Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

"We look at the data"

~ Koch

Worst 4 game sequence in finals history
View attachment 2103748

When Koch says "we looked at the data" what he means is "Ken told me he wanted to coach on and the thought of having a hard conversation with him made my tummy hurt"

I'd have nothing against Choco in a development role he's a great skills coach, the narrative that he's been this hero at every place he's been since we sacked him is a myth though he was passed over at GWS, sacked by Richmond before they won the flags etc. so he's really only been involved with success at Melbourne and they've recently gone to hell again.

Primus rebuilt the list. The next coach will be the one that actually saves the club. What the **** has Hinkley done?

Nothing. Pissed away a decade and the careers of a couple of club greats.

I'm now 100% convinced that Matty Primus is a better coach. Ken looked good when we had a fitness advantage and even then had no plan B. He's looked absolute dogshit since. Terrible gameplan and absolutely shellshocks his charges to the point where we shit the bed in every big game.

We would have lost the showdown if the Crows didn't lose their heads when Houston KO'd Rankine.

Even that sack licker Whateley is resigned to Ken getting the arse now.

There wasn’t anything worthwhile here other than the usual weasel words “itz da players” from Gerard trying to deflect any accountability from dear old Kenny

Last edited:
Bang on. You can win a game on emotion, but we don't, we lose every game where a club great has died or emotion is otherwise involved.
You can't win a flag on emotion. Every sports movie is wrong. You have to be better drilled and believe in your plan.

We are Port Adelaide.
We are Marshall.

Duncanson s idea. Fairytale fluff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightest attack on Hinkley and who comes out to give Hinks a hug whilst pot shotting members ...

Dixon ... player traded in from former club
Boak ... nicey nice guy
Butters ... needs another father figure
Kane ... thanks for the 300
Rucci ... journo hoare
Thurstons ... wtf

... and Cassisi ... a football committee member ... should keep mouth shut

If/when the board finally moves on Ken, do we know what happens next?

I'm still not sure how to read the buzz around Carr. With no inside information, it's difficult to know if he withdrew from the Richmond selection process because:
  • we offered him a handshake deal to take over from Hinkley;
  • the Tigers decided he was a fair way down their list of preferred candidates and that news somehow found its way to him;
  • having relocated from Perth to Adelaide only the year prior, he made a very reasonable family decision to not relocate again to Melbourne;
  • some combination of these, or something else?
The first option - the idea of a succession plan - worries me. I like Carr. I think he has a good track record, and I like very much the idea that he would seek to restore the club's true culture. But, as much as I like Carr, I dislike more the strategic failures and football decisions made by people and committees at our club. I have no faith that the football committee and the board - after getting so many big decisions wrong for such a long time - can sack Hinkley and then magically develop the ability to make every correct decision thereafter.

I think there needs to be a proper review and selection/recruitment process, and I suspect the success of that process relies on the current administration's involvement being as limited as possible.

Carr had the Richmond job if he wanted it. I was also told that West Coast had him extremely high on their shortlist, if not #1 at some point during their process after sacking Adam Simpson. He pulled out of the Richmond race and never put himself forward to West Coast.

I have my own personal opinions as to what's happened and why Carr has stayed at Port. At the same time, the Carr narrative is an interesting one because there are a few versions of events as to what has happened, and each version differs depending on who you talk to within the Club. So I can keep a perfectly straight face and say I'm not sure why he's stayed at Port when he could have got a senior job elsewhere.

Expecting the Club to get every decision right once Ken is gone is wishful thinking - but no Club gets every move right. But in getting rid of Ken the Club is now giving itself an opportunity to win a premiership, because as it stands, they won't win one under Ken no matter what other decisions they make.

Anyone who was involved in the 2023 extension should be fired. There really should be no question about that. The most obvious terrible decision in the club's history.

I agree it was a terrible decision - but the worst decision was made in 2017 extending him for 2 further years on top of the 1 year he had remaining, with a further year added to the deal if he made the finals just a single time in those upcoming 3 seasons. That was the moment the Club became beholden to Ken and it became Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide.

I agree it was a terrible decision - but the worst decision was made in 2017 extending him for 2 further years on top of the 1 year he had remaining, with a further year added to the deal if he made the finals just a single time in those upcoming 3 seasons. That was the moment the Club became beholden to Ken and it became Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide.
When he asked if he could be released from his contract, the answer should have been a resounding yes. The fact that he'd made moves to leave should've resulted in a sacking immediately anyway.

When he asked if he could be released from his contract, the answer should have been a resounding yes. The fact that he'd made moves to leave should've resulted in a sacking immediately anyway.

In hindsight, absolutely.

I understand why they kept him. My preference at the time was to keep him because I thought they were on the right track, but not on the ridiculous contract terms they agreed upon.

In hindsight, absolutely.

I understand why they kept him. My preference at the time was to keep him because I thought they were on the right track, but not on the ridiculous contract terms they agreed upon.
Does the club have any opinions on Kanes campaign against the membership?

Does the club have any opinions on Kanes campaign against the membership?

I'm sure they do (everyone's got an opinion about everything). But I don't know what said opinion is.

Chewy - With huge companies you typically can't just transfer to a new job internally, the company instead 'opens the position for applications' but will only interview + accept the transferee (done for legal / policy reasons). Are we going to see something similar with Carr or will they just straight-up declare him?

They're both shit decisions. At least you could say the 2017 decision had the tiniest reasoning behind it. It was a terrible decision, felt terrible at the time, and is even worse with hindsight, but if the board truly thought Ken was the man for the job and thought that Gold Coast were going to snap him away you can see how they could feel their hands were tied. I just can't even put the tiniest bit of devils advocate logic onto last year's choice to not at least wait until the finals when all our problems have been the finals. It's just a deplorable decision.

At the end of the day I hate both calls though. I hope we can finally get one right

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back