Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were allowed to sack richo by the afl which would be doubtful anyway do people really think that is the answer 3 rounds in. Let’s look at it logically. Who would we get at this stage first of all. How could they fix skills which is the real problem during the game how do we get the close 3 million dollars it would cost to sack richo. How does that fix the recruiting of unskilled and the wrong type of players and how stupid would we look to our supporters and sponsees after just re signing him

I know people richo to be the problem because that is easy to fix. The list is the problem and that is a much longer fix. By the we have probably sacked the most coaches in the afl. How many flags has that got us. The answer is none

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt people are seriously calling for Richo's head. More that things at the top are out of kilter and things need to change. Gameplan (whatever that is) looks too complex or taxing for our squad. We need to play a type of football that fits with our selected team. Everything looks too hard for them at the moment. At one stage last night, Sincs looked up the field and did two 360's waiting for someone to offer him an option but nobody bothered to lead for him. Shit, just lead straight at him.
I'd drop Brown and Geary, select Goddard and Rice, swap Bruce for Battle, simplify the gameplan and snaffle up the no. 1 pick.

If we were allowed to sack richo by the afl which would be doubtful anyway do people really think that is the answer 3 rounds in. Let’s look at it logically. Who would we get at this stage first of all. How could they fix skills which is the real problem during the game how do we get the close 3 million dollars it would cost to sack richo. How does that fix the recruiting of unskilled and the wrong type of players and how stupid would we look to our supporters and sponsees after just re signing him

I know people richo to be the problem because that is easy to fix. The list is the problem and that is a much longer fix. By the we have probably sacked the most coaches in the afl. How many flags has that got us. The answer is none

Maybe , just maybe, the answer has been sitting right under our noses this whole time.
Hamill.

I doubt people are seriously calling for Richo's head. More that things at the top are out of kilter and things need to change. Gameplan (whatever that is) looks too complex or taxing for our squad. We need to play a type of football that fits with our selected team. Everything looks too hard for them at the moment. At one stage last night, Sincs looked up the field and did two 360's waiting for someone to offer him an option but nobody bothered to lead for him. Shit, just lead straight at him.
I'd drop Brown and Geary, select Goddard and Rice, swap Bruce for Battle, simplify the gameplan and snaffle up the no. 1 pick.

Can’t take anything you say seriously if you keep saying drop geary. Lose all credibility. And there are people on here who would richo today.

The Saints literally stopped in the 3rd quarter, let the Crow's dispose efficiently without pressure. Once the Crows received the kick / handball there was no pressure to slow the game down. It was like watching a training drill. That 3rd quarter haunts, brings memories of last week and the Essendon game last year

I also like the analogy of it is like pulling the band aid of , time to look at the coaching and list very closely and get games in to Coffield, Marshall, Clarke, Battle and stick with Paddy, Acres, Gresham etc. Give Billings time as well

I obviously don’t rate Richo that much however sacking him now is fraught with danger. Preferably, he gets on board & is a positive element to the club moving forward. In reality though, I think he’s on borrowed time so revisiting his suitability to be our coach towards the back end of the year is more appropriate then sacking him now.

As I’ve mentioned, there isn’t one problem with the club, there’s many. Players, recruitment, development, structure, gameplan, training, etc. Now how much of that falls on the responsibility of the coach? There’s a reason why coaches are often moved on, cos at the end of the day, all of the above is their responsibility ultimately, whether you agree or not, that’s the industry, & we are not the only club to move coaches on & think that way. It’s the standard.

Maybe , just maybe, the answer has been sitting right under our noses this whole time.
Hamill.

Is that the guy people wanted replaced last year because the forward line was working. Another case of what we can’t see is better than what we can.

I obviously don’t rate Richo that much however sacking him now is fraught with danger. Preferably, he gets on board & is a positive element to the club moving forward. In reality though, I think he’s on borrowed time so revisiting his suitability to be our coach towards the back end of the year is more appropriate then sacking him now.

As I’ve mentioned, there isn’t one problem with the club, there’s many. Players, recruitment, development, structure, gameplan, training, etc. Now how much of that falls on the responsibility of the coach? There’s a reason why coaches are often moved on, cos at the end of the day, all of the above is their responsibility ultimately, whether you agree or not, that’s the industry, & we are not the only club to move coaches on & think that way. It’s the standard.

I agree with plenty of that. Never said otherwise. I have always richo likes a certain type of player and imo the game has gone past the type he likes. What I get upset about is people whinging about game plan. Firstly because I doubt any of us have enough knowledge to know the game plan and secondly many in the media who do have the knowledge say most clubs have similar plan with little variations. I would be looking elsewhere for richo issues rather than game plan

Jack Steven and Paddy. 10 set shots between them in 3 rounds for zero goals.

Haven't read much about Jakes petulance. Looked terrible. Don't like seeing it from our players.

Coffield, Marshall and Long were positives. Dunstan and Sinclair ( when played on wing) were good. Savage good as well.

Decision making and execution horrible. Effort pretty good, until they the turnovers finally took their toll.

I agree with plenty of that. Never said otherwise. I have always richo likes a certain type of player and imo the game has gone past the type he likes. What I get upset about is people whinging about game plan. Firstly because I doubt any of us have enough knowledge to know the game plan and secondly many in the media who do have the knowledge say most clubs have similar plan with little variations. I would be looking elsewhere for richo issues rather than game plan

Do you think Richo is a suitable coach beyond this year?

I doubt you can fix kicking skills and decision making of players. We have recruited poorly

But even the players who have nominally good skills and decision making are looking poor at the moment - Sincs, Billings, White, Clark, maybe Ross, etc. Obviously their fundamental qualities can be affected seriously by the team around them. I don't think the side is generally that bad on skills. I think the gameplan (whatever it is) isn't letting them succeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

definitely don't sack richo, as long as he plays the kids in position, he should not be sacked. But if he stifles them, overestimates our list, and scraps for points that do us more damage in the long run - he's gotta go.

no point aiming for finals this year, it's a development year. the club has to realign

Do you think Richo is a suitable coach beyond this year?

I never wanted contract extended for the very reason that is happening now. Go back to extension thread and see how many did and I bet many are complaining now. If we hadn’t extended and our firm continues then richo would be finished by years end. I have no doubt of that but that isn’t a sacking. That is just getting a new coach. We maybe forced to continue with him because of the contract. I haven’t answered the question because I don’t like the answer I would give but it is only round 3. Things can turn around quickly in footy

But even the players who have nominally good skills and decision making are looking poor at the moment - Sincs, Billings, White, Clark, maybe Ross, etc. Obviously their fundamental qualities can be affected seriously by the team around them. I don't think the side is generally that bad on skills. I think the gameplan (whatever it is) isn't letting them succeed

One word. Confidence. Or lack there of. No confidence in certain players brings uncertainty in the skilled players. Seen it many times at many levels.

If it wasn’t for Jack Steven in round 1 the Saints could very well be looking at an 0-6 start to the year. I want to say we can win one more between now and then but looking at the draw we have and how we are playing it’s going to take an almighty turnaround for that to happen.

Has anybody acknowledged we are one of the worst teams in the AFL. Skill wise, game plan, talent. I think we need to face up to
the fact we are just not good enough to challenge for finals. The current era under Richardson is not working.
We do have a few good kids who can create a good future for the club.
However, we're kidding ourselves if we think we have the players to challenge soon.

Imo the club set the road to 2018 talk in motion way back then and set our combined expectations on this year.

Collectively we're just coming to grips now with poor trade and draft decisions. Post Lyon we needed to make every list change decision a winner. At times our selection success hit % has looked like our goal kicking %.

Richo's honeymoon well and truly over along with Trout, Bevo and some others in admin and coaching ranks. Lyon made a lifestyle from coaching this club. Richo, Watters, Watson all made meals of it.

Another early pick and 2 x FA (need to go for gold) and we'll be ripe for a quality coach to take over.

When players are running around just bombing wildly, smalls and talls flying for marks together etc etc, it smacks of lack of team discipline and direction. That is our big problem- games plans are something the coaching panel cooks up for each particular game, but we have a basic system issue, the style we play is not working and is broken so far, and has been since the later part of last season.

It looked pretty obvious to me like many players dropped their heads once the Crows got a few goals up, and just didn't chase hard enough after that. Richo just sat there expressionless in the coaching box, and I reckon he has run out of ideas.

Not happy with Carlise's moaning to the umpire- this is a more experienced player showing poor discipline, and Geary should have gone over as captain told him to pull his head in.

Too many went the soft option last night- Billings, Gresham, Bruce and Sinclair need a wake up call.

I was very happy with Coffield who show as lot of class- also happy with Long, and I think he will keep getting better, and I hope Richo persists with him.

Other than that I'm losing interest.

I never wanted contract extended for the very reason that is happening now. Go back to extension thread and see how many did and I bet many are complaining now. If we hadn’t extended and our firm continues then richo would be finished by years end. I have no doubt of that but that isn’t a sacking. That is just getting a new coach. We maybe forced to continue with him because of the contract. I haven’t answered the question because I don’t like the answer I would give but it is only round 3. Things can turn around quickly in footy

It was a strange move by the club to extend Richo’s contract just like it was with a few fringe players (Pierce, Wright & Minch). Whoever is making these decisions should be held to account because it’s plainly obvious to observers let alone people with inside knowledge that the wrong decisions have been made at a contract level.

No supporters like having to turnover a coach, the coach is the face of the entire football club & sacking them is not a good look or feeling for fans. Anyway, I’ll take your post as you are not convinced Richo is the right guy for us next year. Fair enough too.

Jack Steven and Paddy. 10 set shots between them in 3 rounds for zero goals.

Haven't read much about Jakes petulance. Looked terrible. Don't like seeing it from our players.

Coffield, Marshall and Long were positives. Dunstan and Sinclair ( when played on wing) were good. Savage good as well.

Decision making and execution horrible. Effort pretty good, until they the turnovers finally took their toll.

Rekon this is going to be a very testing year for him. He moved across thinking the Dons were mentally shot and would be hitting rock bottom while we were a team on the rise with plans in place to push top 4 and go for a flag.

Now Essendon are rolling in confidence, made some bold moves at the trade table and will be expecting a top 4/6 finish while we look to be heading back down the other way. He must look at Hurley being named AA, picking up 25 touches and 10 marks a game and think 'that could've been me'.

I wont be shocked if he gets rubbed out for a couple of weeks at some point.

One word. Confidence. Or lack there of. No confidence in certain players brings uncertainty in the skilled players. Seen it many times at many levels.

On the money there Plug.
Tell people they're hopeless enough and they'll be hopeless.

Club needs to build confidence and atm looks like we're doing the opposite with many playing well below their best.

End of this season the club need to poach a top recruitment manager.
Employ assistant coach ( next coach )
Recruit new skills coaches : Burgoyne , McVeigh , and a ruck coach .

Richo gets one more year .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2018: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back