Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

You got concussed into Creed.
I got concussed out of being a moody teenager and in to positivity.

CAN YOO TUARK MEEEIIII HAIGHER

Not seeing a downside.

I even missed the month of school when we had to do dance in PE. And whilst concussed I still managed to start a blue at the footy from the sidelines.

Ok I guess it didn't completely knock the w***er out of me.

The 'migraine' line for Jones was a part of the whole thing that did not help perceptions. Even if it was a joke (i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on that), it was extremely naive to use it.

I thought it was because he passed the SCAT5 test, but still had a headache so that was the actual reason he was subbed. Rational caution.

There's no way he was going to be cleared to play against Geelong.
Not even we are that stupid.

Port Adelaide is set to cop a “significant fine” from the AFL, according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph, amid fierce reaction from the football community over the post-collision treatment of Aliir Aliir and Lachie Jones.

And while there are calls for the sanction to be in excess of $100,000, dual premiership Kangaroo David King believes clubs that breach concussion protocols should also be punished with suspended premiership points or draft picks.
I wonder what David King thinks should happen to players who coward punch 18 year old opponents? The head is sacrosanct, after all.

I thought it was because he passed the SCAT5 test, but still had a headache so that was the actual reason he was subbed. Rational caution.

There's no way he was going to be cleared to play against Geelong.
Not even we are that stupid.

That might be right. I only mentioned the way it looked because it was part of the overall vibe of the thing that didn’t help us.

That might be right. I only mentioned the way it looked because it was part of the overall vibe of the thing that didn’t help us.

Yeah I get that, and it was a bit of a misstep, but I guess all clubs make decisions to keep their options open.

Subbing him for 'migraine' is only an issue if they don't follow up with post game testing and send him to concussion protocols if there's an indication that there's delayed symptoms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, there are three or four, just not three or four that fit within your quite narrow scope for not following protocol. They fit in my scope hence why I think he should be sacked.

RE Wines. He was tackled to the ground on the boundary line at the Marvel and clearly hit his head. He got up and was dazed and a bit wobbly. Needed to be assessed and was not. It was shown by Damien Barrett as part of the footy classified segment from memory
If you go through each team forensically like they've looked for Port here you'd be sacking a lot more doctors.
Jamie Elliot clearly look just as dazed and wobbly after Burton's tackle in round 2 as Wines did in that game. Yet was never assessed.

Bailey Smith didn't even wave away a trainer after the Pickett bump, no one went near him.

And then there's thing like Jeremy McGovern who went off the ground for a head injury assessment, passed his test returned to the field and played out the game. On the Tuesday folllowing the game, he was ruled out with concussion from said incident. Port subbed out Jones despite passing his test, yet apparently Port is the club that treats everyone poorly.

Oh and the Hartlett incident blaming Fisher for that is pretty ridiculous. At the time that Hartlett was elbowed in the head, Fisher was treating a rib injury for Brad Ebert. Hartlett was checked over and sent back out without him even being aware of it. The AFL actually ruled that he had no fault in that occurance.

Last edited:
Lol you're doing the same thing. As we all are.

We're actually in agreement btw

My issue is conflating nothing issues with the real thing, making it something that it's not.

The 'migraine' line for Jones was a part of the whole thing that did not help perceptions. Even if it was a joke (i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on that), it was extremely naive to use it.

What makes it all the more egregious is that migraine is a symptom of concussion and as such, the player should have entered the concussion protocol at that point.

See, this is where being a doctor might actually be helpful. If you have a head clash and get a headache/migraine from it, does that automatically indicate concussion? That sounds doubtful to me but I'm not a doctor.

It's also worth remembering that the same doctor had no hesitation in subbing Todd Marshall off twice this season - both early in games and both in games where Dixon was absent (admittedly both against weak opponents but putting him in the concussion protocols does force him to miss the following week too).

I don't have a problem with the way the Jones incident unfolded. It's very possible he would've been put in the concussion protocols during the week anyway even without AFL intervention, we just don't know. It's the Aliir part of the incident that stunk.

What makes it all the more egregious is that migraine is a symptom of concussion and as such, the player should have entered the concussion protocol at that point.

He virtually was, wasn't he?

What would have happened differently with Jones if they'd used different terminology?

What would have happened differently with Jones if they'd used different terminology?

He would've entered the concussion protocols and been forced to miss this week too whereas migraine leaves him open to being played this week.

I'm still unconvinced that if symptoms persisted and the doctor thought Jones had concussion that he wouldn't have been put in the protocols later.

Partner of Sam Mayes

He was only placed in the concussion protocol on Monday like Aliir - essentially at the behest of the AFL.

He would've entered the concussion protocols and been forced to miss this week too whereas migraine leaves him open to being played this week.

I'm still unconvinced that if symptoms persisted and the doctor thought Jones had concussion that he wouldn't have been put in the protocols later.

That's my point, he was continually tested since the game and is now in concussion protocol.

IMO there was very little likelihood that he'd be cleared to play the next game. The focus of medical attention was on him for a very good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury SACK DOCTORS 1 - CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back