Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to hear about Wilson's lack of form. New dad syndrome? Hope he gets over it quickly anyway.

Hopefully Fyfe is back this week, I like watching him play.

I'm a little surprised about your concern in the ruck. I've seen a lot of both of them and would rate Lobb's tapwork over Mummy. Mummy has come back fine though and helps us a lot to control the space around the clearances.

For us Toby Greene is 50-50 and seems likely to replace Buntine if he plays.

Assuming Sheridan isn't fit then Hatley seems favourite to replace Ward. Leon seems to want outside run and although an inside mid at junior/SANFL level we've been playing Hately on a wing.
I think we want to move Kelly inside as he gets match fitness.

Club apparently not confident in the crowd with members being offered two additional GA tkts. Surprising as we usually fill Manuka in good weather. There's not much spectator civer.

Thanks mate. I haven't watched GWS closely enough, still a new season and aside from studying my own team, it's mostly the top teams and those with outlier results - pretty helter skelter and who the top teams are isn't settled yet. So it's hard to know the difference with ins/outs etc. You've given a nice pointer for what to look for in the next week.

If Hamling is ok or Nyhuis can come in for him, I’d like Cox to replace Tabs. I really think the team would be improved by that change. He’s better in the ruck and is a smarter, and more mobile player. The issue is his set shot kicking but Tabs isn’t great either.
Meanwhile back in reality Tabs missed shots at goals but still was our most effective forward last night. If our kicking was better he would have had three or four more easy shots. Last night could have been a major break out game for tabs as he was open a heap. Its just too many players up the field stuffed uo their kicks to him. At one point he was twenty metres clear of Barrass and the kicked made it look like the West Coast player was in fremantle colours. Dpesnt change the fact an A grade defender (according to the West anyway) struggled to keep up with the mobility of Tabs.
Cox meanwhile kicked two goals from five possessions in his only game back as a permanent forward (played most defence this weekend). Still a great prospect, but needs to rediscover a bit the confidence he had in the preseason to return to the team as a forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz just doesn't look like he is senior AFL material. Small without tricks and can't kick over a jam tin . He must go. Ballantyne is a mile in front of him and look how he is treated on here .Out Schulz and in any one .

I liked this salim, because I had a chuckle as it is what many of us are thinking - I am sure of that. Saying that he does have some attributes, speed and he finds the footy. It is kind of like Gibbons from Carlton. You think, if only he could do this then he would be a player - so maybe once he starts kicking goals his confidence will go up and he could actually be a similar player to Ballas.

I think he is the obvious out, purely because of that critical miss. If he got that goal, he would be in the team again.
Colyer is more mature and I am starting to doubt his ability. Some horrendous decisions, and a lack of skill, he seems to be under more pressure than he actually is at times. Same thing, he finds the footy, and he has speed, but he has made some costly mistakes.

For everyone calling for Wilson to be dropped, stop now. He is not getting dropped. He is out of form, however we know he is capable and a quality player and person. With our current list it is a non-negotiable that he plays, as we keep playing Brayshaw, and Cerra and others - and we just have to ride the storm and hope they find form.

Brayshaw had an awesome game which was great to see, and Cerra is all class so he will come good. Wilson does enough, but he is under performing - no doubt - he is still so far above other players on our list IMO, so entertaining the discussion is simply mind boggling. Wilson is a massive part of our drive forward through the next decade, so you support and wait for form. That is simple 101 management to me. He is a beautiful kick, has one of the longest kicks in our team, can run the lines, and for whatever reason he is not looking the best. I put this down to a change in our style, and he will get there, we just need a little patience.

I thought he had a mixed night. Some good stuff but gave away two crucial free kicks in front of goal through holding and didn't chase on other occasions . I don't rate him that highly but as he is clearly a teachers pet and will get picked its best that he does ok
Jeez 'Teachers pet'. What a load of absolute nonsense. Thats why he spent most of last year out of the team. The holding the ball chase downs pretty much only happen when there is lack of talk from team mates. ITs hard to have eyes in the back of your head. That applies to all players too. Not sure on the other error as I was at the game so possibly missed one if the ball was up the other end. Fill free to enlighten me. Id love to know the examples you have of him not chasing. He led all defenders (in terms of players who spent all game in defence ie not Conca) last night in tackles with four.

My views on the weekend
Get Darcy in - he was very good yesterday for peel and Lobb (who had a pretty good game around the ground) was poor in the centre square. There were several occassions where either vardy or hickey was the player to get the clearance. Our mids were concerned with making sure that their player didn't get the pill that Lobb needed to nullify the ruckman. He didn't do this. Darcy is a heap better when the ball hits the deck - he hunts it.

Cerra - Thought he attacked it well and he looked composed with ball in had. Needs to get more of it but still pretty solid. I think you can excuse a 13 possession game to someone in their second season.
Tucker - worst game for the season - along with Cerra he didnt have a tackle for the game - was he meant to be tagging someone?
Brayshaw - disposal still the issue but seemed to be better positioned this week.
Wilson - looked ordinary, heard he may have come off at the end of the game with tightness in his hammy. might be a good excuse to rest before making him work his way into form through the wafl
Conca - other than the major stuff up he was ok - gives us a mature midfield body that we do not really have outside of Fyfe and Mundy. Clangers when under pressure I can take. but not those when he has none. Persist with him for a little while longer.
Colyer - bog ordinary - 3 out of 13 possessions were clangers. The worst bit about that stat is that he only got 13 possessions. For someone as quick as he is meant to be why is he not getting to space to receive uncontested possessions more often. Only 2 marks for the games. This guy is 27 years old and coming up on 100 games. On top of this he had the least amount of time on the ground. If we had a full list to pick from he would be depth only. Would rather that we had kept deboer or tommy.
Hughes - I'm not a huge fan but he can keep this spot until a fit Logue takes it with WAFL form. Persisted through the day but gave up a couple of useless frees in the contest that resulted in goals. The one that looked like he stumbled in the marking contest that gifted a shot on goals is too often part of his game. Trys hard but not quite there. I also panic everytime the ball is in his hands. Same feeling I used to get when Shane Parker had the ball.
Tabs - for me he is the forward to go if we feel we are too tall. This may be a bit harsh but I think he lost the game for us. While he played ok and got the ball a fair bit. His delivery into the forward line was crap and his ability to convert shots on goal was deplorable. The shot in the pocket did my head in. Hogan and McCarthy look a lot better when they get the ball. You feel that they will leave the team in a better position after they have disposed of it. You can not say this about Tabs.

From the WAFL I was also impressed with Carter. Looked pretty good one on one and hunted the ball well. He was involved in my highlight of the day when he went in hard to a one on one contest on the wing. Came out of it ball in hand and back to his feet in an instance before delivering the ball to a team mate.
Valente looked ok but not ready for afl with that effort.
Cox not overly involved but will be needed if Hamling is an out.

Changes for me:
Ins - Fyfe, Darcy, Cox
Outs - Hamling, Schultz, Wilson

Am a bit worried that we go in overly tall but we do not have enough midfield cover to bring in until we get Hill and Blakley back in

This week we need to cover Himmelberg, Cameron and Finlayson. We can do this with Pearce, Hamling and Hughes (in no particular order). The other assumption is that Fyfe needs to come in.

So If Hamling can’t get up, Cox will need to come in, and Fyfe will have to replace someone. Wilson would be my call, and he might be struggling with a hamstring anyway. He’s certainly struggling for form.

For Darcy to come in, we would have to cut one of Lobb, Taberner or McCarthy. Sean stays at Peel for the moment.

North, Valente, Bewley need more time. Giro and Crowden need to work on their composure.

Meanwhile back in reality Tabs missed shots at goals but still was our most effective forward last night. If our kicking was better he would have had three or four more easy shots. Last night could have been a major break out game for tabs as he was open a heap. Its just too many players up the field stuffed uo their kicks to him...

So this was a breakout for Tabs except for poor kicking from his teammates?
Makes sense. After all they needed to give him easier shots than 15m out directly in front.
He obviously needs more service like the goal square handball from McCarthy.

Didn't think Wilson was that bad. Not his best game but it was more a collection of just-off moments rather than glaring errors.

Switkowski needs to stay, he has a bit of something about him. Would prefer he stays higher up and allows Matera deeper where he can seagull away, it is what he is good at.

In - Fyfe, Darcy
Out - Colyer, Schultz

Probably one tall too many but while Lobb is probably a touch better around the ground (Darcy better at the stoppage IMO) we just need to pump games into Darcy.

If Hamling doesn't get up get Nyhuis in.

Schultz just doesn't look like he is senior AFL material. Small without tricks and can't kick over a jam tin . He must go. Ballantyne is a mile in front of him and look how he is treated on here .Out Schulz and in any one .
He is the same as Scotty Waters was and about the same size and he got some games at Wiggles Swans and Dockers . We need him to play more games and his pressure is betteer than Ballantynes of last and this year.

He is the same as Scotty Waters was and about the same size and he got some games at Wiggles Swans and Dockers . We need him to play more games and his pressure is betteer than Ballantynes of last and this year.

Can't see it myself Danny but I hope you're right otherwise if Schultz doesn't make it it's another waisted pick

similar to odds eagles, and if we could kick straight, some people would have been very happy!!
I think everyone's overrating our win at Geelong. They think it's a real break through moment because they don't realise we're not a young team fragile away anymore. You guys beat them in a final there as I recall. The Eagles smacked us because we couldn't stop their transition or compete well enough in the air.

We are 9-0 In Canberra since 2015 but it's just a ground, similar to the MCG in dimensions. That's probably a big factor in the market. A couple of metres wider and a bit shorter.

Usually on the hard side, but probably less than Optus from all reports, and it's been a pretty wet Autumn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 5: Changes Vs Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back