Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley managed to get us within a kick of a grand final berth in 2014 and 2020, and both preliminary final losses were to triple premiership teams full of high draft picks. We haven't had many high draft picks over the years and got screwed by GC and GWS compromising the drafts when we bottomed out in 2011 and 2012, but with a little more luck going our way then we would have won the 2014 and 2020 preliminary finals and Hinkley could be a premiership coach.

Chris Fagan's finals record was similar to that not too long ago, remember when he had a 1-5 record in finals despite Brisbane's high ladder finishes? There were plenty of Brisbane fans wanting Fagan sacked as well, but Brisbane stuck with him and now he's a premiership coach. Keep in mind that Fagan is five years older than Hinkley so there is still time for Hinkley to improve and learn new tricks.

If Hinkley is the issue then how come we've finished top 4 in four of the last five years? I know people say it's because the list is great but you need to remember that Hinkley has built this list. Everyone on the list has been recruited and developed under Hinkley's tutelage except for Travis Boak.
Mate, no one disputes he can coach. I think everyone here agrees that heā€™s a relatively ā€˜goodā€™ coach. He has a game plan than stacks up well against those clubs who donā€™t have the skills to beat it. Itā€™s why he has such a good record against clubs down the bottom of the table. But he just doesnā€™t have the IQ or footy nous or spark to figure out the next step. Heā€™s a coach who I think all of us agree was a good selection when we got him to steer us back on track. I think all of us here agree that he did some great work up until 2017. When we should have split there and he could have gone and coached another team that was struggling.
But what he isnā€™t, is an innovator like Mitchell or Clarkson before him. He is not the coach we need right now when we are going full tilt for a premiership. Because he canā€™t deliver one. I donā€™t know how hard it is to understand.

I know Hinkley's recent finals record isn't great, but I think we should stick with him, as he's managed to take us to the top 4 in four of the last five years. Remember that Fagan had a poor finals record up until recently and Brisbane were widely ridiculed for being chokers, so I think if we can bring in a quality tall forward (Jack Lukosius) and a quality small forward (Jack Martin?) it'll go a long way to rectifying our issue of converting inside 50s into scores.

Another issue we have is a sub par coaching panel apart from Hinkley and Carr. We saw the difference a coaching panel can make when Richmond kept Hardwick in 2016 (despite everyone wanting him sacked, sound familiar?) and brought in a bunch of new assistant coaches. Richmond went from 13th in 2016 to premiers in 2017. I believe Geelong did similar in 2021 as well by bringing in new assistant coaches for Chris Scott, and they went from being finals fodder in 2021 to premiers in 2022 which included dominant displays of winning their preliminary final and grand final by a combined 25 goals.

We need to get new assistant coaches to help Hinkley and bring fresh ideas into the coaching box. Clear out the likes of Cornes, Goldsack, Hartlett and Lobbe but make sure we keep Carr. With a reinvigorated coaching panel and a couple of new recruits to boost our forward line, it'll give us every opportunity to take the next step from preliminary finalists to grand finalists and have a real crack at the premiership.
Yeah, cause we haven't done that before with the assistant coaches. That hasn't worked. Stop avoiding the issue. Chris Fagan Ken Hinkley is not. Hinkley has gone as far as he can as coach of Port Adelaide, anyone believing otherwise is deluding themselves.

I have such a dilemma. Footy friends say renew as we have fun going out to dinner & at least we make the finals. I say, but I am part of the problem, I have to back my opinions with actions. And my head goes round & round.
You know you can have dinner with friends without sacrificing your soul to the devil!

All our major professional sports clubs in the Men's suck. Port, Crows, 36ers, United are all failures.

I find it very hard to believe that geography is the reason for that.

All those teams have had their moments in the sun, the 90ā€™s and early 2000ā€™s especially, has definitely been a lean patch though.

Weā€™ve been good enough to finish top 3 4 out of the last 5 years in the minor rounds so I donā€™t think you can blame the city of Adelaide for not being able to capitalise on that in finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A fair bit of what you are saying is reasonable, except for the bit about keeping Hinkley!!!!!!!
There is every chance we go backwards under a new coach, look at Adelaide they sacked Pyke two years after he took them to a grand final and Nicks hasn't even taken them into the top 8 despite being their coach for half a decade now. Unlike the Crows we can't afford to spend a lengthy amount of time in the lower rungs of the ladder. I remember when we missed finals for five years straight from 2008-2012 and how bad our crowds and finances became as a result.

I know Hinkley's recent finals record isn't great, but I think we should stick with him, as he's managed to take us to the top 4 in four of the last five years. Remember that Fagan had a poor finals record up until recently and Brisbane were widely ridiculed for being chokers, so I think if we can bring in a quality tall forward (Jack Lukosius) and a quality small forward (Jack Martin?) it'll go a long way to rectifying our issue of converting inside 50s into scores.

Another issue we have is a sub par coaching panel apart from Hinkley and Carr. We saw the difference a coaching panel can make when Richmond kept Hardwick in 2016 (despite everyone wanting him sacked, sound familiar?) and brought in a bunch of new assistant coaches. Richmond went from 13th in 2016 to premiers in 2017. I believe Geelong did similar in 2021 as well by bringing in new assistant coaches for Chris Scott, and they went from being finals fodder in 2021 to premiers in 2022 which included dominant displays of winning their preliminary final and grand final by a combined 25 goals.

We need to get new assistant coaches to help Hinkley and bring fresh ideas into the coaching box. Clear out the likes of Cornes, Goldsack, Hartlett and Lobbe but make sure we keep Carr. With a reinvigorated coaching panel and a couple of new recruits to boost our forward line, it'll give us every opportunity to take the next step from preliminary finalists to grand finalists and have a real crack at the premiership.
When you put it like that, I'm kicking myself that I didn't see the impeccable logic of this before. I've totally changed my mind and want to keep him for a few more years as I sense we're on the cusp of greatness under his expert tutelage. I regret my 100s of posts in the various Sack Hinkley threads which have brought no honour to me, and can only hope that the multitudes of other posters in this thread take the time to read your well-reasoned arguments and take a long, hard look at themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is every chance we go backwards under a new coach, look at Adelaide they sacked Pyke two years after he took them to a grand final and Nicks hasn't even taken them into the top 8 despite being their coach for half a decade now. Unlike the Crows we can't afford to spend a lengthy amount of time in the lower rungs of the ladder. I remember when we missed finals for five years straight from 2008-2012 and how bad our crowds and finances became as a result.
Iā€™d rather go backwards with a new coach with the ability to grow into the role and sculpt a new playing style with this team than continue to watch the absolute dross that is our forward line and continual failure in finals. This is the thing, we WONT mind a flag under Ken. We MIGHT under another coach. I know what I would choose. I want to enjoy the footy again. Itā€™s so stale under Ken now.

Backwards??? Wut

If ya gonna come here and troll at least try and be amusing.

I will not allow myself to build up any hope. I will not allow myself to build up any hope. I will not allow myself to build up any hope. I will not allow myself to build up any hope. šŸ˜ŸšŸ„¹šŸ˜±šŸ¤¬

freddy krueger horror GIF by absurdnoise

Ken will be thereā€¦

letā€™s not pretend Hinkley hasnā€™t been around for four more seasons than Fagan. Thereā€™s literally nothing in your post that counters that. Persist with Ken like Brisbane did with Fagan? Heā€™s four years overdue for a flag by that metric, and when Ken was this far into his career it was 2020, a season that was preceded by one finals loss in five years. **** off Jordan.

Youā€™re embarrassing yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crows had massive underlying issues still unaddressed.

Hinkley took us top 4 it must be the assistants

1727612286797.png

Last edited:
my god, how hard is it to understand that going backwards is not even a big deal because we are going ****ing nowhere right now. It's not even a sure bet we get worse or better, but I sure as hell would love us to be trying something different after 12 ****ing years.

We have been losing the same way for that 12 years, we've been falling down at the same stage for those 12 years. Nothing ever changes. Please for the love of god break the cycle for better or worse. Prove to us you are at least ****ing trying to win shit, it's not too much to ask.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back