Prediction Round 23, 2024: Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago we would have been rubbing our hands together.
So much of the optimism has been beaten out of us.Doom and gloom are regulars in our best 22.
If our mids can win at least 40% of the clearances we can win! There I’ve said it!
Now I’ll put my hands over my eyes and run and hide in a dark corner!!

Regarding the sacrificial wing role, I feel like as a club we've remained a victim of a pre-standrule, Gaff and Masten mindset where we had a switch kicking transition gameplan and two endurance beasts who as high picks really got given the time to find their roles/footy IQ as we developed our style partly around them. (Side note probably part of why Sheed who came in later functioned better without Gaff in the side.)

The game itself has changed, our squad has changed and our choices for wing roles have changed. I really do hope whoever our head coach is next season puts a high priority on how we think about wing roles cause they're consistently inconsistent on game day the past few years.

Players like Hall, Chesser, Ginbey etc do seem hesitant on the wing and it does feel like they're indecisive whether to pressure, push back, lead, defend at any point. Think we've seen with Ginbey in the backline how a clear role transforms him into a visibly hard, decisive player - we're demanding high footy IQ from players who logically just wouldn't have it yet and a team around them with a still-unsettled style of play.

Teams like the Pies last year just got their wings to run in tram track lines and support the wave however they saw fit, whereas others like Sydney feel like they adjust their expectations of each winger based on their attributes (let Gulden be attacking, Jordan run in and tag etc). Less complicated and better for development, + at the Beagles I feel it'd be hard to develop a high IQ outside game with the skillsets of teammates around you. However we do it I hope it's with our development of young players in mind, I think the Halls and Chessers have more to show than they have been able to.

Be cool to see the other 5-10k seats that we might not take all of to be filled with purple as they bite their tounges cheer us on and want us to knock off the blues so they can stay in the 8 xD

The easiest goal he’s ever kicked?

Are you talking about the one that Ford just got nominated for goal of the week?
Yes, because Ford was in an impossible position to kick a goal, hemmed next to the behind post, yet he was able to waltz one way and another while his opponent, Hall, was mesmerised until Ford found himself in position to kick a goal, which he did. A goal from nothing that should never have been possible. Not Ford's fault he was gifted it.

Yes, because Ford was in an impossible position to kick a goal, hemmed next to the behind post, yet he was able to waltz one way and another while his opponent, Hall, was mesmerised until Ford found himself in position to kick a goal, which he did. A goal from nothing that should never have been possible. Not Ford's fault he was gifted it.

Sounds super easy.

I reckon you guys should account for us comfortably….we are shot.
Just a question though, would you prefer to beat us and knock us out of finals, or allow 😁 us to win, and potentially take Freo’s spot?
Who do you hate more?
I take the win every time. Im more interested in my footy team than what other teams are doing. A few around here have advocated losing as the better option to spite Freo but will turn around and say that we live in Freos head without a hint of sarcasm.
Blues are in a spot of bother and it is the best chance we have had for years to knock you off. I give us a good chance but know better than to trust this team enough to have any confidence.

Regarding the sacrificial wing role, I feel like as a club we've remained a victim of a pre-standrule, Gaff and Masten mindset where we had a switch kicking transition gameplan and two endurance beasts who as high picks really got given the time to find their roles/footy IQ as we developed our style partly around them. (Side note probably part of why Sheed who came in later functioned better without Gaff in the side.)

The game itself has changed, our squad has changed and our choices for wing roles have changed. I really do hope whoever our head coach is next season puts a high priority on how we think about wing roles cause they're consistently inconsistent on game day the past few years.

Players like Hall, Chesser, Ginbey etc do seem hesitant on the wing and it does feel like they're indecisive whether to pressure, push back, lead, defend at any point. Think we've seen with Ginbey in the backline how a clear role transforms him into a visibly hard, decisive player - we're demanding high footy IQ from players who logically just wouldn't have it yet and a team around them with a still-unsettled style of play.

Teams like the Pies last year just got their wings to run in tram track lines and support the wave however they saw fit, whereas others like Sydney feel like they adjust their expectations of each winger based on their attributes (let Gulden be attacking, Jordan run in and tag etc). Less complicated and better for development, + at the Beagles I feel it'd be hard to develop a high IQ outside game with the skillsets of teammates around you. However we do it I hope it's with our development of young players in mind, I think the Halls and Chessers have more to show than they have been able to.
Well said. Agree wholeheartedly.

Just a question though, would you prefer to beat us and knock us out of finals, or allow 😁 us to win, and potentially take Freo’s spot?
Who do you hate more?
1723465195101.png

I'm sure other results can make this happen!

Freo fans forced to cheer us on this weekend to give them the best chance of scraping through to finals....

.....in Andrew Gaff's farewell and life membership game.

Happy Hair GIF by Afound

Who do you hate more?
Definitely Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When an opponent is a couple of metres away with ball in hand I cannot see a universe ( Auskick included) where you stand and watch.Sorry mate, footy may be becoming a chess match but you can’t move pieces without possession, and you can’t let your opponent make multiple moves without disrupting his patterns.
I literally just told you what hes probably thinking, he looked hesitant and unsure what his job was. Thats very normal fora kid who is trying too hard to listen to instructions.
Hes a kid doing a new role, let him learn it fully or wait to see him in a more natural role before judging.

Last edited:
I take the win every time. Im more interested in my footy team than what other teams are doing. A few around here have advocated losing as the better option to spite Freo but will turn around and say that we live in Freos head without a hint of sarcasm.
Blues are in a spot of bother and it is the best chance we have had for years to knock you off. I give us a good chance but know better than to trust this team enough to have any confidence.
This. They're the one's who live for seeing us do badly, because they haven't had any real success of their own. I just care about winning, don't really care how Freo finishes. I wouldn't begrudge them and their fans some finals success, though I don't see Flagmantle a threat this year.

If we do win I see it as more of a mercy killing - would Blues fans really want to limp into finals with this list and gameplan? I can't see them winning the grand final any more than us - which is 0% as we can't mathematically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back