Preview Round 5, 2022: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 16th April, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • Suns

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he bigger than Grundy or Darcy? We went with Marshall and Hayes against those two, and they’re both better than Witts.

We need to be mindful of the opposition but still pick our team to suit how we want to play. I think Hayes gets picked for that reason.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's probably more Darcy in size but with a much harder edge. Darcy hasn't realised how huge he is yet and plays nice. Witts looks demonic when he plays, he's not mean like Mummy but he's got a bit of that still. He has charging bull vibes and plays with knees and elbows going everywhere.

Grundy is more like Marshall he's a bespoke craftsman type who's around the ground work is better than his pure ruck work (but still a bit better than Marshall). Witts isn't a pretty player but he's probably the best pure ruckman in footy. His taps end up in the hands of who he wants them to.

I'm trying very hard not to get cocky, and this week will be a real test with more players and a coach missing, and the opposition in form...

But I get a bit of a 2009 feel amongst the playing group, where it doesn't matter too much who plays, everyone is super drilled on "team" and their "role". Add to that just how focused they look. There doesn't seem to be a crack in anyone's confidence. It's amazing how the skills follow.

I was onto us after round one even though we lost. A bit of new coach and tactics, and much rust from us got the Pies the four points. But there was a maturity and stoicism with our ball-use and comeback, a focus, there was a vibe. And it has continued on.

Two years ago I said we'll have a crack at the premiership and no one will see us coming (we lost to the eventual premiers). After round 2 last year I called us fat plodders going nowhere. Well I'm calling it early again, we'll make the second week of finals at least. We could make top four, but Richmond seem to have a ridiculously easy fixture and should finish there if they are any good.

But does anyone else here feel it? The '09 comparison? The vibe? There's something very good happening. We lost Clark, Billings, Jones, Coffield... and we haven't blinked. We'll lose Paddy. For supposedly one of the worst midfields in the comp, we're just getting things done. But they'll have their work cut out for them this week. Although, our midfield has been renovated and much improved.

Now, watch this all blow up in my face this weekend hahaha.

I'm trying but I need a bigger body of work. This was our easy part of the draw and we've had one **** up so far. That's probably about par. Probably expected to struggle to get past Freo over there and that we'd take care of Collingwood. We sit about exactly as I'd hoped.

I remember the 2009 West Coast game, in round 3 we played a game of pressure footy that was like shock and awe. WC went to jelly and fumbled and tripped with their mouths open and we then went on to start getting some huge margins up. 16 goal win against WCE, 12 goal win against Freo, 10 goals against Port, 15 goal win against the Pies etc. It was a lot easier to see the massive improvement that year.

I feel like we are building up some confidence and momentum and when challenged we've maturely found a way to win against the flow. I still don't have much trust in the side yet. We are a bit injured and not seeing our best side yet but still winning which is instantly better than 2021. Last year we dropped games we should have won and when the season was pretty much done we decided to go.

I feel like if we keep on this path we play finals. Not sure how deep we'll go. There aren't a lot of sides that make you too concerned. Melbourne and Carlton are the early front runners despite last week for the Blues but I think that both aren't as far in front as the better teams in other years. It would be a good year to be good.

Gold Coast play a fast moving game and Rankine types really haven't fired yet. I'd probably err on the side of mobility over an extra tall but I guess you could play Wilkie small and Highmore more accountable on Chol or Casboult.
Will be interesting to see how they replace Lukosius. You may be right and we might be better with a small

Will be interesting to see how they replace Lukosius. You may be right and we might be better with a small

The'll still have Casboult and Chol who are tall but it's that third tall forward they lose with Luko. Probably Sexton comes in to his role, he looked like he'd be their Tim Membrey a few years ago.

The'll still have Casboult and Chol who are tall but it's that third tall forward they lose with Luko. Probably Sexton comes in to his role, he looked like he'd be their Tim Membrey a few years ago.
Yeah Sexton could be it, either way not sure having Highmore/Joyce come in is the best option.
Might be better with Leo or shuffling players around.

I would happily have Highmore as sub though

2009 we played like 25 players through the the first ten games. We were very settled. But last week was very encouraging to do what, in all seriousness, should have been expected.

I think McKenzie goes back for Webster.

Defenders: Howard, Wilkie, Battle, Lienert, Paton, Sinclair, McKenzie
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Ross, NWM, Wood, Gresham, Windhager
Forwards: King, Membrey, Hayes, Butler, Higgins, Long, Hill

Gone too early.

Tbh the team looked fantastic on the weekend but will reserve judgement.
Haven’t beaten anyone that will be at the pointy end yet. If they win 4 of the next 5 (beating one of Melbourne and Geelong) then I think you would reassess, but haven’t done enough yet.
Aahh.. gotta love a poster who wont go the "early crow"

Jeez would’ve thought Crouchy be in there a bit more. Our leading clearance player and in ripping form despite such low CBA attendance. Ominous

From being at the last two matches, I’ve noticed he starts a lot of centre bounces at half forward, especially when Gresh is in the middle. Then after the bounce Gresh tends to roll forward and get dangerous whilst Crouch moves up the ground and takes his spot in the mids.

I’d say this is due to the coaches liking Gresh’s explosion from the middle when it’s a centre bounce with open space and only the 3 mids plus ruck allowed in the square. Then Crouch comes in and gets in and under for stoppages around the ground when the numbers pile up and make it more contested.

Luko spent most time on the wing against Blues delivering inside 50, occasionally half forward. Corbett was 3rd tall and played well. Most probably Sharp replaces Luko or Hollands could debut.

Why would you put Long at hb? Just as a cause to keep him in the side!!! If a backman goes out then you can replace him with a backman. Highmore is one & Lienert is another and Mckenzie. Long is lucky to be in the side due to an injury to Higgins. Cant recall him excelling as a backline player although he has played there when others were out over the years. More suited as a bench player to fill a gap or provide some impact when required.

Long's best year was in 2020 when he played as that aggressive mid size defender.

You say he's there to fill a gap, well, we have a gap with Webster out.

Highmore or Connolly could come in but I'm looking for minimal changes from a winning team.

Long's best year was in 2020 when he played as that aggressive mid size defender.

You say he's there to fill a gap, well, we have a gap with Webster out.

Highmore or Connolly could come in but I'm looking for minimal changes from a winning team.
Long is prone to getting lost at HBF I reckon. Also his occasional transgressions are more costly back there than as a defensive FWD.

I urge all Vic SUNS members and fans to get behind Mabior on the weekend at the game, make him feel the love from our fanbase.
Popped over to the Suns board to see how they were feeling about the game and saw this comment which I thought would be worth sharing here. I'm not saying we should all cheer our hearts out for an opposition player, but it'd be nice if we as a fanbase got around Mabior after last week when, while we were celebrating our club record seven indigenous players, he was racially abused. That dichotomy shows that there's still so much work in the league and society at large to stamp out racism, and just because he's not wearing our colours doesn't mean he shouldn't get our support after last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Popped over to the Suns board to see how they were feeling about the game and saw this comment which I thought would be worth sharing here. I'm not saying we should all cheer our hearts out for an opposition player, but it'd be nice if we as a fanbase got around Mabior after last week when, while we were celebrating our club record seven indigenous players, he was racially abused. That dichotomy shows that there's still so much work in the league and society at large to stamp out racism, and just because he's not wearing our colours doesn't mean he shouldn't get our support after last week.
i just don't get why there are people in this day and age who racially / or religiously abuse players.

I wasnt aware he had been racially abused, have read nothing about it. There are idiots everywhere and I dont think we can stop everyone of them. He is a good player, I hope he does well but not against us...:) I am sure all saints followers will offer support.

Fantastic initiative and class act by you ZedNotZee on behalf of the SUNS and our fanbase I commend you for this action and want you to know we thoroughly appreciate it. You’re right colours of guernseys are irrelevant when racism is unfortunately still so prevalent in the AFL. We need to take a stand against it in every way, shape and form and let everyone know it is not okay under any circumstance. I’m confident Mabior would be thrilled if he received positive vocal support on Saturday. Thank you for your humility and all the best for Saturday I’m looking forward to a competitive clash!

OUT: Webster (ill.) Ryder (susp.) Byrnes (sub.)

IN: Higgins Campbell/Hayes Kent (sub.)

B: Paton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Lienert - Battle - Sinclair
C: Wood - Crouch - Hill
HF: Gresham - Membrey - Butler
F: Higgins - King - Campbell/Hayes
Foll: Marshall Steele Ross

Int: McKenzie Windhager Wanganeen-Milera Long
Sub: Kent

Kent only in as the sub, and equally happy for Bytel or Owens, or Sharman, to be.

Not a fan of the sub personally, and would rather Byrnes got some game time with Sandy than sitting on the pine two weeks in a row.

Last edited:
Luko spent most time on the wing against Blues delivering inside 50, occasionally half forward. Corbett was 3rd tall and played well. Most probably Sharp replaces Luko or Hollands could debut.

Sharp looks like he plays like tall small forward from when I've watched you. I didn't watch your last game but they were talking Luko up as a forward preseason. He's an elite kick so that role makes sense. What happened to Sexton? He seems to have lost his mojo. He looked a gun a few years back.

Corbett looks okay though and I rate Sharp, he looked good in one game I watched last year. Moves well and was scoring.

Sharp looks like he plays like tall small forward from when I've watched you. I didn't watch your last game but they were talking Luko up as a forward preseason. He's an elite kick so that role makes sense. What happened to Sexton? He seems to have lost his mojo. He looked a gun a few years back.

Corbett looks okay though and I rate Sharp, he looked good in one game I watched last year. Moves well and was scoring.
Probably the best role for Luko in the last game. Teammates still ignored him in good positions. Work in progress.

Sharp is a typical wingman, runs all day, good kick, still some way to go regarding consistency.

Sexton had a groin surgery in the off-season. I suspect it will take him some time to get back to his best. I would say he lost a bit speed and confidence. He got some competition now and Hollands did not even debut.

It should be a good game if Suns bring the effort, pressure from Blues game. Looking forward to it. I will be watching the game together with a boyfriend of my daughter who is a Saints fan :p One of us will not be happy.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Big game for Paton here. Has been one of the only players a bit down on their best form so far. Some sloppy frees against and his kicking not quite as sharp as it can be. To be expected after a broken leg. Often takes a whole additional year for players to get back to their absolute best after such a gruesome injury. I think he'll enjoy being the main lock down small this week in Webster's absence. He thrived in 2020 having the responsibility. Suns have some dangerous smalls so he'll need to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back