Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS been impressed with his chasing and ball use playing a defensive forward
getting his 10 to 15 possessions kicking occasional goal has been good
I said he was delist material at start of year
Clarke was good today like others got better when he was mad.

Petch and Rotham both where good but spent way to much time on the bench that didnt make
a lot of sense to me

Positives:
Allen and Waterman played fantastically
Jones continues to accumulate across half-back
Nice glimpses from Clark, Culley and Petruccelle

Negatives:
Defence looks disorganised without McGovern and Hurn
O'Neill looks short of the level
Gaff gave very little today - too slow for his old role on the wing, and playing inside is not his strength

Hope the AFL takes action on Dangerfield. Probably won't cos of his superstar/good guy status.
There is nothing inadvertent about him poking Ginbey's eye here. He's looking straight at him.
View attachment 1662467
Video also above.
I hate Dangerflog as much as the next campaigner but there’s no way he intentionally put his thumb in Ginbey’s eye. The ball is right there

Did you attend the game?
Failing that, are you drunk?
Failing that, have you heard of OPSM?

He (duggan) was average at best. I saw it live and he was bona fide vanilla

If that's the best he has to offer, it's a low bar. Now please, stop with the endless sycophantry.
We had plenty of negatives mate, it’s not ‘sycophantry’ (?) to say I liked Duggan’s game.

Thought he was our best defender by some way and put himself in harm’s way a lot to fill the hole.

You didn’t see it that way, fair bump play on.

We had plenty of negatives mate, it’s not ‘sycophantry’ (?) to say I liked Duggan’s game.

Thought he was our best defender by some way and put himself in harm’s way a lot to fill the hole.

You didn’t see it that way, fair bump play on.

A sychophantry is a cupboard where you store kitchen goods and ingratiating compliments to superiors. The 'h' is silent.

It's almost as if the ball was right next to Ginbeys face.
Yeah, I can't stand Dangerfield but there's nothing in it. The ball is right next to his face and it's in a contest where everyone is off balance and being shoved around. Just unlucky

Half an hour of trash footy killed us. We were never gonna win before that (let alone after it), but the second half fight back showed plenty of character.

Agree we should stick with our new game plan, which will come good in the end (as our older players get used to it and and the kids bulk up a bit).

I thought Yeo was great in the midfield when we needed his physicality. It’s a pity he hasn’t got the fitness to remain there. Rotating with RG could be a possibility…

Petch, XON and West are never going to be better than they are. If we can get rid of them, we should. For the moment, though, beggars can’t be choosers.

OA and JW look great together, and Long will get there.

Lots to be happy about, I reckon. If you look hard and squint your eyes a bit, you can begin to see the start of what might be a successful rebuild.

No complaints about the kids. Good on them for trying against a much bigger and more experienced outfit.

TB and JD don’t look fit – or something else is going on.

SPS is getting better every game, and he’s certainly worked on his tackling and second efforts.

Finally, BBW is also getting better every game. People make excuses for TK’s disposal on the basis that he doesn’t have competent support in the midfield and around him. The same can be said for BBW. I reckon he’ll get there. He tried bloody hard today, and put his body on the line.

All in all, more positives than negatives today (and there were plenty of negatives).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, I can't stand Dangerfield but there's nothing in it. The ball is right next to his face and it's in a contest where everyone is off balance and being shoved around. Just unlucky

Not unlucky, mate. That was deliberate. Done to show the kid who’s boss. Same with the studs out mark. EY knew what happened, and understood what had to be done. Just imagine how Woosha would have dealt with a situation like that if he were still playing. PD would have been stretchered off

Positive and Negative

The coaching staff finally put Yeo in the middle. We desperately needed him around the contest as we got slaughtered in the second term and half of the first. Aĺlowed him to get in the game after he was ineffectual in the first half (no real surprise playing in the backline with the amount of ball they had) Also allowed Kelly to get more into the game seeing he wasnt the only player to worry about.

Negative that it took the coaching staff so long

Positive and Negative

The coaching staff finally put Yeo in the middle. We desperately needed him around the contest as we got slaughtered in the second term and half of the first. Aĺlowed him to get in the game after he was ineffectual in the first half (no real surprise playing in the backline with the amount of ball they had) Also allowed Kelly to get more into the game seeing he wasnt the only player to worry about.

Negative that it took the coaching staff so long

Feel Simmo doesn't have any killer instinct left.

He should of thrown Yeo in the middle when Cats were getting a run on.

On CPH2375 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You guys realise the reason why he wasn't thrown in the middle is because he's more likely to get injured playing midfield right?
And that he got injured playing in the midfield? He didn't finish the game after his chase down and hit on danger

Saw the game live.

The chasing and tackling in the first half was below WAFL standard. Geelong kicked some arsey goals as well.

Geelongs hands in close and running patterns tore us to shreds. No surprise that when we cracked into the contest we went some way to matching them.

Far too often 2 or 3 players get drawn to the ball carrier leaving multiple options free

Second half fightback was great to see, I'd be happy with showing that style of footy and getting 2/3 wins this year. Need another 2 top 10 picks at a bare minimum.

Special mention to snake Waterman , played an exceptional game from start to finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPS been impressed with his chasing and ball use playing a defensive forward
getting his 10 to 15 possessions kicking occasional goal has been good
I said he was delist material at start of year
Clarke was good today like others got better when he was mad.

Petch and Rotham both where good but spent way to much time on the bench that didnt make
a lot of sense to me

It feels at times like Simmo has guys he pigeonholes/doesn’t like and others he does.

I mean Petch and Rotham have both been at the club for about 5 seasons - what is their position? Their role? Anyone?

Hope the AFL takes action on Dangerfield. Probably won't cos of his superstar/good guy status.
There is nothing inadvertent about him poking Ginbey's eye here. He's looking straight at him.
You could argue against it but it looks to me like he goes for Ginbey's face then slides his hand down to the ball afterwards.
Nvm though, nothing will happen.
View attachment 1662467
Video also above.
Hmm, hard to say, but if it was deliberate - a dog act.

The noun is sycophancy (according to the OED). But I haven’t noticed the Big Kohuna fella brown nosing anyone on this forum (or anywhere else for that matter) recently.

Have you settled on a way to spell this yet?
The veteran posters (and in that regard, I’m guessing you’re the Big Cahuna) are showing me the ropes, that’s for sure.

I don’t know whether that’s a compliment or an insult, but I’ll take it as the former. As I told the Big Conuna fella, I’ve never posted here under any other name, and I only joined the forum a few weeks ago.
I’m guessing I’m dealing with another Big Kahuna here, but I thought it was clear that the thrust of my post was not what Keys should post, but what others should be permitted to post. As it happens, his response to my post understood that point completely. It was an excellent response.

You guys realise the reason why he wasn't thrown in the middle is because he's more likely to get injured playing midfield right?
And that he got injured playing in the midfield? He didn't finish the game after his chase down and hit on danger
If you can't contend a few Centre bounces you shouldn't be out there.

To me that's just loser talk !!

Don't expect him to play the whole game in the middle but game was on the line throw him in to stop the rot so to speak !!

Our swagger ,killer instinct and arrogance is down the toilet !!!!

Have you settled on a way to spell this yet?

Yep. Kahuna. I’m a slow learner.

From OED:

kahuna /kəˈhuːnə /
▸ noun (in Hawaii) a wise man or shaman.
North American informal an important person; the person in charge:
one big kahuna runs the whole show.

Last edited:

Don't expect him to play the whole game in the middle but game was on the line throw him in to stop the rot so to speak !!

He literally got injured playing in the centre today...it's nothing to do with swagger, killer instinct or arrogance. It's to do with him getting his body right so he can move back into the middle. Which we didn't do and the result is he's potentially out again

I’m not quite sure now is the right time to be showing “swagger” or “arrogance”. We are in the stages of a major rebuild. It’s going to be hard work for a while.

The young players (mids) need the opportunity to learn - no better way than learning first hand from the best as to what is required to be a top level midfielder.

Yeo simply cannot be a full time mid anymore, the potential injury he suffered again today solidifys that.

We find some more in the draft this year and they get a preseason and opportunity at the start next year, like Ginbey and Hewett have.

Positives:
  • XON, Petruccelle, and West are making it a very easy decision on who to trade/delist at the end of the year.
  • The guys could've gone into their shells and seen this blowout to a 100+ point thrashing, so to win the second half is something to hang their hat on. We only conceded 7 more scoring shots in the end.

Negatives:
Some of the older guys are so out of form. If Gaff's role is to play as a defensive mid then I'd rather see Clark tried there. Gaff is tackling more this year but he struggles to nullify, whereas Clark drops guys like a bag of shit. If Gaff is the one being tackled he struggles to get an effective disposal away, Clark can absorb a tackle better and has demonstrated he has quick clean hands. Just doesn't make sense to me playing Gaff inside and Clark outside in the same team.

The inability to stop opposition run-ons is a massive concern.

At no point did I expect us to win, but conceding 10 consecutive goals far overshadows any positives IMO.

The fact that it’s a regular occurrence calls the coach into question.

Granted.

But considering the lack of senior players the team has shown to take a hit, wipe it from their memories and win the next quarter.

Big fan of industry super funds, and from little things big things grow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5, 2023 : Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back