Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Tylar Young

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Marlion Pickett

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With all our outs thought we battled hard. I am not too upset with a 2 goal loss. Cumbers when he came on played well and changed the direction of the game for us.

2 goal loss. If only all future opponents could be so kind to run at 30% goalkicking accuracy. Round 1 Geelong were 16 goals 2 behinds at one point. Tonight was a complete shellacking we should've lost by 10 goals. Our only good players were defenders cos that's where the ball was mostly.

you're a clown mate... You do realise that there is another player on our list named Noah who had a reasonable game?

Now if you said he was stubborn to not admit he made a mistake at selection when the Journo asked the question on going too tall. Then yes valid point but coaches need to be confident in what they know.

we lost the game because we turned the ball over 28 times in the first half. Cumbo is not stopping that alone.

Just clowns after a loss on this board no real analysis of the game just "dErP hE dIdNt pLaY cUmBo tHaTs wHy wE lOsT"
Nice melt Dimma.

Roast match selections

Wet game - lets play three talls. Lol it was pissing down wel before it started.

Cumberland robbed all year. Perfect to get him in we dont. Until its too late. Narrow minded cos he cant play with dusty? He’s arguably better full time forward currently than him.

Not fair on ryan. Should have made the call before the game. Even subbing him, inreckon he was going better than nank who was having a mare.
Cumberland a better full-time forward than Dustin?
A guy from the reserves who has played 1 game this year vs one of the greatest players of all time?

We’ve got 6 of our best 23 out… of course those older guys all had to play this week given they were fit.

I’m not sure what on earth people expected tonight? Playing a white hot Collingwood with 4 of our best dozen players coming out of the side - on top of Tarrant and Gibcus already missing from the backline.

Then Cox doesn’t play but it’s wet so that was a bonus for them. So they were missing Howe and Lipinski (Pies 6th best mid) from their best team tonight.

And we fight it out to lose by 14 points.

With those players out and with Collingwood’s current form we were always up against it tonight. Not sure how anyone could have thought differently ..??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree, good post. Put Prestia, Martin, Short ,Tarrant, Broad and Hopper in and we win the game.
Even just 3 of them would make a big difference.

Honestly, if we play the forwardline we lined up with in the first half for an entire year (ie no Cumberland ), & I actually think we struggle to make the 8. It was really terrible. Lacks any creative spark at all & very forced. There is nothing natural about how it moves around. I also think that all those games in the VFL together, Cumberland & MRJ have a bond and feed off each others play. Both looked great when together in last season & I thought tonight was one of MRJ's best games of the year in the way he covered and attacked, especially once Noah came on in the 2nd half. The forwardline is still 1 player short though - they need a leader for the small forward group of Cumberland & MRJ to set the tone in workrate. No guesses who i still think is the best guy for that job :think:

A guy from the reserves who has played 1 game this year vs one of the greatest players of all time?

Dustins form hasn't been great for nearly 2 years. We all respect him, but he currently plays far less than he does - and when he does, only looks dangerous for 1 or 2 quarters a game.

We have faith in him, but currently he is out injured & Noah got another chance and took it. With how gross our forwardline is, Cumberland might actually be the most inform guy in it already.

Out: MRJ, Graham and Mansell/ Ralphsmith. MRJ is actually making the memory of Castagna look like Dusty with his complete ineffectiveness. I coached 12 yo girls with more penetration and accuracy in their kicking. FMD I wouldn't mind knowing how many times he hasn't gone first option and has been run down in the 5 matches this year. Nank can't even beat makeshift ruckmen was Dejavu last year's finals against the bears time to offer Freo Darcy whatever he wants when he hits Free Agency and let Nank go.

Also, for the love of god... If you are going in to tackle a player on the ground who has the ball, don't go for the tackle if you are coming in from the direction of their head. Come from the side. The amount of times we tackle.plauers on the deck and get them high resulting in a free kick is infuriating.

Dustins form hasn't been great for nearly 2 years. We all respect him, but he currently plays far less than he does - and when he does, only looks dangerous for 1 or 2 quarters a game.

We have faith in him, but currently he is out injured & Noah got another chance and took it. With how gross our forwardline is, Cumberland might actually be the most inform guy in it already.
He is still one of the best players in the league when fit.
He has been playing through injuries imo.

I’m seduced by his full name, because his old man was one of the best I’ve seen…I’m hopeful he’ll keep progressing…He’s kind of been type-cast as a chase and tackle animal…He just needs a bit more see ball, get ball…
yep,i think hes got the chops to make it,needs a few weeks in the 2's now and do some penance,it will do him good

Yes as a full time forward. This is 2023 dusty not 2017. Dusty is better as a hybrid and he takes a mid back to the goal sqaure. Cumberland is quicker than dusty too - they should actually play different roles otherwise its another strngle situation when cumberland demands a trade at the end of the season from lack of opportunities

Not many positives to take out of the game.
The final margin flattered us and if you think otherwise then I'm not sure what game you were watching.

Ball movement was woeful for three quarters. We were slow and stagnant with no dare. It didn't look like a Richmond game apart from the excessive fumbling. This has been a huge issue for years now. Do we not train clean hands at all, or do we just capitulate under any modicum of pressure?

If you look at Jack Ross' stat line you'd think he'd had a decent game. Not the case. Sprinting or any form of intensity seems foreign to him. He was just cruising around at VFL level intensity, where he is good enough to look a class above but at AFL level, it just doesn't translate. Nice goal at the end though, hopefully that gives him some confidence to take that on more often.

Disposal efficiency was woeful. People kicking it off their shins, the side of their boots and missing targets in space was infuriating. It took Cumbo to come on to actually show the team how to hit up a target. Loopy handballs, missed handballs, handballing to feet was all happening throughout the night.

Conversion of F50 entries, disgraceful. We continue to struggle with this. I wasn't at the game tonight but I'd hazard a guess that this was the same issue we had in round 1. Forwards stagnant calling for it on top of their heads. No active leading to spread the defence. Just lazy football.

Post clearance contested possessions, horrible! It's all well and good for us to win a clearance, but due to our poor skills, the secondary contests end up being 50/50 balls, Collingwood flood the contest with numbers and then transition the footy. Taranto was in and under all day so he is doing his best to move the footy on in any way he knows how, so we need to be aware of that and get numbers to the fall of the ball. If Collingwood can get there, then it's just a matter of work rate. Taranto needs to work on his composure when he is extracting the footy from the contest, but this might just be the direction he has been given.

Jack Graham was exposed today due to his lack of leg speed. The guy tries his heart out so it's hard to be critical but gee he looked so far off it today.

Few get a pass mark today...
Baker - Immense all day. Can really hold his head high after tonight's performance.
Balta - Backed up last week's game with another solid performance. Just needed to roost it in that last 5 minutes but tried to be too clever.
Taranto - Bloody hell, where would we be without this guy this year. Work rate. As explained above, has areas to work on. Need him to hit the scoreboard and clean up his disposal.
Cumberland - Did exactly what a sub needs to do and provide energy. Looked assured in possession and alert. Well done after a shocking game in the two's. Don't give me the being played out of position crap as that's just a cop out.
Bolton - Dimma, please let this man play permanently on ball. I beg you.

Pressure was good most of the day but christ, we have a lot to work on. Such a disappointing game.
How many times did we handball directly to a collingwood player i would say atleast 10

If the Pies were on song that was a 10 goal belting every day of the week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma is cooked if Cumbo isn't picked next week.
it maybe too late late for Dimma,goin by what Cumbo showed tonite(easily most skilfull player on the ground) id say Hardwick has a few issues
goin on in the top deck,seriously he needs to move with the times,hes stuck in 2017 with his battlers for Lord mayor mentality,games changed 10 fold since then,love him n all but geeeeez, hes got me scratching my eyes out almost,hes turning into Beveridge

**** jack Graham is slow

I thought the effort to stick with it was great. I have never really believed we are a definite top 4 team, and most likely between 5-12, pending injuries, luck, etc.

Not playing Cumberland is becoming as stupid as the "never drop Castagna & Aarts" stuff. I mean, they made Noah play behind those 2 for nearly 12 months longer than he should have, & when the move finally came - Noah nailed it. Next season rolls around, no Georgie, No Aarts ... & still no Noah. It was night & day when he was in the forwardline - he makes s**t happen every contest. He should be a definite starter for me.
he has backman nervous,shi**ing themselves,the angles he cuts alone are elite,no one in our side except for dusty cuts angles magically like this,its a faaaarken gift ,Dimma needs to take a leaf outta Mcflys book n play his players to theyre natural strengths, FFS Boltons a damaging break away mid with pace,even Stevie Wonder can see that,just leave him in the middle,bring Prestia off the bench or something

Last edited:
best side moving fwd rd4 2023 into the great beyond

broad balta gibcus
rioli vlaustin baker
pickett hopper banks
martin cumberland taranto/2024 Free Agent
clarke lynch ryan

nankervis bolton sonsie

inter: short, taranto/2024 FreeA,HRS,brown
sub: prestia/mrj

He is still one of the best players in the league when fit.
He has been playing through injuries imo.

I think the horrific injury he copped against lions and then death of his dad he’s found it hard to come back like the old Dusty .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3 Roast & Toast v Collingwood and changes for Footscray

Back