Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Chism's Rnd 4 preview ...........

carlton-blues-logo.jpg
V
bombers.jpg

Well here we are again Blue's fans our old arch nemesis Essendon. A team that has had the wood on us for way to long until we broke that hoodoo in Rd 19 last year with a massive 10+ goal win that was loooonnnggg overdue!! Garlett was the hero that game booting 6 majors and Juddy racking up a lazy 28 possession's.

We really need to keep it going with another win against the Bombers after dropping last weekend to the Pies. This game has key match up's everywhere and will go over a few that i think will decide the outcome of the game.....

Rucks and Midfield.....

The Bombers are great in this area with a rampaging Ryder and Hille combo supported by Bellchambers who had a great game last week with 41 hit outs. It will be interesting to see wether or not the Bombers play all 3 or only go with 2 against us to maximize pace which is crucial to their game plan. We will still be missing Kruez but Warnock is more than handy and going great guns so far and Hampson is no slouch. We are going to need Juddy and Murphy to have big games if the Bombers get the best of the tap out's in the middle as Jobe Watson will cut us up with first use of the ball and is in career best form.

Our Backline.....

Was exposed a bit against the Pies last week with Matty Watson having a huge task in Cloke and Dawes and the supply also contributed to the problem and hopefully the Bomber forwards don't get the same supply as Hurley is playing good footy and very dangerous and will prove a tough match up for who ever Ratts see's fit to play on him and i think Bower will play and would be my first choice to get Hurley as he has the speed to keep up and can hurt him on the rebound when we have the ball.

Some key match player match ups..

Bower V Hurley.

Robinson V Watson. Jobe needs a hard tag and Mitch is the man IMO!!

Warnock/Hammo V Hille/Ryder.

Murphy V Stanton

There are plenty more but these rank as my most important.

The Wildcards....

Ours will be Garlett and Betts IMO. If these 2 blokes can score 7-8 goals between them we win it is that simple!! Betts was quiet last week and Jeffro has been good all year and had a massive outing the last time we played them.

Bombers i feel are Monfries the Olympic diver who just loves to milk frees and drop to his knees in a stiff breeze to ensure he gets the Umpires attention. Make no mistake the guy can play and usually cut's us up kicking a few goals at important times which have killed us in the past.He needs to be shutdown and kept quiet. Also Davey and Jetta like to play against us usually saving their best run and carry and party tricks which include the flukey goals from the boundary line that just allways seem to float through.

Looks to be a great Saturday afternoon of good footy in front of a bumper crowd of 70k+ and lets just hope we are not talking about the Umpires at the end of it and the boys are allowed to play.

Blues by 26pts. :thumbsu:

Chism

one change for mine, out Hampson in Hendersen, I realise it's a risk only going in with 1 full time ruckman, but Hampson needs a stint in the VFL to brush up on fundamentals and rebuild his confidence, 3 poor games to start the season supports my reasoning

I'll start off by saying I'm having a tough time deciding which team I want to lose from the Essendon vs. Saints game.

Bower is a very important inclusion in this one irrespective of his form with The Ants, today.
If he is fit enough to play, he plays.
The same largely goes for Henderson, as we need these guys in the mix so that we may correct our shortfalls.

There'll be calls for many outs this week by the sounds of things, but I'd like to see it limited to just 3.

In: Henderson Bower Armfield
Out: Thornton Hampson Carrazzo

I'd like to see how we go with only one ruckman as we should have against the Pies.

Leave some of the other boys that didn't perform too well as it really wasn't a game for great performances.

That would have us like this:

Armfield Jamsion Russell
Yarran Bower Duigan
Simpson Robinson Gibbs
Waite Henderson Collins
Garlett Walker Betts
Warnock Judd Murphy

Curnow Laidler Watson Scotland.

Getting there..

Out: Thornton or Walker, Carrazzo, Duigan*
In: Henderson, Ellard or Brock, Bower

* I don't want to see Duigan go, but in my opinion Watson and Laidler should be kept in the side until they prove they don't deserve to be there, so Duigan misses out.

Boys to be fired up after last night's loss and roll the Dons by 40+.

Will be hoping that Robbo and Curnow can keep up the intensity they have shown over the last fortnight. If they can do this then Jobe and co. will have too much to handle and we will dominate through the midfield.

If Hendo and Bowser come back in we will look a lot better in key positions and should get the 4 points without too much hassle. :thumbsu:

I hope...

Hoping for lots of changes. Not because we were particularly bad (in the end, Collingwood are an outstanding side) but because there are some guys who are too good to not be in the side

Ins: Henderson, Bower, Armfield, Lucas, Setanta
Out: Carrazzo (awful last night) Thornton (Essendon are quick), Collins (feel sorry for him starting as a sub), Hampson (Setanta offers more), Duigan (probably needs just one week in the two's, also to make way for Emu.)

It will never happen, but those guys (well at least the first four) are in the best 22, and Setanta just offers more than Hampson. If we have someone warming Kruzers spot, make it someone who can mark & kick. Remember, Setanta's first half of the season last year was outstanding.

We won't go in with one ruckman against Ryder and Hille/Bellchambers.

In: Lucas/Mclean Henderson Bower
Out: Carrazzo Thornton Watson

Move on from naming Armfield as a small defender.

Duigan is better in the air and a better kick.

Armfield may have gone O.K. on Blair last night. Don't you think?

Why do we need another ruckman to spend 30% of game time just trying to match it with another ruckman?
I'd take the loss there and back us for speed and strength.

In: Armfield Out: Carrazzo*
Armfield can tag, is twice as quick as Carrots and attacks the ball and player with ball with much greater ferocity. Also provides teamates with blocks and is willing to take the game on and break lines. Kicking is about even.
* Hell will freeze over before Carrazzo is dropped.

In: Henderson Out: Thornton
Henderson provides a lead up target through the middle of the ground. Warnock & Hampson can rotate off the pine until Kreuzer comes back.

In: ? Out: Betts
Needs a spell in the Bullants to learn how to crumb off big forwards and improve his workrate. Wish he would stop flying for pack marks. Probably no replacement so keeps his spot by default.

Must win game.

IN: Henderson, Ellard, Bower*
OUT: Walker, Carrazzo, Duigan*

FB: Russell, Jamison, Laidler
BF: Bower*, Watson, Yarran
Ce: Gibbs, Ellard, Simpson
HF: Garlett, Henderson, Robinson
FF: Hampson, Waite, Curnow**
Ru: Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Be: Scotland, Collins, Betts**
Sub: Thornton

*No slight on Duigan he's unlucky, Russell Lucky, depends on how Bower goes today though

**Sends a message to Betts and helps him break the No.1 small defender

IN: Henderson, Carrazzo, Bower*
OUT: Walker, Ellard, Duigan*

FB: Russell, Jamison, Laidler
BF: Bower*, Watson, Yarran
Ce: Gibbs, Ellard, Simpson
HF: Garlett, Henderson, Robinson
FF: Hampson, Waite, Curnow**
Ru: Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Be: Scotland, Collins, Betts**
Sub: Thornton

*No slight on Duigan he's unlucky, Russell Lucky, depends on how Bower goes today though

**Sends a message to Betts and helps him break the No.1 small defender
out ellard
wtf?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: Henderson, Bower, Armfield
OUT: Thornton, Collins, Duigan

Russell, Jamison, Watson
Yarran, Bower, Laidler
Simpson, Gibbs, Murphy
Armfield, Henderson, Garlett
Walker, Waite, Betts
Warnock, Judd, Curnow

Scotland, Robinson, Hampson, Carrazzo**

IN: Henderson & Bower
OUT: Duigan & Laidler

B: Jordan Russell , Michael Jamison , Chris Yarran
HB: Paul Bower, Jarred Waite, Matthew Watson
C: Ed Curnow, Kade Simpson, Bryce Gibbs,
Foll: Chris Judd , Robert Warnock , Mark Murphy
HF: Brett Thornton, Shaun Hampson , Andrew Walker F: Jeff Garlett, Lachie Henderson , Eddie Betts

I/C: Heath Scotland, Andrew Carrazzo, Mitch Robinson Sub: Andrew Collins

It's a tough one... we have a couple of players a bit out of form this season in Betts, Russell and Waite to a degree.

Our handpassing last night killed us terribly... particularly Yarran towards the end with a few of his.

Out: Collins, Walker, Betts
In: Bower, Henderson, Armfield/Lucas

It's a tough one... we have a couple of players a bit out of form this season in Betts, Russell and Waite to a degree.

Our handpassing last night killed us terribly... particularly Yarran towards the end with a few of his.

Out: Collins, Walker, Betts
In: Bower, Henderson, Armfield/Lucas

so you'd take out 3 forwards for a forward and 2 defenders?

so you'd take out 3 forwards for a forward and 2 defenders?

Yes,

last night Walker and Betts were useless (Betts all season so far)...

Walker attempting to take mark of the year at every moment (as did Hampson). Collins was the sub and swapped with Walker anyway so it's really taking out 2 forwards from last night not 3.

The game at the moment is controlled by good defenders and midfielders moving the ball forward quick...

With Henderson, Waite, Garlett and Thornton as our permanent forwards and with resting mids taking up the slack eg Carazzo, Simpson, Robinson, and Murphy.

OUT: Watson, Collins
IN: Henderson, Bower

Don't expect we will make many changes to a team that will be sitting top 4 end of this round.

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to how Duigan & Laidler have indivually been going. I keep reading mixed reports on both with some suggesting they have been good, while others suggest they haven't been great.

Anyone who has paid closer attention to their games mind giving a run down of their performances to date?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 4 Carlton vs Essendon 16/4/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back