Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Ken even go to the MCG last night to scope his opposition? I’d be surprised if he did.
He wouldn't even know who we are playing until someone tells him when he rocks up on Monday

Carr had the Richmond job if he wanted it. I was also told that West Coast had him extremely high on their shortlist, if not #1 at some point during their process after sacking Adam Simpson. He pulled out of the Richmond race and never put himself forward to West Coast.

I have my own personal opinions as to what's happened and why Carr has stayed at Port. At the same time, the Carr narrative is an interesting one because there are a few versions of events as to what has happened, and each version differs depending on who you talk to within the Club. So I can keep a perfectly straight face and say I'm not sure why he's stayed at Port when he could have got a senior job elsewhere.

Expecting the Club to get every decision right once Ken is gone is wishful thinking - but no Club gets every move right. But in getting rid of Ken the Club is now giving itself an opportunity to win a premiership, because as it stands, they won't win one under Ken no matter what other decisions they make.

I agree it was a terrible decision - but the worst decision was made in 2017 extending him for 2 further years on top of the 1 year he had remaining, with a further year added to the deal if he made the finals just a single time in those upcoming 3 seasons. That was the moment the Club became beholden to Ken and it became Ken Hinkley's Port Adelaide.

I wonder if there's anybody of significance at the club who is steadfast on honouring Ken's contract regardless. Tredrea refers to Ken being contracted for 2025 (although says it without zest) but Tim convincingly has stated that he believes in clubs honouring contracts (although I can imagine him putting on his jokers hat and adding "except this one").

I have a theory about Ken which I'll hopefully get confirmed one day if anyone ever writes a book.

A) When the team is doing well and winning games Ken's anxiety levels are fine and everybody loves him and just goes about their business, and we do well.

B) When there is an important game and Ken is feeling the anxiety, I think he is probably incapable of preventing that anxiety from being passed on to the players via his interactions with them. That anxiety rubs off and we get fumbly and make more mistakes, etc etc. We all know what this looks like.

C) On a couple of rare occasions though, that anxiety level is so high that rather than the players wear the anxiety, they turn that to anger and play for him i.e. the untenable leading to 13 wins in a row, the booing leading to 8 out of 9 wins.

C) is clearly unsustainable and reverts back to A) or B) at some point depending on who Port are playing.

What can be done about B)?
Who knows.
Obviously the club has struggled to manage that.

So what will we see against Hawthorn this weekend.
It cannot be A), it will either be B) or C).

Either the players will ignore the heat and play with no fear (like after the fight during the Showdown), or we will get another B) performance, where everyone goes to water. It's going to be very interesting to see how the players and coaches respond to the Geelong game, as a B) or a C).

I think the only way he saves his job at Port now is to beat Hawthorn, beat Sydney/Giants/Bris/Carlton and then beat Geelong in the grand final, forever washing away 2007.

The alternative is to pack the van and move on.
You are on the money. I went to a local Hills league final today and I was chatting to a guy who I have known since I was a kid. He was a support staffer for many years and to the extent he went to the 2004 reunion recently. Amongst other things, he told me that under Ken’s tenure that things got extremely tense around final time which was noticed by all support staff. I have also long held the theory that Ken’s anxiety permeates into the players minds so much so that they play scared in big games. He also told me some other things which did not put Ken in a good light. Chocco on the other hand totally different. Let’s just say a very enlightening afternoon. No doubt our finals/milestone game failures are very much on Ken.

I want to believe. Dammit I thought that was Cigarette-Smoking man for a minute, but it's Meeks from Trading Places innit?
Clarence Beeks. L.A. Deputy Chief of Police Dwayne T. Robinson. Shermer High Vice Principal Richard Vernon.

Paul Gleason played the arrogant full-of-himself dickhead better than anyone. He would've been perfectly cast as Ken in any movie about this consummate shitshow. Might've made the campaigner a bit too likeable, but...

Screen Shot 2024-09-07 at 5.55.13 pm.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting the Club to get every decision right once Ken is gone is wishful thinking - but no Club gets every move right. But in getting rid of Ken the Club is now giving itself an opportunity to win a premiership, because as it stands, they won't win one under Ken no matter what other decisions they make.

Of course. I don't expect them to get everything right. I do fear that we get it right by sacking Hinkley and then immediately resume getting things wrong. Given our track record, I don't think that fear's entirely unfounded. Having Tredrea on the football committee is a huge help, but imagine if he only manages to graduate from dissenting board member to dissenting football committee member.

Moreover, if Carr's the best candidate, a good process should reach that conclusion. If he's not, a succession plan sounds good only for Koch's ego.

I wonder if there's anybody of significance at the club who is steadfast on honouring Ken's contract regardless. Tredrea refers to Ken being contracted for 2025 (although says it without zest) but Tim convincingly has stated that he believes in clubs honouring contracts (although I can imagine him putting on his jokers hat and adding "except this one").

With all due respect, what is Tredrea supposed to say? If he were to say anything other than words to that affect, it would be another media shit storm led by the three stooges of Kane, Caro and Gerard.

Of course. I don't expect them to get everything right. I do fear that we get it right by sacking Hinkley and then immediately resume getting things wrong. Given our track record, I don't think that fear's entirely unfounded. Having Tredrea on the football committee is a huge help, but imagine if he only manages to graduate from dissenting board member to dissenting football committee member.

Moreover, if Carr's the best candidate, a good process should reach that conclusion. If he's not, a succession plan sounds good only for Koch's ego.

I think they've actually done a lot right but have been hampered and hindered by Ken's presence where he blocks out the light in the building like a solar eclipse.

Getting rid of Ken will be removing a massive dead weight in the footy department. Will be impossible not to see a mental lift in its aftermath.

With all due respect, what is Tredrea supposed to say? If he were to say anything other than words to that affect, it would be another media shit storm led by the three stooges of Kane, Caro and Gerard.

I think they've actually done a lot right but have been hampered and hindered by Ken's presence where he blocks out the light in the building like a solar eclipse.

Getting rid of Ken will be removing a massive dead weight in the footy department. Will be impossible not to see a mental lift in its aftermath.
Could not agree more. Also will remove a fair chunk of nepotism.

Clarence Beeks. L.A. Deputy Chief of Police Dwayne T. Robinson. Shermer High Vice Principal Richard Vernon.

Paul Gleason played the arrogant full-of-himself dickhead better than anyone. He would've been perfectly cast as Ken in any movie about this consummate shitshow. Might've made the campaigner a bit too likeable, but...

View attachment 2104016

The arrogance levels are on point. But not too much hair, not enough chins.

Last edited:

View attachment 2104016

That guy was so good. Don't mess with the bull young man, you'll get the horns.

No I didn't mean it from that angle,. Nothing to do with Tim or Tredrea . I shouldn't have mixed that comment in with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back