Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Our depth is really good. The most important thing is the team playing as a unit, no matter who comes in. A few brief points :
1. Mundy is not getting rested - he is like the orb that emits this radiation of calmness to the group. He is the mindfulness of Sam Harris mixed with the knowledge of Dan Carlin in war. He plays.
2. Logue is a beast. I think they have identified a role for him, in a run with player on a key forward that moves up the ground. So impressed with his performances and selflessness. The performance today cannot be overstated in the reason we got over the line. Cameron is in all time form and one of the best players in the comp!
3. Chapman and Young - yes they come in. Who goes out? I really like Walker and think he is one player that opens up the corridor. He is exciting and not afraid to play on and seems to have that awareness in evasion. At the end of the day this does not compare to Chappy who is just elite, and Young who has an incredible kick and vision when it comes off. He also can take a contested grab, and is hard at it.
4. Meek. Great game again, big blunder at the end, but heck, great performance overall, but Darcy is pushing into the top 3 rucks in the competition (if he can just stay on the park). Meek does not fit with Darcy. They are mutually exclusive.
5. Tucker - I have spoken in his defense on many occasions. He is a handy left kick, hits targets, can get a goal and is tough. Unfortunately for him, we need to move someone. His spot essentially becomes the Banfield role as the sub.

I will have to watch it again, but my suspicion is, that without Logue and Tucker, regardless, we may not have won the game tonight. I also want to watch Walker again, as he impresses me, but he does make occasional clangers. Reminds me slightly of Ed Langdon and we let him go. I think Walker is going to be a special player. Scared to drop him, but how do you fit everyone in?

So for me, I agree with those that posted - Meek, Tucker, Walker and in Darcy, Chapman and Young. Tough when you are at the top with a full list!

Edit: I forgot Treacy - he has good WAFL form, but I would like to see how Amiss goes. Happy to keep Treacy while Tabs out as he provides a contest, and hate dropping players after one game, but one mark (one taken off him), is not enough for a leading forward. We had a lot of I50s and he was not there, so he needs to improve.

Last edited:

Why is everyone so high on Sturt? Seems miles off to me. Yes he is bobbing up for a couple goals but genuinely hasn't been able to get near it. 6 and 11 disposals.

He has literally played 10 good mins of AFL and our fans think he is the next Gunston or Fritsch. He needs 6-7 games in a row at WAFL and some bad form or injuries to one of the forwards. He won’t be squeezed in to the team especially with the other big names ahead of him.

So who do you drop?
Only one could possibly drop is Walker.

Otherwise it’s just Darcy for Meek

Walker and NOD.

Aish into the middle.

Unlucky for both of those guys and I don't love losing the speed. Chappy is a must and Young is building. They make us a better team.

Take the opportunity to rest any sore players.

Mundy will not play 22 games this year, so this is a good game for him to rest. Same with Pearce.

Mundy (Rest) out for Erasmus
Tucker out for Young
Pearce (Rest) out of Chapman
Meek out for Darcy.

Super keen to give Sturt and Amiss a run, but they will need repeat the WAFL form and knock the door down to get in the team.

Who knows..
We have a stacked backline.
Geelong really struggled getting near us once they got it into their 50 & now we have to fit Chapman & young in ??
I really don't want to drop walker or logue..
Can chappy or young move up so we give mundy the week off ??

We can finally drop Banfield as sub.

I honestly don't want to rest any of the youngsters with the form we are in

Fyfe would walk into any team in the comp. Talk that we can't fit him in is silly. Let's not get carried away, we've started the season well. That's it.
The struggle to fit players in is a welcome problem and feels a bit weird.
I dont think anyone is seriously suggesting that a fit Fyfe wont get a game.

He has literally played 10 good mins of AFL and our fans think he is the next Gunston or Fritsch. He needs 6-7 games in a row at WAFL and some bad form or injuries to one of the forwards. He won’t be squeezed in to the team especially with the other big names ahead of him.
I would have thought more of a Breust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After yesterday's win what crowd can we get on friday night.

Will it add another 3-4k fans to jump aboard the freo train atm and get to optus.

45k i reckon would be a pass mark. Quality of opponent may prevent it from getting to 50k.

If Pearce still has a bit of a niggle with his ankle, then would be good to give him a rest vs North especially as their big fwd in Larkey may be in strife and rubbed out for the game with that tunnelling on Lewis Young last night.

Ins: Darcy, Young, Chapman
Out: Meek, Pearce, Walker

If also resting Mundy, bring in Ras

Take the opportunity to rest any sore players.

Mundy will not play 22 games this year, so this is a good game for him to rest. Same with Pearce.

Mundy (Rest) out for Erasmus
Tucker out for Young
Pearce (Rest) out of Chapman
Meek out for Darcy.

Super keen to give Sturt and Amiss a run, but they will need repeat the WAFL form and knock the door down to get in the team.

I remember the frustration of us entering the finals between 2012 and 2015 completely spent.

We have our current 22 plus Young, Chapman, Darcy, taberner, Amiss, and fyfe.

I would like rotate the team to ensure everyone is fit. Especially players like Mundy, and Pearce.
Why does Mundy need a rest? He already missed Rounds 2 and 3, and the bye is looming.

If you were going to rest any of the mids surely it would be Brodie (only 64% TOG yesterday) - and I reckon he'll be fine until Fyfe returns.

I never got the quality of opponent reducing an expected crowd thing.

Surely people want to flock to Optus on a Friday night to watch us hopefully smash a team
Well it’s more some of those ‘quality’ teams will have a WA supporter base to help bump up the crowd.
North’s WA supporter base would be lower than Carlton, Pies etc.

Why does Mundy need a rest? He already missed Rounds 2 and 3, and the bye is looming.

If you were going to rest any of the mids surely it would be Brodie (only 64% TOG yesterday) - and I reckon he'll be fine until Fyfe returns.
He is 37. His body must be sore. The older you get the longer your body takes to recover.

Most players would be carrying niggles through the year, a week or two rest will help.

Brodie might be carrying something, game time low. He got the big hit against Carlton? Came off for upper leg strapping

Not to mention the blokes never played more than 5 games in a season, prob gassed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After yesterday's win what crowd can we get on friday night.

Will it add another 3-4k fans to jump aboard the freo train atm and get to optus.

45k i reckon would be a pass mark. Quality of opponent may prevent it from getting to 50k.
Capacity restrictions removed for a start, so yeah would be great to see even more turn up

Brodie might be carrying something, game time low. He got the big hit against Carlton? Came off for upper leg strapping

Not to mention the blokes never played more than 5 games in a season, prob gassed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, all our mids have low game time, they're rotating them often

This is such a hard selection call this week, I still don’t think we can have all 4 of Pearce, Cox, Logue and Chapman in the backline. Without being complemented by the run of Walker and Clark. Ryan and Young don’t offer the same speed.
If Pearce has a niggle I’d rest him and bring Chapman back into the side, the only way I can see Young getting in as well would be at the expense of Tucker or Aish, which would be very harsh on either of them.
In: Darcy, Chapman
Out:Meek, Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs North Melbourne + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back