Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't like body contact so mid doesn't really suit him. I think we use him well generally but his effort has dropped away. He could play wing but he's a bit slow. I agree we are better wth hi but if he won't play to his best what do we do? Let him coast?

I think the coasting call is unfair.. I think he has improved massively with his physicality and it's time to run through the middle more often

it is our birthright as males who live their life through sport to act as dickheads. it's in our chromosomes.

For me it's watching things go in directions that I don't think are right and having absolutely no control over it. I have my own business and everything I do is in my control, I find it really frustrating to hand over mentally. I have a deluded sense of my own greatness and think I'm able to fix everything with very little evidence to back it up. If I had more time I'd try to get on the board and throw my weight around. Sadly every other dick with a similar temperament has already had a go and ****ed it up.

I’d say 5 tackles i50 for a match is far more disappointing.

Its a an issue with our forwards. Even Billings and Gresham aren't defensive players and Paddy and Bruce just cant get to the contests to tackle. And Long probably isn't an AFL footballer. If Weller is fit he needs to come in not that he will make a huge difference.

Whilst it's good to be able to come on here and vent our frustrations on how poorly our Saints are performing and what everybody else should do to solve said problems, there's actually only one we can control.

TURN UP TO THE BLOODY GAME!

19,000 odd people on a Saturday night against a side with a strong away support group?
C'mon let's get serious.
Yes, I know it's indicative of where the playing group is at from a performance level, but sitting on your ass and taking pot shots at players from the comfort of your own home is doing nothing but further hurt the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt people are seriously calling for Richo's head. More that things at the top are out of kilter and things need to change. Gameplan (whatever that is) looks too complex or taxing for our squad. We need to play a type of football that fits with our selected team. Everything looks too hard for them at the moment. At one stage last night, Sincs looked up the field and did two 360's waiting for someone to offer him an option but nobody bothered to lead for him. Shit, just lead straight at him.
I'd drop Brown and Geary, select Goddard and Rice, swap Bruce for Battle, simplify the gameplan and snaffle up the no. 1 pick.

To be fair Brown was good last night. Geary battled manfully in the fourth but by then the damage had been done. White didn’t do much though.

Whilst it's good to be able to come on here and vent our frustrations on how poorly our Saints are performing and what everybody else should do to solve said problems, there's actually only one we can control.

19,000 odd people on a Saturday night against a side with a strong away support group?
C'mon let's get serious.
Yes, I know it's indicative of where the playing group is at from a performance level, but sitting on your ass and taking pot shots at players from the comfort of your own home is doing nothing but further hurt the club.
It isn’t a new thing though, even when we were good the bandwagoners come out of the woodwork as soon as we are crap the same thing happens, rinse and repeat. Our supporters are some of the biggest fair weather ones going around.

Half of them have no idea what people in this group have put into the club, the years of hurt, heartbreak, blood, sweat and tears. It’s embarrassing.

C'mon let's get serious.

I reckon if they played a good brand of footy, people would naturally turn up, but there ugly fumbly footy is the pits..

Tip
Less mini golf and basketball , more practising with the footy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched replay. Wow, heated in here tonight. R eal saints fans are far from fickle, we've put up with more pain than pretty much anyone else in my footy lifetime. Can't judge us by comments on social media, as we have no idea how old those people are, whether they've ever bought a membership etc.

When Walker soccered the goal past a timid Ross, I knew the floodgates were about to open. Have to admit I skipped forward to our goals after that. At least we kicked some as opposed to last week when that happened.
Most of us expected to lose this game, but wasting all those opportunities was still frustrating as hell.
Some players just aren't what we hoped they'd be.
Agree we can't afford to play favourites. Needs to play the players who show potential and willingness for improvement.
I don't mind Richo having played Armo for 3 rounds. With the leadership and footballing knowledge vacuum, was worth a shot.
Steele has to come in though.
Am happy to see any of Webster (showing no signs of maturing and becoming a composed footballer), Newnes (making poor decisions, not prepared to take the game on and butchering the ball), Armo (he seems strong again, not sure if things have passed him by now but hopefully it's just heavy rust and he'll be ok mid season), Brown (when there's a chance to play a younger more mobile and constructive backline), or Bruce (guy needs to be banned from chest marks - he's terrible at them) in the 2s for a bit. Even Billings seems like he might need a prod.
The worst thing we can do is be in denial of where we're at and cling on to the now instead of planning for the future.
I didn't mind Wright, but it was clearly a mistake bringing him in. Never really liked Lonie, but he probably deserves a run at it esp if Weller, Membrey and co aren't fit.
Would be happy to see Lonie on one flank and Long on the other with Gresham buzzing around. Paddy at least was bringing them to ground tonight rather than getting it punched 25 metres back towards our defence. With those 3 guys and maybe Battle or Sinclair and hopefully Membrey in there we might be far more dangerous.
Anyway good to see Robbo, Savage and Sincs playing better. Coffield and White added some much needed class even if a bit raw. Marshall was fantastic in the face of a huge challenge.
That's all I got for now, time for bed so I can have nightmares about our players fumbling a handpass into the man on the mark over and again until morning comes.

I think we need to give up on a tall forward set up. I'd keep Bruce as a KPF and just play a small forward line around him, Battle as a more mobile option until Members gets back. Keep Wright, Gresham, Billings and bring in Lonie. Play a wave of smaller types who can help through the midfield. We are too slow i there so need waves of helpers to work the ball through traffic by hand.

Paddy needs time at Sandy to get his confidence back, he looks like he hate playing footy right now, you can see the pressure in how he plays. Brown is a stopper and when he doesn't stop he's a liability. It's not what most teams do now, they play a more nimble set up with guys who can reload and move the ball. I'm not sure we have a ready made answer.

ver all I wasn't really unhappy, I thought we fought it out, the umpires helped get them moving when we'd locked down. We had to work much harder to compete and ran out of legs also. I thought White struggled a bit but Coffer was unbelievable. I reckon he'll be something special.

Armo is a tough one, I keep thinking he'll come good but he's struggling, he was using his voice so adds an on field leader but he's not at a live that holds guys like Steele out. Newness as you said is making poor decisions but was under pressure. He does go in hard and wins contests but then immediately ****s a kick or pass up.

Did Richo really say that? He go and GF’d. It’s your fault dickhead.
The coach admitted the club was “disappointed” with the poor crowd of only 19,324, who turned up to Etihad Stadium last night.

“Our fans like to come when their team is performing well and winning,” he said. “We like our fans to turn up and support our players. The fans that were here really had an impact. Their noise at times made a difference ... we want our fans to be here.”

They really didn't give the crowd much to cheer about...

I was there last week and last night, dead boring, could count on one hand (across both games) how many times the Saints crowd had something to work with.

Next home game is going to be brutal again, vs GWS will be shocked to see more than 16k.

It isn’t a new thing though, even when we were good the bandwagoners come out of the woodwork as soon as we are crap the same thing happens, rinse and repeat. Our supporters are some of the biggest fair weather ones going around.

Half of them have no idea what people in this group have put into the club, the years of hurt, heartbreak, blood, sweat and tears. It’s embarrassing.

People in this group?

I'm Mr negative and said before the season that we were not as great a list as people thought. But seriously I thought we'd lose to Adelaide by about 10 goals anyway. We were playing a very youth heavy team and were in the game against the best side for the last 3 years. Their defence is outstanding and their forwards super efficient, we were lucky their mids weren't better. Richo played kids despite the easier thing would have been to stack the older guys in and try to save his arse. I can take anything from us as long as we bring effort and pride, we did that tonight but weren't good enough.

It's the feeling of loss of hope people are angry about, we thought it might be this year and it looks unlikely to be a good year now. We have to just weather the storm of a really bad draw and get through, next year we get a good player and have our youth getting experience. Next year we should have a much easier draw and getting games into kids takes time. We drafted badly but just have to play our way out with youth.

Ripping post

End of this season the club need to poach a top recruitment manager.
Employ assistant coach ( next coach )
Recruit new skills coaches : Burgoyne , McVeigh , and a ruck coach .

Richo gets one more year .

In a realistic world -

Out -
Adam Kingsley (Transition coach)
Rohan Welsh (Forward Line)
Aaron Hamill (VFL Development)

In -
Brett Ratten - Hawthorn (Transition coach)
Paul Corrigan - Essendon (Forward line)
Xavier Clarke - Richmond (VFL Development)

Yeah, it was predictable. But Adelaide is a very good team.

I thought we 'reverted' back to a style that we played exhaustively last year, in an effort to win back some 'respect'. Numbers around the ball, try to win contested possessions, win tackles, set up defensive zones and strong two way running. We saw many times last year how when we butcher the ball this game plan just drains the energy out of us late in quarters and the game. No different again today, and probably exacerbated by the fact that White, Marshall and Coffield are all still adjusting to the pace at AFL level.

View attachment 480286

We contested really well at the start, but winning the ball is not enough if you can't get it to a teammate. Adelaide have players that can deliver the ball 50m and/or put it through the big sticks off a step. Honestly, I don't think anyone in the footy world could organize us into a top four team at the moment. Clarko would be hard pressed to get us into finals.

Marshall was fabulous and has shown that he can make a very strong contribution around the ground. He is not a first ruck though. If he rucked like that with 50 games under his belt we would be hammering him; we're only letting him off the hook because it's his second game. So let's look at this with some honesty. He HAS to have more physical presence in the contest, or he has to have a different role. I am in favour of the latter. Bring in Hickey and let Marshall play second ruck. One of Bruce, McCartin or Membrey to make way; that triage isn't working.

Coffield is such a composed footballer. 18 touches at 88% efficiency. A marginally better debut than Clark I thought. Sign him up now! To think that he is the youngest player on our list too, putting some of the older heads to shame.

How Dunstan didn't make the team in Round 1 I have no idea. He was solid today. His engine continues to be an issue, but if we want to win the clinches he has to be a starter for us right now. I thought Sinclair was one of the few who responded from last week. Acres still teasing, kicked 1.3 today but continues some strong form. I thought Webster was good again today and he can really make some penetrating kicks.

Disappointing was Armitage, Carlisle, Billings, White, Gresham, Bruce, McCartin, Long and Wright. Armitage needs to go back for Jack Steele, he's just not impacting the game, and is just clogging the midfield. Carlisle just needs to pull his head in. Don't mind him sounding off at the umps...but only if his second efforts are strong and at the moment they are woeful. Billings only 4 contested possessions, 4 kicks from 17 touches. Way down today and looked like a deer in the headlights at times. I can see glimpses in Long, but it's time to go back and work his craft in the VFL, especially if, as we saw at Sandy today, players get to play for Sandy in their proper positions. We need someone who can impact the scoreboard directly or through assists and I think Lonie might be the best bet.

View attachment 480288

The way we're playing we could be 1 and 11 at the bye! If you could guarantee me Lukoscious in next years draft I'm prepared to accept some short term pain.

Can't wait for Geelong at the cattery next week! /sarcasm

I reckon Long must have looked better live. His work with out the ball is the best in the team. He literally at one point ran chasing from defence into the forward line, pressured the kick which screwed, followed it to the next crows player then ran forward at top pace to make an option for a team mate to kick too. He must have ran 500 meters at top pace and caused the turn over. It won't go down in a stat but was an outstanding effort. Billings is a real concern at the moment, he looks checked out mentally, he is just standing around at times. Acres was excellent with his of ball work too, so many times he was covering two opponents and pressuring both. Sometimes stats don't show the effort these guys play with.

In a realistic world -

Out -
Adam Kingsley (Transition coach)
Rohan Welsh (Forward Line)
Aaron Hamill (VFL Development)

In -
Brett Ratten - Hawthorn (Transition coach)
Paul Corrigan - Essendon (Forward line)
Xavier Clarke - Richmond (VFL Development)

Might want to give Sammy time, he had a good win yesterday over a perennially strong VFL team playing with a really strong AFL contingent and playing one down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back