Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo Dr 's argument is that our current back 6 is the optimal back 6 because we've kicked an average of 4 more goals a game with the new structure. Unfortunately, the premise of that argument is false (we've actually kicked an average of 1 point less a game) so the conclusion does not follow. That was the point I was making.

I was quoting Fox Footy they were talking about a 4 goal per game extra in the differential this year versus our opponents. Obviously it is only four games but we are definitely looking more dangerous and we haven't played any really weak teams yet.

Last edited:

The ultimate goal is to win a game of football on 3/10/2015 at a venue called the MCG.

In 2013 we played 3 games at this mythical site.
In 2014 we played 2 games there.

In the 2013 GF we were bamboozled by the tricky wind conditions on the day.

This season we are scheduled to play 2 home and away games on the hallowed turf.

Would it not be prudent to give our modified game plan a couple of trial runs, with our best available team, at the scene of the main event?

I reckon ross should prove a point and leave ballas in the twos this week, bring crozier in...ballas must stop his dickhead behavior especially when a game is iced already. Everyone has their fair share of badluck no need to add to it.

I reckon ross should prove a point and leave ballas in the twos this week, bring crozier in...ballas must stop his dickhead behavior especially when a game is iced already. Everyone has their fair share of badluck no need to add to it.
balla's attack on the ball/man is what makes him such a great player. The pressure he puts on the opposition when there is a loose ball is a major reason as to why he's in our best 22.

You can't punish him for playing the game the way he does, because it's what makes him special.

Accidents just happen, especially when you're as hard at it as ballas is.

MdB fined for striking Cunningham, but free to play.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-27/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-four

Matt de Boer, Fremantle, has been charged with striking Harry Cunningham, Sydney Swans, during the second quarter of the Round Four match between Fremantle and the Sydney Swans, played at Domain Stadium on Saturday April 25, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Sydney Swans Football Club, it was the view of the panel the incident should be classified as careless conduct with low impact to the head. The offence was classified as a $1500 sanction. An early plea can reduce the penalty to a $1000 sanction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Mundy's comment when interviewed on radio after the game saying "it's very nice of the AFL to allow us to play 2 games at the MCG this year".
Our home & away games at the MCG:
2015 - 2; 2014 - 2; 2013 - 2; 2012 - 2; 2011 - 3; 2010 - nil.

We're not the only ones denied access to the 'G' - Sydney have only 2 h&a games there this year (3 last year). Port have only one h&a game there this year (1 last year too).

Since the 2013 GF, Hawthorn have played 16 games at the 'G' (14W-2L) with a further 7 h&a games still to come this season.

Since winning the '05 GF, Sydney have played a further 8 finals at the 'G' (1W-7L).

From 2008 - present, Hawthorn have played 15 finals at the 'G' (12W-3L). Their only finals game away from the 'G' during that period was the 2010 EF - we smacked 'em by 30 points.

Top of our wish list this year - reach the GF and not face Hawthorn.

Are people really saying Barlow out/rested? You know players can have quiet games right? If fyfe only gets 15 this week do we drop him too? Geeeeez!
Prob likely only 1 change.
In - ballaz
Out - Gu or deboer
None of this resting poop yet. Only been 4 games.
Barlow has been un-Barlow like the last couple of games and I would either give him a break and play him at Peel or if he has a niggle then a week off completely.
What this does is it sends a message to all players that unless performing at close to their best their position is up for grabs.
Also instills the hunger at Peel to show that good performances will be rewarded.
Granted Mick has had only 2 quiet games, if he does get a gig this week and is still down then maybe give him the break the following week against the Dons.

In: Ballas, Hannath/Griffen
Out: de boer, one of Sandi, Pav (Resting period should start but no mass like Saints last year etc)

I doubt we'll see the resting of maca,PAV and sandi until after the bye.

We have the bye ,play the pies (h)on a Thursday night then we play brissy.

I'm tipping we'll see some of the older guys resting for the brissy rnd 14 (h) clash then probably again for the Carlton fixture in rnd 16 (h).

In that block maca might only play two games of footy over a five week period.

Barlow has been un-Barlow like the last couple of games and I would either give him a break and play him at Peel or if he has a niggle then a week off completely.
What this does is it sends a message to all players that unless performing at close to their best their position is up for grabs.
Also instills the hunger at Peel to show that good performances will be rewarded.
Granted Mick has had only 2 quiet games, if he does get a gig this week and is still down then maybe give him the break the following week against the Dons.
I think Micky has a few more credits in the bank than to be dropped after a couple of quiet games.

I think Micky has a few more credits in the bank than to be dropped after a couple of quiet games.
I do agree, but I guess my thought was more along the lines of a rotation policy to keep the hunger as it is not often in our history that we have had such good depth and a small injury list. Probably too early after only 4 games;)
I am a huge Barlow fan and want to see him performing at his best, as we all know that is pretty bloody good.

No resting till later in the season - Ballas is a definite in - I guess the usual suspects are under pressure - Suban, De Boer plus Mzungu as he was the sub - also Tabs was
Subbed off so he might also miss out perhaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Round 5 Changes vs. Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back