Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate they were never going to sack Ken in 2019 considering their debt levels in conjunction with his contract not ending until end of 2020 (with a trigger for 21).

Then, they should have all RESIGNED in shame for having approved that stupid contract.

No one did. (I just checked it. KT only left after 2020.)

They have no shame.

Last edited:
If we won a flag under Ken, a succession plan might actually be more justifiable. The theoretical advantage of a succession plan is you have a sort of "understudy" coach that is operating in a successful system under a successful coach, learning, and making a smooth transition. If you didn't have success the why do you even want a smooth transition? Our "succession plan" is operating more like a contingency plan. It seems as though if Ken was successful, we'd just reappoint him.

View attachment 2113956

This happened at the end of a 5-year span that began as flag favourites and culminated with just 1 losing Elimination Final to show for it.

Not only did he survive, but we were berated by the media as delusional morons for wanting his head to roll.

He could leave a steamer in Koch’s centre console after losing by triple figures and he’s 50/50 to cop an extension, while Gerard Whateley and Kane Cornes would eviscerate us for not grabbing a spoon and tucking in.

We were 8th before the game. North was 14th.

We were playing for a Finals spot.

Chewy316 you said in a previous post, the football committee were already unhappy with Ken's performance prior to the Brisbane game, particularly the GWS game. Do you know of any changes that happened post that game? Has Josh had any more input or responsibilities from that time onwards?

Chewy316 you said in a previous post, the football committee were already unhappy with Ken's performance prior to the Brisbane game, particularly the GWS game. Do you know of any changes that happened post that game? Has Josh had any more input or responsibilities from that time onwards?

This idea that Carr is pulling all the strings from the box is fanciful. At the same time, Ken doesn't do a whole lot on the bench either.

They weren't happy because that was the game after the bye, the coaches and footy department in general were saying that things were going to look considerably different after the bye and that the team would be taking the game on more, but that game against GWS was as defensive as you could have possibly imagined.

This idea that Carr is pulling all the strings from the box is fanciful. At the same time, Ken doesn't do a whole lot on the bench either.

They weren't happy because that was the game after the bye, the coaches and footy department in general were saying that things were going to look considerably different after the bye and that the team would be taking the game on more, but that game against GWS was as defensive as you could have possibly imagined.
Fair enough. I just don't hear any tactical nous or footy smarts from him. He speaks gibberish.

Fair enough. I just don't hear any tactical nous or footy smarts from him. He speaks gibberish.

People who I've spoken to about Hinkley whose footy opinions I value say he reads the game well - but as all of us know, he is unable to adapt mid-game.

The whole "Port don't have a plan B" has been a thing going back to early 2016.

Since when has giving Ken everyone's full support helped?

And since when has putting the heat on him hindered?

All evidence would suggest that the exact opposite is true.

Hoping some smart arse Crowie puts up a sack Hinkley sticker on Port Rd this week.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
pick your battles and this week isn't the time

Whatever is said in this thread will. i'm pretty sure, have zero impact on Friday's result.

This is a "Sack Hinkley" thread. It is what people will talk about here.
True but what is the point when it 100% is not going to happen, put your energies elsewhere for now. Not saying your sentiments don't have merit, just not really much point right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People who I've spoken to about Hinkley whose footy opinions I value say he reads the game well - but as all of us know, he is unable to adapt mid-game.

Hinkley "reads the game well" should be understood in the same sense as "he correctly identifies the letters and the sounds they make".

The fact that "he is unable to adapt mid-game" shows that he doesn't understand the meaning of that which he reads.

Perfect skilled to be a gameday commentator, but not a senior coach.

The whole "Port don't have a plan B" has been a thing going back to early 2016.
Hinkley reads the game well but is unable to adapt mid-game means your people are full of $h!t.

Hinkley reads the game well but is unable to adapt mid-game means your people are full of $h!t.

Clearly you lack the comprehension to discern the difference between seeing something and acting on something.

Clearly you lack the comprehension to discern the difference between seeing something and acting on something.

He doesn't make changes between games or even seasons either though. So when does he apply this ability to read the game?

If he was reading the game well, we wouldn't have shown so little interest in scoring with our strategy over the past decade, a philosophy which has cost us time and time again and may well cost us another time over the next fortnight. He's had 10 years to sort out tactical issues entering the forward 50 and then going into a final against Geelong picks a forwardline that could never succeed under his own gameplan.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree that he reads the game well at all. Or he's so set in his ways that his ability to read the game doesn't matter.

Discussion like this from senior officials at the club honestly just sounds like the usual suspects are softening themselves and each other up to allow yet another season of Ken Hinkley football.

He doesn't make changes between games or even seasons either though. So when does he apply this ability to read the game?

Swinging Jack Hombsch (less effective than Jake Neade), Jackson Trengove (tagging Rance in a game we lost) and Dougal Howard (hated it, had him wanting out) forward is the only dynamic lever I can readily think of.

Unless we’re counting that year he wasted a prime Boak on a half-forward flank.

Port's record against teams in the top 8 this year is 6-4. For context, Sydney's is 7-3, Brisbane's is 5-5 and Geelong's is 6-5. So based on this season at least I can't agree with the idea that Port capitulate against the top teams relative to their competitors. In previous years (especially around 2017) they absolutely could not beat teams in the top 8, but that imo hasn't been a problem for quite some years.

I would also challenge you to take the best 10 players out of any team and see how the remainder of the team performs against good sides. You're drawing some pretty long bows there which are purely subjective.

Hawthorn had the #1 offence and #1 defence since round 9 of this season. Won 15 of their past 19 games heading into last Friday night by an average of 45 points. They are a really good team and one can't simply overlook them and be dismissive of the win.

If Port win on Friday night, Ken deserves a lot of credit. Can't say that getting a team to a grand final is purely because of sound list management.
If he's not able to take responsibility when we lose, he doesnt get to take credit when we win.

He didnt kick it for them against the Hawks.

Swinging Jack Hombsch (less effective than Jake Neade), Jackson Trengove (tagging Rance in a game we lost) and Dougal Howard (hated it, had him wanting out) forward is the only dynamic lever I can readily think of.

Unless we’re counting that year he wasted a prime Boak on a half-forward flank.

Did you miss the masterstroke to send DBJ back against geebong to accommodate the Mac and cheese/Evans double threat?

Prelim Ken is $3.25 to get his first prelim win..and that seems unders. But even a broken clock is right twice a day so maybe we can win despite Ken making all the wrong calls.

M8 kerny has already overachieved by getting an absolute pack of spuds into second place, and managing to scrape home in a semi final! What do youse expect with a list that's gotta 15 players on it that shouldn't even be at AFL level? Kerny is like the rain man of coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back