Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Tylar Young

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Marlion Pickett

Votes: 16 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Result pretty much as expected. Our failure to execute in the first half really hurt any chance we had. Pies 4 goals up effectively at half time and even though we got back to 3 points we were never really going to be able to withstand their response and it showed.

Credit to the young kids who got a crack at it against a good side in a big game. They didn't necessarily star and got caught out a few times due to inexperience, but the experience of playing that game will help with their development long term. In better conditions the pace from the likes of Clarke & Ralphsmith will have better impact, while Ross did well from just 66% TOG to have 23 disposals 8 marks & a goal and should hold his spot for next weeks game. Young made one bad error with his kick across goal to a teammate under the pump, probably stays in the side until Tarrant is right to go in a couple of weeks. Ryan is an interesting one, was subbed out for Cumberland, but we can't run with just one ruck so should stay especially if it's a dry game. As for Cumberland he probably stays given his impact when he came on, but as I've mentioned previously he needs to be able to impact the game when things aren't going our way.

Now for some of the older guys. Gee there are some worrying signs with a few of them. Grimes looks off the pace and doesn't seem his usual sure self when there is some heat around. Cotchin gave it everything like always, but he's no longer a go to midfielder, the role he played the first 2 weeks where he came on in bursts suits him much better as he was exposed a times against both younger and older opposition. Jack is another who is not having the type of impact we've come to expect but he still has the ability to get to the right spots to give himself a chance of having an impact. Not saying any of them should be sent packing as we're only 3 games into the season, but you can clearly see we're in the process of bringing in replacements for them with Young getting a run down back, Ryan up forward and the likes of Taranto and Hopper already in front of Cotchin.

Changes for next week

Out: Clarke Hugo Mansell
In: Martin Hopper

B: Young Balta Grimes
HB: Baker Vlastuin D.Rioli
C: Pickett Hopper McIntosh
HF: M.Rioli Graham Bolton
F: Ryan Martin Lynch
R: Nankervis Taranto Prestia
INT: Cotchin Riewoldt Ross Cumberland
Sub: Mansell
cumberland needs to impact the game when things arent going our way? he bloody come on and got us to within 3 points straight away lol

I may be in the minority here, or shot down by some posters, but I think there is a lot of upside to this loss.

We were always up against it, even before the game started. Just look at it rationally. Our form was a bit ok, and a bit scratchy, while Collingwood were flyng full of confidence having big wins against the reigning Premiers, and winning last week by 12 goals. Then we had 4 forced changes. It is clear that similar to last season, Dimma and Co are not sure what our best 22 is at this point of the season, and that is ok with me. It will take time. Some guys are injured, while other guys have been overlooked for selection (Cumberland) when there are deserving 22. They are looking for the right balance, and we haven't found it yet. I'll back them in at this point to get it right.

At the end of the day, we lost by a little over 2 goals. Nothing to worry about, although it would have been lovely to win. Just gotta make sure we keep up our intensity, and win the games we should win. Build on that and see how we go as we approach the halfway mark.

We beat the Pies last year, but somehow dropped games to NM and GC. Beat the Pies, and lost at the bell to BL, Swans and Cats. Gotta win the ones we should.

A few more youngsters playing tonight in front of a big crowd, and us below full strength.

Plenty to work with.

That looked way too similar to the Melbourne game last year. We just have to beat the Bulldogs and then jag one of the Swans or Dees games. We aren't a skillful team so if we also get outrun, its pretty difficult to score.

That looked way too similar to the Melbourne game last year. We just have to beat the Bulldogs and then jag one of the Swans or Dees games. We aren't a skillful team so if we also get outrun, it’s pretty difficult to score.
I said same, coll like melb get aheadof our forward handball and cut it off ,they work very flipping hard

I may be in the minority here, or shot down by some posters, but I think there is a lot of upside to this loss.

We were always up against it, even before the game started. Just look at it rationally. Our form was a bit ok, and a bit scratchy, while Collingwood were flyng full of confidence having big wins against the reigning Premiers, and winning last week by 12 goals. Then we had 4 forced changes. It is clear that similar to last season, Dimma and Co are not sure what our best 22 is at this point of the season, and that is ok with me. It will take time. Some guys are injured, while other guys have been overlooked for selection (Cumberland) when there are deserving 22. They are looking for the right balance, and we haven't found it yet. I'll back them in at this point to get it right.

At the end of the day, we lost by a little over 2 goals. Nothing to worry about, although it would have been lovely to win. Just gotta make sure we keep up our intensity, and win the games we should win. Build on that and see how we go as we approach the halfway mark.

We beat the Pies last year, but somehow dropped games to NM and GC. Beat the Pies, and lost at the bell to BL, Swans and Cats. Gotta win the ones we should.

A few more youngsters playing tonight in front of a big crowd, and us below full strength.

Plenty to work with.
The upside is we battled out the sec half when most coll fans were thinking how far and we got some good games into some talented youth

Not many positives to take out of the game.
The final margin flattered us and if you think otherwise then I'm not sure what game you were watching.

Ball movement was woeful for three quarters. We were slow and stagnant with no dare. It didn't look like a Richmond game apart from the excessive fumbling. This has been a huge issue for years now. Do we not train clean hands at all, or do we just capitulate under any modicum of pressure?

If you look at Jack Ross' stat line you'd think he'd had a decent game. Not the case. Sprinting or any form of intensity seems foreign to him. He was just cruising around at VFL level intensity, where he is good enough to look a class above but at AFL level, it just doesn't translate. Nice goal at the end though, hopefully that gives him some confidence to take that on more often.

Disposal efficiency was woeful. People kicking it off their shins, the side of their boots and missing targets in space was infuriating. It took Cumbo to come on to actually show the team how to hit up a target. Loopy handballs, missed handballs, handballing to feet was all happening throughout the night.

Conversion of F50 entries, disgraceful. We continue to struggle with this. I wasn't at the game tonight but I'd hazard a guess that this was the same issue we had in round 1. Forwards stagnant calling for it on top of their heads. No active leading to spread the defence. Just lazy football.

Post clearance contested possessions, horrible! It's all well and good for us to win a clearance, but due to our poor skills, the secondary contests end up being 50/50 balls, Collingwood flood the contest with numbers and then transition the footy. Taranto was in and under all day so he is doing his best to move the footy on in any way he knows how, so we need to be aware of that and get numbers to the fall of the ball. If Collingwood can get there, then it's just a matter of work rate. Taranto needs to work on his composure when he is extracting the footy from the contest, but this might just be the direction he has been given.

Jack Graham was exposed today due to his lack of leg speed. The guy tries his heart out so it's hard to be critical but gee he looked so far off it today.

Few get a pass mark today...
Baker - Immense all day. Can really hold his head high after tonight's performance.
Balta - Backed up last week's game with another solid performance. Just needed to roost it in that last 5 minutes but tried to be too clever.
Taranto - Bloody hell, where would we be without this guy this year. Work rate. As explained above, has areas to work on. Need him to hit the scoreboard and clean up his disposal.
Cumberland - Did exactly what a sub needs to do and provide energy. Looked assured in possession and alert. Well done after a shocking game in the two's. Don't give me the being played out of position crap as that's just a cop out.
Bolton - Dimma, please let this man play permanently on ball. I beg you.

Pressure was good most of the day but christ, we have a lot to work on. Such a disappointing game.

Don't forget McIntosh just before half time. Had our chances.
All valid points. I forgot about McIntosh's shot. Still, they missed plenty of their own. They were in general play as opposed to set shots. We missed more set shots. Probably a few rushed aswell. It would have been nice to pull the rug from under them though as they did to so many sides last season.

Hopefully Cumberland showed enough tonight to be a starter next week. He brings a creativity to our game and when he’s involved good things tend to happen. Very much deserves a spot I reckon
I'll hand in my membership if he doesnt play next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be played ! Instant impact as soon as he came on, a natural forward ! Stuff the deficiencies , has to many positives not to be played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a footy junkie, lives and breathes the game. He can learn and work on his deficiencies on the run!

How ****ed is it we recruit to sort clearances
Now we have a one paced midfield
Sonsie must come in

Midfield speed doesn’t come via leg speed, it comes via positioning and decision making:

Pendles - slow
Sidey - slow
Mitchell - slow
Adams - not quick
DeGoey - not quick but powerful

Hawks dynasty midfield:

Mitchell - slow
Hodge (when in there) - slow
Shiels - slow
Lewis - slow

Cats romped the 2022 flag in with Selwood, Guthrie, Atkins, Duncan key parts of their midfield.

I won’t go on, but leg speed is not an issue for us overall. When you turn it over and don’t move the ball well everyone looks slow.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dimma when asked in the presser about Noah's impact in the second half literally asked the jounro 'Noah who?' like he didn't want to admit how he stuffed up the selection. Absolutely clueless.

Not Listening La La GIF by Ranveer Singh

I think we improved as the game went on because we clued up to the Pies tactics. They do a lot of throwing and scrum balling around in the clenches. Once our mids saw how they were playing and how it was umpired we adjusted. Won our first free kick count.

The throw by Mitchell inside our forward 50 late in the last when we were pushing, and the 50 to Daicos after he shoved MJ had me screaming at the TV.

I reckon we were getting it though, and they started to look a little rattled.

Dimma when asked in the presser about Noah's impact in the second half literally asked the jounro 'Noah who?' like he didn't want to admit how he stuffed up the selection. Absolutely clueless.

1680267870497.gif

Nank is doing what Grundy does - tap it at his feet every damn time. Big Ivan Maric needs to tell him to hit the ****ing thing. Reckon it's a coaching/gameplan thing more than a Nank thing.

Not a ****ing chance he gets dropped. Pies have been dominating clearance and we had em covered I that regard tonight.

Hopper will help, reckon Shai needs to play nearly permanent mid next week with Dusty back too. Need his agility around the contest.

To be fair both Noah's were very good.

reckon dimma needs a shadowy figure hovering over his shoulde
I knew the Taranto and Hopper hype was ridiculous. They are average mids . They will never be at the level of Cotchin, Martin and Prestia as mids.
I’m not convinced yet, early days but if l had to make call they’re ok but not top level mids.

campaigners wanting nank dropped lol got coaches votes in the first two games and played decent tonight

maybe teach our mids to actually move at the contest ? notice how when Bolton goes in there he actually gets the ball clean off nank and zooms out of there? why can't any of the other spuds do it? why are they just standing still and letting fat boy de goey run into the ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3 Roast & Toast v Collingwood and changes for Footscray

Back