Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I think if Carr can get the players minds on winning for the club and it's fans we will be okay.

Our list isn't perfect but it's not that bad and if Houston ends up going that will give us a voice in the draft.

Can't wait to finally have a membership again along with others on here, we can get behind the coach and the team once again.

Just hope the people in charge will learn something from this decade from hell.

So be it, couldn't care less

Even more, good!

Good.

Anyone who comes here has to know that you need to adhere to the creed or we'll put the pressure on.

The media, to cover for Hinkley, has painted this as a bad and unreasonable thing. It's not an unreasonable thing, it's how you build culture. It's how we did it for 140 years before piss pants Koch the Care Bear came and ruined our culture by putting accountability on the backburner.

We have asked this question a few times after disappointing seasons, but what would it take for the club to do a complete independent external review? The club keep telling us what a wonderful job they do so they should welcome such a review.
That won't happen under the current admin imo, those days are done

Carr has been a highly rated assistant at 2 clubs, he's won a drought breaking premiership as a head coach in his own right, and he's a completely different character in every way from Hinkley.

Yes, we should run a full process, but Carr is ready, he's the right kind of character, there's nobody out there who is clearly better than him that we're passing up. Let's give him a go before we write him off.

I think we've made it folks - Hinkball is done, the Sackening is upon us. I can feel it.

His stupid little weasle words, avoiding accountability aren't going to save him this time - even in the finals press conference.

I've got a bottle of Don P ready for the event and I can't wait to pull up my deck chair and watch him walk out of Alberton with his cardboard box. I'll be there the day of the sackening and anyone who wants to come for a glass of the finest bubbly is welcome to join and boo him out one last time.

Goodbye Kenneth - I would say it's been a pleasure, but that's a lie.
I'm heading to Melbourne for a GF lunch on Friday so hoping I'm here for an announcement if it comes (still sceptical). I've been waiting since 2015 for this. I've remained a BD member throughout but will stand out next year if he's still there.

Carr has been a highly rated assistant at 2 clubs, he's won a drought breaking premiership as a head coach in his own right, and he's a completely different character in every way from Hinkley.

Yes, we should run a full process, but Carr is ready, he's the right kind of character, there's nobody out there who is clearly better than him that we're passing up. Let's give him a go before we write him off.
Happy to give him a go but how do you know there isn't a clearly better candidate out there. Carr with the same assistant coaches will be an improvement but we need new ideas & people with the required ambition to win a flag.

Hinkley is adored by his players according to our captain and that is all that matters, not the history of club not the fans he enjoys the love of his boys.He ain’t going anywhere.
All that matters imo is the success of the PA football club & that is measured by 2 things. Firstly, winning premierships & secondly, being financially viable. Rest is just side salad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy the Hinkley train as much as any Crows fan but Christ the last 24 hours from the media have been too much. I can't imagine what it must be like for Port fans to stomach the insane media narrative about a list that has been built by a coach in his 12th year in the role.
Just think Matthew Nicks, and then double it.

The talk is getting louder about Hinkley "walking away". I think this is happening. The club is definitely preparing the ground for a soft landing for everyone involved. Not sure Hinkley deserves to be seen to go out on his terms. Deserves a very public sacking but oh well.
I don't think he deserves a public sacking. It's the boards fault for never making the decision, they should be the ones copping it. Hinkley just wasn't good enough, should be sacked like every other coach that's done the same.

David King drove home 2 main points when discussing Port this morning:

1) It’s almost unfathomable that an AFL side can rubber stamp a forward line structure like ours. He just couldn’t believe how dysfunctional it was.

2) He was highly critical of the club pursuing & persisting with players who will always be B & C graders.

Last edited:
If it's true that people at the club read BF, maybe we should have a thread about our new coach Josh Carr.
If they see that supporters are on board, it may help with some with indecision where it counts.

The 2024 Goodbye (To Hinkley) New; Carr to coach in 2025 Discussion - Invented by Kevin Sheedy thread.

We're becoming the new Geelong's, everyone writes us off every year. We still find a way to make finals and prelims, then we lose and the cycle starts again.

Only difference being Chris Scott took what 11 years to win a flag* and 9 to get to a GF. Meanwhile we're here 12 years later in Never Never Land.

*Ignoring Chris' first year because he was basically handed a GF and cup there, taking over peak Geelong.

If it's true that people at the club read BF, maybe we should have a thread about our new coach Josh Carr.
If they see that supporters are on board, it may help with some indecision where it counts.
Are we on board with that? I'm not.

I want someone from outside. Untarnished. Fresh Ideas.

Made an account just to finally contribute to this thread. Been a club member since 1997 sans a few years here and there.

This situation is bizarre and is just another example of people in positions of power who have no idea what they’re doing. It’s not as if there will ever be a statue built outside AO of the current coach, and yet most of the media plus a lot of the club (seemingly) act as if this is the case. (And has been pointed out many times, both the media and even folks at the club might not have the club’s best interests at heart). But as we know, this is the longest serving coach never to make a grand final in the history of the game. Once again we have failed to move past the preliminary. Even if the list were not up to scratch - which it basically is (please note all the players who have won premierships who aren’t superstars) - the coach has had 12 years to compile a list which could, at the very least, make a grand final. Meanwhile, insert all the clubs that have made a GF or won one in that time (off the top of my head the ones who haven’t made a GF are Carlton, Essendon, Saints, GC, and North). And the so-called incredible H&A win-loss record is bolstered significantly with winning most games against those clubs (North, GC, etc.), while we have repeatedly failed to win games against good teams.

But the thing I want to emphasise is that the language, the ideas, and the attitude in general, which have been at play during this period of time, have not been helpful in actually winning a premiership. From “finals are scary” to using Oppenheimer as a theme (etcetera), the players have not been given a psychological chance of winning. I think they are emotionally psyched out because of the high amount of stress in the atmosphere, which I know others have spoken about but I just want to emphasise this point. Compare driving a car when you are totally stressed with being calm and relaxed. Yes sometimes playing with such stress can work in a game of footy, but the intensity is not sustainable and generally lacks joy. You need to actually want to win. We fell over the line in the one stress-induced finals win we’ve had in ten years. Premiership teams often want to play tough finals football. They manage to transform the stress into excitement (the language around Sydney last week was all about being excited). They were excited, we were unable to focus. 9.1 to 4.6. Under this coach, getting closer and closer to success has brought about more and more stress. And there’s been little guidance on what to do with this, because I don’t think the coach knows. And I think that deep down the players have wanted to avoid more of the psychological hellscape that comes about as we near success, and so it’s basic self-sabotage. It’s missing goals and kicking perfectly to the opposition when an opportunity is actually there. But the key here is that it doesn’t have to be so hellish. The players can learn how to relate differently to the emotions that come up, hopefully with a different coach who has been successful in winning a premiership. They need some breathing air, a fresh approach with a different attitude. The whole club needs it. Let’s give ourselves the best chance of winning some flags.
Beautifully written

"Hinkley got Port to a prelim, how do you know Carr will get you that far next year?"

Umm i guess Carr has 12 years to make a GF if we want to make this a level playing field.

The Hinkley fan club is talking as if Carr has to be better than Hinkley immediately or else its a fail.
I mean personally I don't care if a new coach takes us to the bottom 4 next year. I would rather have a crack as a club in trying to change, than keep persisting with what we know is not working. We need to find a GREAT coach. If that means we have to kiss a few frogs to get to the Prince then so be it.

We need change. We need to shake things up.

New gamestyle, new personnel, new voices for our players, new hope for our supporters. All those intangibles are missing at the moment and it creates incredibly repetitive results, comfortable players, and a flat supporter base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back