Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the ‘aints sacked Stan Alves 12 months after a grand final appearance, after a season in which they played finals again.

And Grant Thomas off two prelims and another final series.
Right now they would take anything.
58 years and nothing to show.
Football has changed, winning premiership’s has been overtaken by the Game Day Experience.
Carlton has over 100,000 members and won there last Premiership when Windows 95 came out.
It’s 2024,success is measured in Dollars no Silverware.

It's hard to know what someone will be like until they have full control, I must admit though I didn't like the reports last year that he personally felt he wasn't ready, I mean jeezus you've had two stints as an assistant at Port, a stint at Freo & coached a SANFL club in between what more do you fukcin' need.

Hard to know if that’s even true though. He could’ve just said it to keep the peace and the pressure off old mate.

Even the ‘aints sacked Stan Alves 12 months after a grand final appearance, after a season in which they played finals again.

And Grant Thomas off two prelims and another final series.

Sacked Ken Sheldon the year after he got them into back-to-back finals series, when he served up a 10-10 record amidst high expectations in 1993.

Sacked Wonderboy Tim Watson when it was obvious he wasn’t suited to the job.

Sacked Malcolm Blight when they decided he was just taking the coin.

Sacked Brett Ratten not long after extending him once Ross Lyon signalled his intention to return to coaching, too.

For all their failures they’re probably the most ruthless club in the league when it comes to their coaches box.

Sacked Ken Sheldon the year after he got them into back-to-back finals series, when he served up a 10-10 record amidst high expectations in 1993.

Sacked Brett Ratten not long after extending him once Ross Lyon signalled his intention to return to coaching, too.

For all their failures they’re probably the most ruthless club in the league when it comes to their coaches box.

Saints remind me of the Black & White tv version of Fremantle.
Have had some great players in there time but are destined to fail for eternity.

The only time Koch has ever been ruthless was when his sister Ruth moved overseas.......

This is a legitimate concern shared by people at the Club.

Wait.. wait.. the legitimate what? concern of wait for it... of Ken telling the club where to stick its job and the club fearful of Ken being poached by West Coast?

Bloody heck, the day Ken leaves, there will be conga lines from Alberton to the Port Pire Chimney in happiness.

What is there to be scared of unless I’m reading this all wrong? IMG_0727.JPG

"... that Hinkley is a damned good coach who embodies everything that is Port Adelaide."
Facepalm Smh GIF

This is a legitimate concern shared by people at the Club.

This has been the problem the whole time. Koch is a huge chance of going rogue and if he does, he will do what he perceives as the easy, feelgood thing. It's now "easy" to just let Ken coach the last year of his contract. It "feels good" to parry away an attempt to poach your head coach.

He survived 2023, he can survive 2024 unless we are ruthless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$20000 is an obscene fine. Guarantee that similar incidents won't get the same penalty. Once again, we get exorbitantly punished so the AFL can say they're taking a stand without doing anything to the clubs they care about.
Yep.

A reminder. AFL fine handed to Chris Scott for this? $0.

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 3.57.26 AM 2.png

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 4.04.05 AM.png

The AFL habit of singling out Port for record penalties/fines continues.

To be fair, whatever answer he provided was going to be controversial - whether it was “yes” or “we’ll reassess at the end of the season”.

There was no need to answer:

Who’s thinking about that with such an important game ahead of us? I’m certainly not.

Done.

Just talking to a non-Port mate and tried to explain that finishing top four in 4 out of 5 seasons and (potentially) not having a single GF appearance to show for it can only be consider a massive failure.

He replies with “at a club like, say, the Kangaroos, that would be considered success”.

Ummm, no it wouldn’t bro. Even the Kangaroos wouldn’t tolerate that shit. The deepest, darkest days of Fitzroy wouldn’t have even put up with it. There isn’t a club in the land who’s supporters wouldn’t be incensed in the same situation.
Just ask if the Kangaroos would have been happy then to go back to the 1995-2000 period and make two prelims rather than win two flags.

He replies with “at a club like, say, the Kangaroos, that would be considered success”.

So, Port is on the same level as North. Is that it?

That is what I would have replied to him.

It’s 2024,success is measured in Dollars no Silverware.

That’s a problem for other clubs. If they want to do that and be run by no-hopers, be my guests.

Port should be different. Otherwise, we are no longer Port.

Our player depth is terrible, it's going to get a lot worse.

Nah, our premiership window has the chance to be open for quite a while.

We are a very good team when we want to be and are still improving.

We still have fat to cut but you just don't know whether that will happen.

We could improve some magnets as well. In this off season, with Houston, Soldo and a few others leaving, we might be able to completely readjust our team and strengthen the longevity of the premiership window.

If we had a good coach, I would be talking dynasty.

With Ken, we might nab one here or there.

I would love to win the GF even if Hinkley is coach but losing it and knowing he will be here next year with a closing premiership window will finish me.

Our player depth is terrible, it's going to get a lot worse.
Depth isn't as bad as some others in the top 8 even top 4. Have a look who's been out or injured all year and we've still managed to finish 2nd..

Whoknows what a win like last Friday has done to our bottom 5-6 players as well , they were almost our best.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back