Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these people realise this isn’t their kids under 10s team? People invest their time and money into the club and absolutely are allowed to criticise and feel disappointed.
I know on one hand “best member engagement in the league” buy more pay more give more, but please don’t give us shit even if we deserve it

**** me dead is this a dream?

Pretty much. We pump easy beat teams because of the talent we have and always lose to better teams because we lack strategy. What does Ken actually do? Our entire game plan is win contested ball and boot it to Dixon and hope someone does something. Only team in finals we can beat is Geelong who crumble in finals worse then us.

Same question could be asked of the assistants. Based on what you're saying, why do we have assistant coaches? People have said they want Schofield in the big chair. Is he not part of the current coaching set up? Does he not contribute to the game plan and strategies.

Ken:
I have a five year plan to transform this very, very young team into a great side.
And I'm just the man to oversee it all.
Give me a five year unbreakable contract, and I will deliver!
After all, it's a tough competition, and days like last night can happen to anyone - just a bad day at the office.

If not, tough poopies. At least we had a crack - and I'll be rich.

Same question could be asked of the assistants. Based on what you're saying, why do we have assistant coaches? People have said they want Schofield in the big chair. Is he not part of the current coaching set up? Does he not contribute to the game plan and strategies.
This is true, you would envisage.

Potentially but I don’t know how much say ken allows them to have. Ken is the very top guy and the one who holds most the responsibility.

He won't walk - that is obvious. But do you see a scenario where he gets sacked? Short of moving him on it is going to be near impossible to promote optimism for season 2022.
The worst thing is that no matter how well we do in the minor round next year I won't be able to enjoy it.

We could win every minor round game by 60 and I would still feel like I'm just getting set up.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The worst thing is that no matter how well we do in the minor round next year I won't be able to enjoy it.

We could win every minor round game by 60 and I would still feel like I'm just getting set up.

My struggle this year. Utterly unsatisfying experience.

Time for Richardson to show that he has what it takes and is his own man rather than a soft "we did a global search and the best candidate was under our noses all along" internal appointment who is too thankful for the job and too indebted to his masters.
Perhaps a tie choke and David Koch you were wrong before sacking Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1234012View attachment 1234014

The club is soft. Back in the day you'd be booed walking in the Port Club by your members after playing absolutely woeful and you had to explain why. Now it's please stop

We have been ingrained to accept mediocrity. Now I know why we held on to Hinkley for so long and why the players love him zero accountability
Our players and Ken Hinkley should be made to wake up 5 in the morning and put in the ice cold sea, not sleeping in their nice cosy beds after that disgraceful showing last night

He won't walk - that is obvious. But do you see a scenario where he gets sacked? Short of moving him on it is going to be near impossible to promote optimism for season 2022.

And beyond. It seems to have been a hallmark of his tenure that just making the finals is a pass mark and hits the KPI's needed to ensure a contract extension.He can keep falling into the finals from here on in and that will be enough. There is no light at the end of this tunnel with David Koch and his AFL appointed board running the show.
Just go to the footy and raise your scarves in the air, Power fans!!! Happy days...

One of my best mates is close with the Rozee family. Connor doesn't have much to do ("not a heap") with his mum, and she is, in my mate's words, "a nutcase."

I wouldnt be taking her word as to how the team and their attitude toward the supporters is.

In a sense she's perfect for the Ken Oath group, a talisman they can use to justify their blind following of the used car salesman because it shows the players feel bad (without actually knowing what the players tell their family, it is just all vibes and confirmation bias).

Seeing her upset at the rest of us, who are demanding better, plays into the siege mentality that group has built for itself. We are the barbarians at the gates, demanding the ruthlessness and success and all that the club used to stand for, who (because they see themselves as on the side of the players and coach) should 'go and support the Cows if you don't like it'. Just because Ken is a good guy in general life doesn't mean he is a good football coach, numbers don't lie but these people appear numerically illiterate ... I guess hanging on to 'positive vibes' is easier for them than facing reality that their chosen one is a loser

And beyond. It seems to have been a hallmark of his tenure that just making the finals is a pass mark and hits the KPI's needed to ensure a contract extension.He can keep falling into the finals from here on in and that will be enough. There is no light at the end of this tunnel with David Koch and his AFL appointed board running the show.
Just go to the footy and raise your scarves in the air, Power fans!!! Happy days...
Depressing but I also think Hinkley will just do enough to keep his job.

Yup. This is the true effect of a(nother) loss like this. If we can finish top of the table and get rolled, then finish second and get rolled again (in embarassing fashion) the following year, how do you inspire any hope at all in the home and away season. I actually think we needed this. Think about it, if we lost by a small margins in one of our usual late, loose by a couple of kicks comebacks we wouldn't have the kind of heat we have on us now.

Potentially but I don’t know how much say ken allows them to have. Ken is the very top guy and the one who holds most the responsibility.
So on the flip side, it's possible he gives them a lot of control and let's them do their thing. He may focus more on player management, and perhaps provide high level input into strategies etc.

Yes, it is his responsibility at the end of the day, but this is why I'm very much against just picking the next guy in line without actually knowing how these things work at our club.

Truth is, none of us have any idea who does what exactly, so it's hard to speculate who the problem is. We've all long said the forward game plan is an issue. If Ken sacks Bassett, that might be all that's required to fix the forward plan.

Ken, like everyone, has strengths and weakness. His strengths appear to be man management and the players play for him and love him. He's been spoken about as a father figure, and he represents our club well.

His weaknesses appear to be tactical/strategic, and by surrounding him with assistants that are strong in those facets we can still succeed.

This is why we've seen a significant uplift in performances over the past few years - we've now got some excellent assistants. We also had a decent start with Richardson as an assistant, and fell away when he left.

Sacking the coach is rarely a magic bullet, and often the strengths of the new coach will help some parts, the weaknesses may open up new issues. It's important to remember that the coaches are a team, and they succeed together and fail together - just like the players.

There's no doubt that changes need to be made, but I believe replacing specific line coaches will be the magic ticket.

Apparently Hinkley is going to front a special press conference later today to address the reasons for last night's loss. The script he is going to use has been leaked to the press;

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam eleifend hendrerit arcu ac ultrices. Morbi et metus imperdiet, varius metus eget, accumsan metus. Proin ultricies dolor aliquet nisi tempus gravida. Cras vitae finibus sem, vitae bibendum tellus. Nulla facilisi. Sed bibendum tortor et tellus aliquam facilisis. Nullam egestas elit quis est pretium dictum eget a augue. Sed aliquam nisi id elit pellentesque rhoncus. Proin rutrum lacus quis massa aliquam mattis. Donec lectus lorem, auctor sit amet posuere varius, dictum vitae magna. Vivamus ultricies leo eget lobortis molestie. Proin eu volutpat lorem. Etiam accumsan rutrum nulla ac faucibus."

The classic Lorem ipsum speech. I'd almost prefer it to his usual excuses.

Begs the question, if the club had made the (sensible) call to not extend Ken until the season was done, would he have got his contract extended given what's now happened (again)?

You'd have to assume no, surely.

So on the flip side, it's possible he gives them a lot of control and let's them do their thing. He may focus more on player management, and perhaps provide high level input into strategies etc.

Yes, it is his responsibility at the end of the day, but this is why I'm very much against just picking the next guy in line without actually knowing how these things work at our club.

Truth is, none of us have any idea who does what exactly, so it's hard to speculate who the problem is. We've all long said the forward game plan is an issue. If Ken sacks Bassett, that might be all that's required to fix the forward plan.

Ken, like everyone, has strengths and weakness. His strengths appear to be man management and the players play for him and love him. He's been spoken about as a father figure, and he represents our club well.

His weaknesses appear to be tactical/strategic, and by surrounding him with assistants that are strong in those facets we can still succeed.

This is why we've seen a significant uplift in performances over the past few years - we've now got some excellent assistants. We also had a decent start with Richardson as an assistant, and fell away when he left.

Sacking the coach is rarely a magic bullet, and often the strengths of the new coach will help some parts, the weaknesses may open up new issues. It's important to remember that the coaches are a team, and they succeed together and fail together - just like the players.

There's no doubt that changes need to be made, but I believe replacing specific line coaches will be the magic ticket.
I seriously doubt Ken gives them that much control. Even if he theoretically was just the motivator, he can’t even do that right because we’re always getting blown out because of how sluggish and disinterested the team is. I’ll go back to my original question of “what does he actually do”? He can’t coach strategically and clearly can’t motivate the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back