Round 7 - Adelaide vs Geelong now starting at 12:45pm so people can watch Black Caviar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be on Sky Racing if you're lucky. Certainly won't be on FTA.

It was on Channel 7 last week.

IMO it's farcical to move the game for Black Caviar's race,even though I am right into racing. There are different types of events that clash all year every year for most games of varying importance - do we move game times for them too??

The commonsense solution IMO would have been to show the race on the big screens after the game, and make more money on the sale of beer and hot dogs etc while those who are interested wait for the race.

Not that I really care, but if they were going to move the game to a different timeslot, changing it to a night match would have made far more sense to me.

What a dreadful thing to say. :thumbsdown: Caviar is a once in a life time horse. Shame you can't appreciate what an amazing record that she has achieved.

it is a horse race, If I put a heap of money on another horse to win, then I would hope black caviar would lose to

I don't get why it is dreadful? it is a horse in a horse race which is run for gambling.

Can someone explain to me the fuss over this horse? Yeah it's won 20 in a row, but what big races has it won? I'm not a horse racing person at all but from what I understand this horse isn't exactly racing against other great horses?

10 G1 race wins (I believe there are a total of 29 horses which have won 10 or more) and multiple victories by several lengths against Hay List says you understand wrong. :p

I'm no expert though, so I could be wrong. Can't imagine the fuss would be so high if she hadn't won or beaten anything significant.

Can someone explain to me the fuss over this horse? Yeah it's won 20 in a row, but what big races has it won? I'm not a horse racing person at all but from what I understand this horse isn't exactly racing against other great horses?

I would like to know this as well.

IMO Makybe Diva >>>> Black Caviar

3 Melbourne cups in a row over what, 20 wins in a row against no ones.

I'd even go as far as to suggest that Better Loosen up is a superior horse (Cox plate and Japan cup)

That would make Black Caviar 3rd best horse in Australia in the last 20 years.

10 G1 race wins (I believe there are a total of 29 horses which have won 10 or more) and multiple victories by several lengths against Hay List says you understand wrong. :p

I'm no expert though, so I could be wrong. Can't imagine the fuss would be so high if she hadn't won or beaten anything significant.

No need to be a smart ass, as I stated I'm not a horse racing person, Hay List means nothing to me.

I know nothing either? Why hasn't black caviar raced in the Melbourne cup? Wrong distance?

Yep. It's too long for her. She's a sprinter not a distance runner, classed as one of the best in the world, not just Oz. There is a horse ahead of her (54 wins!!!) from Hungary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know nothing either? Why hasn't black caviar raced in the Melbourne cup? Wrong distance?

Yep, as Jenny said Black Caviar is a sprinter and generally runs between 1000 and 1200 Metres. Their was some talk a few months back that Peter Moody was going to try and increase her distance and test her over 2200 meters to see how she went with a hope of getting her up the 3200 M mark for the Melbourne Cup.

But that's like asking Usain Bolt to run the London marathon instead of the 100 and 200 M.

It's a bloody half hour difference! Get over it. Sheesh.

It's not going to make much difference anyway. All the 30 minutes will do is give people an opportunity to get in front of a TV.

She is going to run at Morphettville racecourse and that is on Anzac highway. That's a minimum of 15 minute drive from AAMI Stadium.

Try getting from your seat at AAMI Stadium to a seat or standing at Morphettville in 30 minutes? it's not going to happen.

Go from your seat, back to your car, drive to Morphettville racecourse (15 K) find a park, pay to get in and then find a place to watch it. 50 minutes easy.

They needed to just put the race on the big screen at AAMI Stadium.

:confused: Where was I complaining? I was merely asking what the fuss over this horse was as I have no interest in the subject and was asking for a simple explanation.

Punchy, I don't see it either but the continuity of victories from the horses first race to have an unbeaten record is basically unheard of.

I will start to rate Black Caviar once it has one a few international races in Hong Kong or Europe.

It's not going to make much difference anyway. All the 30 minutes will do is give people an opportunity to get in front of a TV.

She is going to run at Morphettville racecourse and that is on Anzac highway. That's a minimum of 15 minute drive from AAMI Stadium.

Try getting from your seat at AAMI Stadium to a seat or standing at Morphettville in 30 minutes? it's not going to happen.

Go from your seat, back to your car, drive to Morphettville racecourse (15 K) find a park, pay to get in and then find a place to watch it. 50 minutes easy.

Maybe it was more a public transport thing? If all the busses are busy at the footy, then they can't use them for the races? Can't see how half an hour makes an iota of difference one way or the other.

And PB - my anguished post was not directed at you persay - just can't believe this thread is 3 pages long over half an hour. :p

Maybe it was more a public transport thing? If all the busses are busy at the footy, then they can't use them for the races? Can't see how half an hour makes an iota of difference one way or the other.

Maybe but I doubt it.

I say this because Morphettville racecourse has very good access to it already with both the tram and a bus link as it's just of Anzac Highway. Morphettville racecourse is located along the city to bay tram system.

Plus they have 3 or 4 bus stops in very close proximity to the course and I would imagine the buses wouldn't change the rout along Anzac highway Saturday week.

I think the AFL didn't put enough thought into this, it was a good idea but not enough actual thought went into it. But they only had 2 options, 30 minutes forward or not at all as a night game would not suit TV.

Never herd of it. So sprinting seems like its not as popular?

Sprinting is certainly the "little sister" of the racing carnival but none-the-less important. The G1 races are also run on the "big race days", so it maybe the race before the Cox Plate or Caufield Cup etc. It is unusual to have a sprinter of such quality. When Black Caviar won the Newmarket Cup last year, she became the highest weighted winner of this prestigious cup in 136 years! And the prize money is nothing to sneeze at either - almost $7 million from 20 starts. Dunaden (Melbourne Cup winner last year) has won $3.6 million from 29. Shocking two years before has won $4.9 million from 27 starts.

I think thats why the jockey club has pushed back the race, to give people an hour to get there from the game. I love how the jockey club has given themselves an out however, by pushing the race to 4:20pm daylight permitting. Be interesting to see what happens if that day happens to come with a few dark clouds....

Still think its ridiculous to assume enough crows members are so desperate to see both that they did this. I'm not fussed about the 30 min change, in fact I am happy to get more of the afternoon afterwards, but the reason for it is stupid. I don't see them changing game times when other minorities want to attend something else so why this?

EDIT: Finally found the link between the Crows and the horse race that has caused this - turn to page 75 of the Sunday Mail. In brief, the 4 co-owners of a horse called Go the Knuckle include Pavlich and one Rob Chapman, the crows chairman. This horse is likely to be running in the same race as Black Caviar. No wonder the game got changed, our precious chairman wanted to get over to see his horse up against the current phenomenon....

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 7 - Adelaide vs Geelong now starting at 12:45pm so people can watch Black Caviar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back