Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Its about time the club took some pride back in who we are, where we've come from and what we've achieved throughout our history.

We seem absolutely beholden to Ken, and seem to genuinely fear him moving on and us falling back into 2011/12.

Ken was partially responsible for our resurgence, think that's undeniable, but the one club merger was a big part, the move to Adelaide oval a big part, a better playing list a big part.

Sure things were bad in 11/12, but we were in the middle of a rebuild after competing for approx a decade and should've come away with arguably two flags. The SANFL licence and dual club thing was squeezing us absolutely bone dry, Footy Park was a shithole that had zero attraction.

Even with all that I still think our crowds were no worse than say North Melb/Melb or even Richmonds now.

It's just not gonna happen, and this narrative in the media that Ken saved and rebuilt the club brick by brick, and without him there will be this huge player exodus and the joint may fall apart is complete bull.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't tell me all players dig Ken... I mean he might be a good bloke and all but they aren't daft. Some would want him out i'm sure.

You can't tell me all players dig Ken... I mean he might be a good bloke and all but they aren't daft. Some would want him out i'm sure.

There’d be a fair bit of Stockholm Syndrome involved amongst the ones who earnestly believe Hinkley is the best thing for them and the club, too.

Lifting that veil of ignorance could be the best thing for them, they just don’t know it.

People getting their knickers in a twist over Ken being a "father-figure" to the players is IMO a symptom of this board, and the anger & disdain that many have for Hinkley & the club's administration.

Nah.

Even if Hinkley wasn't a fundamentally deficient football coach, it would be a weird thing for the players to say, and it's made even weirder by just how frequently and enthusiastically they line up to publicly declare their love for Daddy Donuts.

Worse is the players who can't separate a defence of (or profession of deep and abiding love for) Hinkley from an attack on their members and supporters.

There's no need for Dixon to constantly tell us "your [sic] stupid", except to make himself feel better.

There's no need (and no factual basis) for Rozee to declare that "[disgruntled fans] don't know much about us". He's been captain for less than a year - some of the people he's dismissing so flippantly have supported the club (and understood its true culture and legacy) for 2-3x as long as he's been alive. We know exactly what this group is about under Hinkley.

It's completely ridiculous.

It's Ken and his fan group circling the wagons again as someone else put it.

I'd be surprised if one single player left, but if they did, good bye and good riddance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone posted an article from after the 2003 failed finals series and it was very critical of Williams' possession gameplan and how it stacks up in finals. Why is there nothing similar about our last 5 finals series?

Hinkley's gameplan matched with our list caught the comp off guard in 13/14 and he's not been able to manufacture a competitive advantage since. If all of our wins need to be generated by grinding harder than the opposition, it's no wonder we fail in finals.

Even Kane noted that we just never get easy goals. Everything is so much work to generate scores.

Odds with the bookies
Hawthorn $1.60
Port $2.35

Yes they were underdogs.

The only time in the entire history of the national competition that a home semi finalist was underdog against a visiting opponent from interstate.

What a marvellous reflection on Ken Hinkley.

The embarrassment continues

‘I just can’t believe it… I think he has every reason to hold his head up really high.’ Premier Peter Malinauskas has backed under-fire Power coach Ken Hinkley as the right man for the job crediting his success and longevity

View attachment IEZOSJbSJGnCFL46.mp4

The players loved Russell Ebert too when he was coach and in a much more fundamental way as he was a club legend and some had played alongside him late in his career.

Nobody left when he was replaced as coach by John Cahill, and they played in a premiership in Jack's first year back to confirm it was the right decision.

‘I just can’t believe it… I think he has every reason to hold his head up really high.’ Premier Peter Malinauskas has backed under-fire Power coach Ken Hinkley as the right man for the job crediting his success and longevity

View attachment 2118318

Stick to fixing the ramping crisis Peter Popular.

The only time in the entire history of the national competition that a home semi finalist was underdog against a visiting opponent from interstate.

What a marvellous reflection on Ken Hinkley.
2017 semi final odds
Geelong $3.20
Sydney $1.36

I understand that many Port fans want to see the back of Ken but what level of player exodus would you be willing to accept?
Putting his failings aside for a moment he is obviously adored by the players.

As an example would it be worth being Ken free if you lost Butters and JHF?

No exaggeration, I would give away Butters for free if it guarantees removing Ken

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2118318

lol who the f*k gives two shits what Malinauskas thinks? Why is he even being asked? This state sometimes......*shakes head

What are they saying amongst themselves right now. How many anyone in charge of a decision possibly thinking that the way forward is the status quo.

The line of thought that there would be an exodus if Hinkley is removed as coach is just so flawed. When has that ever happened?

If we don’t do well in the trade period, I can see Hinkley walking. He cannot take this current list any further. His highest priority will be Luko given Dixon & most probably Marshall won’t play in [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]. He’d be panicking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“Scared money don’t make money”.

Why would players leave because Ken gets sacked? He won’t get a coaching job elsewhere, so where are they going to?
No so much that they would chase after him but more be open to entertaining offers from other clubs
There should be no fear in finishing 10th/having a bad season if that result leads to a change in game plan, staff or both.
Fair enough but what if it meant an extended period of no man's land/bottom four finishes?
No exaggeration, I would give away Butters for free if it guarantees removing Ken
Butters is arguably the best player in the comp- it's exactly this type of loss the club might be fearing, take the top couple of players from any team and watch them plummet down the ladder.
Obviously you aren't losing him for free but even a top draft pick will take years to be anything close to a replacement.

At least with Ken your list stays intact.
Maybe a succession plan over a few years is the answer

If we don’t do well in the trade period, I can see Hinkley walking. He cannot take this current list any further. His highest priority will be Luko given Dixon & most probably Marshall won’t play in [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]. He’d be panicking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't think he's panicking at all. He's contracted, he knows that whatever expectations there are on him next year will dissolve if they're not met, and a few decent results will get him an extension. He also enjoys an inconceivable amount of air cover from the club and the media.

He's probably not long away from retiring, we're just going to have to deal with it until then.

No so much that they would chase after him but more be open to entertaining offers from other clubs

Fair enough but what if it meant an extended period of no man's land/bottom four finishes?

Butters is arguably the best player in the comp- it's exactly this type of loss the club might be fearing, take the top couple of players from any team and watch them plummet down the ladder.
Obviously you aren't losing him for free but even a top draft pick will take years to be anything close to a replacement.

Imagine if Clarkson and therefore Hawthorn in that period has zero premierships and he is still coach with Mitchell sitting in the corner.

That's what Hinkley is for Port today.

At what point does simply making up the numbers not become acceptable anymore? As a Hawthorn supporter would you be happy if Mitchell does not develop the results of the team any further than what we saw this year? How long would you accept being a finals also ran before you want change?

In the end if a change of coach sends us down the ladder, then so be it. It's a risk you take. But as we are not a premiership threat with the status quo, then it's not really much of a bother for me

And just on this point, we are more likely to see players look elsewhere if in 2-3-4 years time we still have Hinkley and still haven't made a GF. Players will look to leave for success.

In the end every coach has an end point. Hinkley is nearly 60, he hasn't made a GF, he's been coaching for 12 years, our playing group need to get used to the fact he isn't going around much longer regardless of whether he gets sacked this off season or retires at the end of next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back