Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I might have been watching the wrong game, but I thought Webster and Ross were one of few who could hold their head high tonight.

Jimmy is one of the very few players we have willing to do anything to disrupt play and despite the occasional skill error or misjudgement has improved out of sight. I really don’t understand why people are constantly calling for his head.

I’ve also read plenty of posts about Seb turning the ball over by foot, but I actually thought he was a lot neater and more composed than most on the night.
He definitely played his best footy for the year, and hopefully has returned to the form of 2017.

Oh, and Nath Brown out of the side.. no thanks. We’re losing by 50 points with him, I’d hate to see how we go without him. 1v1 he has been strong this year, and with our midfield pressure, or lack thereofit I could expect him to do much more.

Prettt obvious there is not one problem but multiple; recruitment, development, coaches, cattle - it’s all there to see.

StCicatriz called it early, those that attacked him have egg on their face & if they continue to deny it, it won’t take long until they come around!

We didn’t drink at the draft well long enough, develop our young players good enough & instead prioritised winning. As such, recruitment & development have taken a hit.

No, we don’t need another full rebuild, but we need to go back to the well & invest on youth - which includes current listed players & future listed.

Unfortunately the direction of the club the last 24 months has set us back 2 years! Get it right ffs.

Line in the sand moment:
- play & develop youth
- no room for blokes like armo in the 22
- start playing goat in the guts, develop our next gen in the middle

The next 5 months will give an indication if Richo is the right man for 2019 & beyond. Can he really develop talent? Will he develop talent or will his self interests get in the way. Get on board Richo or **** off!

Last edited:
Why is there no doubt. Effort didn’t even seem close to the problem tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm over the constant emphasis on 'effort' they are a top flight professional football team - effort should be a given - the under 12's know you have bring effort - we have been recruiting with talk of skill and have all these supposedly good left foot kicks from Pelchen and all the coaches can ever talk a about( publicly) is effort or lack of effort or saints football or effort or some more about effort - they really should be able to say on the first day at the club to every player - "here mate here's your contract - don't forget to read the last paragraph it's about bringing 100% every time you pull on a saints jumper and cross the white line to play for the first team" - after that they should concentrate on skill , fitness, game plan ,tactics

Get a new coach - get a new captain - clean a few out at end of year

the good thing about these losses is we're finally peeling the bandaid off. players like stevens, armo, weller (hasn't played yet but still), hickey, even longer atm etc aren't the answer. Our youth (our actual youth, not our false youth like newnes, bruce, lonie) when played in their positions are actually good. they're doing better than the players they replace. Acres and Sincs (when played in the middle), coffield, steele when played in position, ROMA. We just have to give up on finals aspirations and play the kids in their spots because we have some good ones.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Jack Lukosius looks incredible if we were to get the spoon, 196 cm, leads and marks like roo, fast as steven, agile as roberton, would be the best kick in our team. Can play wing, CHF, wherever. Just sayin, the draft can keep us sane in times like these

The Richmond game last year is an example of when we do make the most of those entries rather then squander them. Richmond still came back a bit in that game and wiped about 30 points from the score but the damage was well done by that point. Had we capitalized on our entries tonight we could have came into half time up by 5 - 6 goals. Could Adelaide have come back from that? Absolutely but then it would just be even.

For all the bitching about our game plan it actually works in regards to most general play. What does hurt are the aspects of conversion to actual goals and breaking opposition momentum such as in the third quarter.
One thing about that game... The way we finished it is pretty much how we’ve played for the next 10 games - very ordinary

I reckon it's not even another rebuild, just play kids and move out some players who aren't really in the future plans. It all looks pretty organic. I'm not sure on the coach, can't see anyone doing any better really. We play a very inexperienced squad then freak out when they don't win.

I know I upset people when I say rest Paddy but he's not getting better being demoralised in the ones. We should play Bruce as our only tall forward and have Battle and smalls in.

Long deserves a shout out for his game tonight, he's done a heap of pressure acts and ran all over the ground to cause turn overs. He's not an amazing player but his effort was outstanding. Coffield looks as good as any first gamer I have seen.

Yeah the word ‘rebuild’ was the wrong choice. Just get games into the kids and develop that list.

Agree with you RE Long, he didn’t get that many touches but just the way he moves I think we have a star on our hands and he needs to keep playing.

Reflecting on it today, yesterday felt like a game in 2014 or 2015 where we compete for a half then fall away and end up losing by a big margin - the scoreline feels a bit unfair. Back then it was indicative of a young and inexperienced list building and that’s where our list is still at when you look at games played and age.

Turning the list Lyon left into a balanced list age wise with the right level of talent to compete is a really tough job and maybe we underestimated that.

We’ve butchered our drafting a bit and a couple of elite mids in that midfield would make a massive difference but our drafting, trading and failure to attract the talent in FA has been done to death.

Last edited:
One thing about that game... The way we finished it is pretty much how we’ve played for the next 10 games - very ordinary

Yes, the pattern of that game was actually very similar to many others. We had high effort for half the game, dropped off apart from that. It's just that we got lucky with finishing that day, when usually we finish poorly.

Yes, the pattern of that game was actually very similar to many others. We had high effort for half the game, dropped off apart from that. It's just that we got lucky with finishing that day, when usually we finish poorly.
I keep reiterating that the Richmond game is the exception, not the rule. A broken clock can look great twice a day, just like a footy team can look like world beaters once or twice a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know. Maybe it’s my kids slept through the night or the Valium in my cornflakes, but I don’t think last night was all that bad. We all know we’re we are at as a team.. We played the reigning grand finalists, with a bunch of kids who acquitted themselves extremely well.

Marshall and Coffield showed us part of the future. Paddy - and I’ve been one of his biggest critics, at least showed a willing attack of the ball.

Richo may not be the coach to take us forward, I don’t know. But I’m not too worried about that after round 3. If he’s not, there are a few we’ll credentialed ones waiting.

We’re going to finish bottom 6 this year, that’s a reality. But that also means a top 6 kid to add to Clark, Coffield & Co who in my opinion, will be the ones to take us to the finals in years to come. When Acres, Billings, Sinclair, Clark, Coff and Marshall are in their prime running through the mid.

Not sure what step of the 12 step Saint Supporter program I’m up to now, maybe 3 or 4. Can’t wait for step 8 when I get to confront all those I’ve wronged.

View attachment 480290

Jack Billings was so far below his average it's a worry. Nathan Wright well below his average, which wasn't much to start with. Armitage played his best game for the year and that speaks volumes for where he is at form wise.

How Armitage finished that high is beyond me. He was pathetic, and yet finishes above Steven & Acres? Even Coffield had more of it at a higher quality ffs

the good thing about these losses is we're finally peeling the bandaid off. players like stevens, armo, weller (hasn't played yet but still), hickey, even longer atm etc aren't the answer. Our youth (our actual youth, not our false youth like newnes, bruce, lonie) when played in their positions are actually good. they're doing better than the players they replace. Acres and Sincs (when played in the middle), coffield, steele when played in position, ROMA. We just have to give up on finals aspirations and play the kids in their spots because we have some good ones.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Jack Lukosius looks incredible if we were to get the spoon, 196 cm, leads and marks like roo, fast as steven, agile as roberton, would be the best kick in our team. Can play wing, CHF, wherever. Just sayin, the draft can keep us sane in times like these

Good post especially with regard to the bandaid analogy.

With regard to the draft, I’m all for getting Riewoldt v2 however we need to prioritise midfielders, as such, I wouldn’t pick Lukosious unless we had a plan to obtain another top 10 pick ie trade Paddy or next years first.

If we end up with pick 1, which imo is a strong possibility especially if the arse well & truly falls out towards the back end of the season then I’d look at trading pick 1 for 2 first rounders. Rankine & Hill would be a dream result. Unfortunately I think Walsh will be out of our range if we did this trade. He looks extremely unlikely to fall outside of the top 3 along with Lukosious & King (fwd one).

Armo has to go, he's cooked.
Billings & gresh have been really disappointing, big kick up the bum.

Loved Marshall, for a 2nd gamer he did really well. I was shocked to see a ruck in our colours marking the ball.

We'll start having players requesting trades come years end if nothing changes.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Richo is losing it at the selection table ... Armo should not be in the side. Too often Richo appears afraid to take a risk and trust a young player . Koby stevens playing the first 2 games was a waste and pointless selection

Acres nearly bog on a wing round one.. next 2 games lets play him forward

Sinclair career best year on a wing.. this year let’s play him forward

Steele developing inside mid but let’s play him forward!!!

Hunter Clark drafted as a mid but let’s play him forward and back then drop him!!!

Why are we playing these blokes out of position so we can fit Armo and previously koby and others into our midfield !!!

Acres needs to be at every centre bounce! Our midfield is very concerning . Basically every midfielder at the centre bounces tonight is the same player except for Steven.

We need to get these different types of players in there.

Ross had a great year last year yes but my god he turns it over and just tries to be so fancy . God help any forward in our side while they’re making leads our mids are handballing overusing kicking sideways allowing defenders to flood back ...

Pull your finger out time to be brave Richo take some risks Armo to the twos as a start

And I swear I’ll blow a fuse if I hear the same old rehearsed shit from Richo try being honest and genuine with the fans for once!!!!!!!
I’ve said it before but the players are being played out of position because we have too many of the same player! We have an array of Half Back flankers and Half Forward types, all the similar skill sets, sizes, athleticism etc

Then we have guys such as Acres who is a midfielder being wasted down forward in a team who struggles to get the ball forward and he of all people should be playing 90% of games in an around the centre bounce.

If we were allowed to sack richo by the afl which would be doubtful anyway do people really think that is the answer 3 rounds in. Let’s look at it logically. Who would we get at this stage first of all. How could they fix skills which is the real problem during the game how do we get the close 3 million dollars it would cost to sack richo. How does that fix the recruiting of unskilled and the wrong type of players and how stupid would we look to our supporters and sponsees after just re signing him

I know people richo to be the problem because that is easy to fix. The list is the problem and that is a much longer fix. By the we have probably sacked the most coaches in the afl. How many flags has that got us. The answer is none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody acknowledged we are one of the worst teams in the AFL. Skill wise, game plan, talent. I think we need to face up to
the fact we are just not good enough to challenge for finals. The current era under Richardson is not working.
Yes. That’s why it’s a player & coaching issue. Development has been poor, so players play poorly & performance is poor

The goal kicking is a puzzle but there are answers.

1. Not many if any of our forwards are reliable shots at goal being a set shot or snap.
2. Poor delivery and slow movement forward allows defence to out number and force us wide where we are taking shots from.
3. Our ball movement breaks down so much in transition the players are fatigued and under pressure when having shots.
4. Poorly skilled players having shots eg Newnes.
5. Players not having the confidence to play their natural game eg Long had a great game of pressure acts but not getting into dangerous positions to have shots on goal. Also flies for marks with key talls when he should be crumbing.
6. Poor decision making in the forward 50 eg Gresham being selfish and getting caught then Bruce passing when he should have had a shot.
7. Forward Players who dont work hard enough when they have close checking opponents.

Its really just the end result of a team that as a group are lacking the core players or leaders to drive them forward. We have too many quiet personality type players who are not leaders.

Isnt this why we have Ben Dixon on our pay roll? Money for nothing.:eek:

Then Richo, contract or no contract ......
6949C012-4D4E-436F-934E-137369E6560F.gif

From what I’ve read Aaron Hamill did a pretty good job at Sandringham...
A7BCC85F-5A2C-4F7F-9CC7-FB51312B6E9E.gif

:p

Good post especially with regard to the bandaid analogy.

With regard to the draft, I’m all for getting Riewoldt v2 however we need to prioritise midfielders, as such, I wouldn’t pick Lukosious unless we had a plan to obtain another top 10 pick ie trade Paddy or next years first.

If we end up with pick 1, which imo is a strong possibility especially if the arse well & truly falls out towards the back end of the season then I’d look at trading pick 1 for 2 first rounders. Rankine & Hill would be a dream result. Unfortunately I think Walsh will be out of our range if we did this trade. He looks extremely unlikely to fall outside of the top 3 along with Lukosious & King (fwd one).
agree on the mids. I'd counter that by saying lukosious can play wing, racks em up and has a better boot than walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back