Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard tonite it's more likely now he will be sacked than not, although I will believe it when I see it. It might be the case though with his friends and premier Pete going in to bat for him. Ken knows he is in strife and is trying to gather support in one last ditch effort to survive and make it harder for the club to sack him

You have most definitely heard correctly :cool:

Hey, sorry for the intrusion. Let's give the elephant in the room some peanuts - my team sucks. They are hopeless, and the only consistency about them is they always make the wrong decision at every level. So don't shout me down as having a crack at your team who consistently perform at a level I would only dream of. Shit, three weeks with one win, one thrashing, and one badly outclassed loss would be worthy of a lap of honour at Arden St.

But I'm interested in leadership and how organisations manage it, and I find Port Adelaide interesting. You seem caught between the perceived saviour of tarps at Football Park and 20-goal thrashings, and the guy who's ace at finishing H&A season in the top four without winning anything. The guy who's brilliant at building connections with his playing group without ever leading them to greatness. The guy who's a fantastic media performer, without ever connecting to the emotions of the supporter base.

Bottom line, I think your club is scared. Scared to make a genuinely tough decision. Playing and losing 'scary' finals is better than getting <20k crowds to meaningless games or losing multiple 60+ point games in a season. A guaranteed top 6 finish is better than a possible bottom 6 one. Ken is a willing prisoner to the 2011-12 seasons as he was the solutions to them. The Port board seem afraid to make a call that may revisit those days, but may open the door to better days.

Literally no coach has ever gone 12 consecutive seasons with as little success as Hinkley. Not saying that to be provocative, it's just a fact. Hafey, Kennedy, Barassi, Parkin, Blight and Pagan never had a 12 year stretch at the same club. Jeans didn't at Hawthorn but did at St.Kilda where he won a premiership. Malthouse didn't at West Coast, but got exactly 12 at Collingwood with a premiership. Hardwick had 14 years at Richmond but with 3 flags. A thirteenth season for Hinkley would be unprecedented.

Maybe the mature conversation is to allow Ken to explore the Eagles. Thank you, let's shake hands, you led us out of some dark days but we're happy those days are well gone. You can be better with a new challenge, but we back ourselves to be better with a new horizon. But maybe the problem is Ken doesn't want that and is happy being 5th every year. I suppose you guys have a tough decision.

OK. That's me for now. You don't have to ask me what you know is true. I'll retreat to my Jack Darling Fan Club and hope to maybe win 4 games next year.

Is it too early for...?
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Chewy, with what Tom Morris is reporting, do you think it might be a case of Ken saving face by resigning rather than being sacked?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's not resigning if it costs him his payout. If he goes, it will be a "mutual decision".

Chewy, with what Tom Morris is reporting, do you think it might be a case of Ken saving face by resigning rather than being sacked?

Whatever gathers the best financial return. He will have his cabal run a campaign of misinformation, disinformation and malinfornation to minimise the reputational damage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not resigning if it costs him his payout. If he goes, it will be a "mutual decision".

No doubt but there will be the narrative to make him look like the good bloke, don’t really care what way it happens - just needs to happen.

Hey, sorry for the intrusion. Let's give the elephant in the room some peanuts - my team sucks. They are hopeless, and the only consistency about them is they always make the wrong decision at every level. So don't shout me down as having a crack at your team who consistently perform at a level I would only dream of. Shit, three weeks with one win, one thrashing, and one badly outclassed loss would be worthy of a lap of honour at Arden St.

But I'm interested in leadership and how organisations manage it, and I find Port Adelaide interesting. You seem caught between the perceived saviour of tarps at Football Park and 20-goal thrashings, and the guy who's ace at finishing H&A season in the top four without winning anything. The guy who's brilliant at building connections with his playing group without ever leading them to greatness. The guy who's a fantastic media performer, without ever connecting to the emotions of the supporter base.

Bottom line, I think your club is scared. Scared to make a genuinely tough decision. Playing and losing 'scary' finals is better than getting <20k crowds to meaningless games or losing multiple 60+ point games in a season. A guaranteed top 6 finish is better than a possible bottom 6 one. Ken is a willing prisoner to the 2011-12 seasons as he was the solutions to them. The Port board seem afraid to make a call that may revisit those days, but may open the door to better days.

Literally no coach has ever gone 12 consecutive seasons with as little success as Hinkley. Not saying that to be provocative, it's just a fact. Hafey, Kennedy, Barassi, Parkin, Blight and Pagan never had a 12 year stretch at the same club. Jeans didn't at Hawthorn but did at St.Kilda where he won a premiership. Malthouse didn't at West Coast, but got exactly 12 at Collingwood with a premiership. Hardwick had 14 years at Richmond but with 3 flags. A thirteenth season for Hinkley would be unprecedented.

Maybe the mature conversation is to allow Ken to explore the Eagles. Thank you, let's shake hands, you led us out of some dark days but we're happy those days are well gone. You can be better with a new challenge, but we back ourselves to be better with a new horizon. But maybe the problem is Ken doesn't want that and is happy being 5th every year. I suppose you guys have a tough decision.

OK. That's me for now. You don't have to ask me what you know is true. I'll retreat to my Jack Darling Fan Club and hope to maybe win 4 games next year.
This is bang on for what the club thinks I reckon. We are pissweak and a club full of people who view success as "not finishing bottom". But even if we did finish bottom they'd move the goalposts anyway so nobody was viewed as failing. It's a long way from the club of old.

If all of your Intel is true and we're not allowed to announce it this week, then what are the chances the "more likely than not" changes as the noise softens as the media moves on to the grand final. This is what worries me.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="gbear" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Graham Cornes is an old campaigner.

Let’s not be ageist here.
I think we can all agree that Cornes is a campaigner…..as is his son!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is bang on for what the club thinks I reckon. We are pissweak and a club full of people who view success as "not finishing bottom". But even if we did finish bottom they'd move the goalposts anyway so nobody was viewed as failing. It's a lois ng way from the club of old.

Assuming Ken goes (hopefully) surely Kochie and several of his (Hinkley) backers on the board should go as well.

An broom needs to be swept at your club starting with the board/administration level

In an ideal world the Members/Grassroots supporters who bleed for the club and spend thousands to PAFC should have a significant say as to who runs your club.

I was there the night at Mooney Valley Racecourse in 2002 when the Carlton members rose up and voted John Elliott/Wes Lofts and their board of crooks/incompetents out of office

Granted things have not gotten that much better for Carlton since, but it's always been a firm passion of mine that the most important component of any footy club arr the supporters/members and they deserve to have their say as to how their club is operated and who runs it.

Many Victorian club supporters don't understand how the SANFL and AFL handicap both SA clubs as to who runs their club, in recent memory Hawthorn members voted to boot out Kennett and his board, and now they are annoyingly seemingly back in flag contention for a while.

Well that would certainly be one way to avoid getting the sack.

Is it too early for...?
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Definitely too early for that. But it's headed in that direction.

So when can we buy the champas to celebrate, Chewy lad?

I would suggest this saga will be over within the next Portnight, most likely sooner.

Whatever gathers the best financial return. He will have his cabal run a campaign of misinformation, disinformation and malinfornation to minimise the reputational damage.

This is something the Club are very well aware of, which is why the execution of such a decision is complex and requires a well thought out plan of attack.

I am planning on buying a bottle of Moët to celebrate Ken’s sacking.

I will have to seriously consider opening up a bottle of 2008 Krug (wine is a very expensive hobby of mine) but will also be up for a beer down at the Precinct to celebrate with you all.

Oh my god its happening, stay calm people

Also, I wonder at the chances of Ken taking the WCE job / potential Brisbane job

Brisbane job isn't opening. West Coast still an option though I tend to doubt it at this point. Not sure Ken actually has the energy to do such a big rebuild at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back