Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

boo-this.gif

It’s easy. Just make Ken the most expensive groundskeeper in AFL history, and make Monty or Chadbro coach. I’m sure they would do it for not much more coin. Just hope the Alberton Oval grass doesn’t curl up and die the first hot day in Spring
We can make Ken assistant coach to Erin Phillips when our AFLW team comes in.

If Koch hadn't sh*t the bed in 2017 Hinkley would be long gone.
If someone like Clarkson were to take over as coach, I wonder how long Koch would last as PAFC chairman. Clarkson didn't win 4 flags at Hawthorn by being nice to people, and telling them what he wanted to hear - he didn't give a stuff what people thought of his methods, and they paid huge dividends. I daresay the heat in the kitchen might become a bit too hot for old Kochie!!!

It’s weird. When the team was plumbing the depths of suck in 2019, and guaranteed that at a minimum, we’d endure a drought without a finals win on par with 1996-2002 and 2007-2013, historical revisionism began to creep in: the 2014 team wasn’t that good after all, with some even venturing to suggest it had ‘overachieved’. This then snowballed into further revisionism, that Ken truly had inherited a terrible list.

We’ll no doubt start to see this in regard to 2020/21 as more and more of the prime movers led by elite arse-saver Robbie Gray begin to fade and retire and the club starts its usual descent into mediocrity, as 8 and 9-out-of-10 players become 5 and 6’ers.

As we know, legacies live and die on taking chances.

If choking and blowing them wasn’t a defective gene in our AFL DNA, Robbie Gray is probably a Norm Smith Medallist, Travis Boak would retire as a premiership captain and the club is sat here level-pegging with West Coast as a 4-time premier at a minimum.

Instead we’re philosophically shrugging our shoulders, thinking things like “Matthew Lobbe was never going to be a premiership ruckman” or “it’s obvious Trent McKenzie wasn’t up to stopping Aaron Naughton”, as if there aren’t a cavalcade of absolute potatoes wearing victory medallions because when push came to shove, they gave 100% and took their chances.

We almost never do when it matters — and as with 01-03, it has little to do with talent.
I was going to highlight a couple of sections of your post that really hit home, but really all of it does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I dislike kern remaining as coach I don't wish him any personal misfortune, but in this game called life he has to weigh up if his long term health is more important than money, because as I see it the pressure he must already be under will ramp up considerably if the team doesn't start well next season, and if that does happen I can see him pulling the pin on himself.

Last edited:
Boak was talking about anxiety on the news in the lead up too. Our attitude/approach seems to be the exact opposite of what it should be.

On the eve of losing to a wounded and bleeding Richmond literally minus their five best players at AO in 2019, Ken said he was “uncomfortable with the favourites tag”.

Not only is failure an option in must-win games, the coach and leaders actively invite and cultivate it.

Many years ago, my mother, my aunty and I went on club organised bus trip to see us play Hawthorn in a preseason Grand Final at Waverley.
It absolutely pissed down, we got smashed, I was disappointed but I knew we would bounce back, it was Port.
Sure it was just a preseason cup but I was 100% engaged.

Back in 1997 I did that same bus trip with those same people and saw us play the Dogs at Optus. We were 40ish points down at quarter time, but we came back and won. I wasn't surprised, that is what Port does. When we beat Geelong that year in Round 3 everyone was shocked. I wasn't. Of course we would win, we are Port after all.

At around halftime during the recent prelim they mentioned that Optus Oval game and it really made me reflect on how much I've changed as a supporter.

I wish I could be that earlier supporter again, that one that always assumed we would come back, that had over the top passion for and faith in this club.

What happened Port?
With this post, you've tapped into something that I was also thinking about.

When we joined the AFL, we had Greg Boulton as Chairman and Brian Cunningham as CEO. Brian Cunningham had been my teacher at high school so I knew what sort of person he was and then I got to know Greg Boulton later through some work I did for him when he was a client of my employer. We also had John Cahill as coach and he was followed by Mark Williams. All of these people were quintessential Port people. They knew what the PAFC stood for and what it meant to represent the PAFC and the obligations that came with it.

It seems to me that, over time, the custodianship of that Port Adelaide that joined the AFL has has not passed on effectively to the subsequent generations of players and administrators at the club and we have therefore lost what it was that made us what we were.

I know there is still a lot of lip service paid to the history, tradition, values, etc but I don't think the people there really understand these things because they're not being reflected in how the club conducts itself anymore.

I'm sure there are many reasons for this. Some of them could perhaps be attributed to the actions or inactions of certain individuals but it's probably just as much due to the changing nature of our society and culture. With football becoming a business, there is probably an inevitable trend towards uniformity, with every club becoming a franchise, being run as a business unit and supporters becoming customers.

I think the reality now is that the main link the current PAFC has to the PAFC of the past is through supporters such as many of those on this forum. We are among the last remaining keepers of the PAFC flame but we are in the minority and our numbers will continue to decrease.

I grew up as a Port fan first, a football fan second and I think it was the same for most people of that and earlier generations. To be a Port supporter meant that you hated losing more than you enjoyed winning because that was the spirit of the PAFC. The only measure of success was winning the last game of the year, which was your expectation to do at the start of each season. If that wasn't your thing and you just wanted some casual football entertainment, there were nine other clubs in SA that would cater to you.

It's not like that now. Most people, including an ever increasing number of Port supporters, are theatre-goers, people looking for casual entertainment and a fun day out. Winning is nice and losing isn't taken to heart, just greeted with a shrug and a hope for better luck next time. As with many areas of modern life, people are comfortably numb, not thinking too much about what is going on around them, not asking hard questions of leaders, not holding them to account or questioning the status quo.

Unfortunately, the club we grew up with, the club we thought we knew just isn't that club anymore. And it's probably not ever coming back.

It’s weird. When the team was plumbing the depths of suck in 2019, and guaranteed that at a minimum, we’d endure a drought without a finals win on par with 1996-2002 and 2007-2013, historical revisionism began to creep in: the 2014 team wasn’t that good after all, with some even venturing to suggest it had ‘overachieved’. This then snowballed into further revisionism, that Ken truly had inherited a terrible list.

We’ll no doubt start to see this in regard to 2020/21 as more and more of the prime movers led by elite arse-saver Robbie Gray begin to fade and retire and the club starts its usual descent into mediocrity, as 8 and 9-out-of-10 players become 5 and 6’ers.

As we know, legacies live and die on taking chances.

If choking and blowing them wasn’t a defective gene in our AFL DNA, Robbie Gray is probably a Norm Smith Medallist, Travis Boak would retire as a premiership captain and the club is sat here level-pegging with West Coast as a 4-time premier at a minimum.

Instead we’re philosophically shrugging our shoulders, thinking things like “Matthew Lobbe was never going to be a premiership ruckman” or “it’s obvious Trent McKenzie wasn’t up to stopping Aaron Naughton”, as if there aren’t a cavalcade of absolute potatoes wearing victory medallions because when push came to shove, they gave 100% and took their chances.

We almost never do when it matters — and as with 01-03, it has little to do with talent.

Sensational post.

With this post, you've tapped into something that I was also thinking about.

When we joined the AFL, we had Greg Boulton as Chairman and Brian Cunningham as CEO. Brian Cunningham had been my teacher at high school so I knew what sort of person he was and then I got to know Greg Boulton later through some work I did for him when he was a client of my employer. We also had John Cahill as coach and he was followed by Mark Williams. All of these people were quintessential Port people. They knew what the PAFC stood for and what it meant to represent the PAFC and the obligations that came with it.

It seems to me that, over time, the custodianship of that Port Adelaide that joined the AFL has has not passed on effectively to the subsequent generations of players and administrators at the club and we have therefore lost what it was that made us what we were.

I know there is still a lot of lip service paid to the history, tradition, values, etc but I don't think the people there really understand these things because they're not being reflected in how the club conducts itself anymore.

I'm sure there are many reasons for this. Some of them could perhaps be attributed to the actions or inactions of certain individuals but it's probably just as much due to the changing nature of our society and culture. With football becoming a business, there is probably an inevitable trend towards uniformity, with every club becoming a franchise, being run as a business unit and supporters becoming customers.

I think the reality now is that the main link the current PAFC has to the PAFC of the past is through supporters such as many of those on this forum. We are among the last remaining keepers of the PAFC flame but we are in the minority and our numbers will continue to decrease.

I grew up as a Port fan first, a football fan second and I think it was the same for most people of that and earlier generations. To be a Port supporter meant that you hated losing more than you enjoyed winning because that was the spirit of the PAFC. The only measure of success was winning the last game of the year, which was your expectation to do at the start of each season. If that wasn't your thing and you just wanted some casual football entertainment, there were nine other clubs in SA that would cater to you.

It's not like that now. Most people, including an ever increasing number of Port supporters, are theatre-goers, people looking for casual entertainment and a fun day out. Winning is nice and losing isn't taken to heart, just greeted with a shrug and a hope for better luck next time. As with many areas of modern life, people are comfortably numb, not thinking too much about what is going on around them, not asking hard questions of leaders, not holding them to account or questioning the status quo.

Unfortunately, the club we grew up with, the club we thought we knew just isn't that club anymore. And it's probably not ever coming back.

Couldn’t agree more.
Basically it’s a reflection of life in general today.
There is very little accountability and self responsibility.
You only have to look at all the various articles , the blowtorch is seldom, if ever put on individuals.

Then again, maybe like you I’m a dinosaur.
I remember the Port Adelaide of the 80s and 90s , I know things have changed but I somehow don’t think we’ll see those glory days again.
It’s obvious that the results over the last decade are hurting the supporter group here more that the players and management at Alberton.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Couldn’t agree more.
Basically it’s a reflection of life in general today.
There is very little accountability and self responsibility.
You only have to look at all the various articles , the blowtorch is seldom, if ever put on individuals.

Then again, maybe like you I’m a dinosaur.
I remember the Port Adelaide of the 80s and 90s , I know things have changed but I somehow don’t think we’ll see those glory days again.
It’s obvious that the results over the last decade are hurting the supporter group here more that the players and management at Alberton.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perhaps we are just old men yelling at the cloud.

(I'll see myself out)

I really hope the bolded part isn't true, but it probably is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back