopefully next year when Bradshaw gets down there more often we can send White to CHF where his power runs will allow to play a more natural role for his athleticism.

LOL Goat

Your love for White is tempered by Bungee's irrational negitivity.

But yes since his poor form in the middle of the year he has picked up and last night ensured Lake didn't kill us like he has other sides this year. He is presenting better and more intelligently ensuring Dennis Lane has more space. Lnight he was used as a decoy and we went looking for TDL, as White had Lake and Goodes, when up front had Morris, and by going to TDL we kept their two super defenders out of the play.

I still think there is a chunk of room for more output from White and hopefully next year when Bradshaw gets down there more often we can send White to CHF where his power runs will allow to play a more natural role for his athleticism.

That was the second part of my thinking ... if and when we see Bradshaw back in the side, I can see White being freed up more and able to take marks and kick goals himself, with key defenders havint to focus on Bradshaw.

Unfortunately, as I've said for some time, I don;t think Bradshaw will play again this season, and if he does it will be a real bonus for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 21 The Sydney Swans vs The Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back