Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there though?

There's Butters who will be good. Duursma, Jones and Georgiades will be at least solid and we hope good.

Who else? Sinn, Mead and the rest of the recent draft picks haven't shown anything at the level. They could be anything or nothing at this stage. Total speculation.
Full rebuild is where you are losing me that infers complete culling which we don't need to do.

Is there though?

There's Butters who will be good. Duursma, Jones and Georgiades will be at least solid and we hope good.

Who else? Sinn, Mead and the rest of the recent draft picks haven't shown anything at the level. They could be anything or nothing at this stage. Total speculation.

If all the players are shit, then maybe Hinkley doesn't have the cattle.

We know that isn't true.

If all the players are shit, then maybe Hinkley doesn't have the cattle.

We know that isn't true.

He doesn't have the cattle anymore. And I called that tipping point pre season so this is not an overreaction.

But he did have the cattle for most of the previous 9 years and squandered it and that's the crime he's being hanged for. Not winning the flag in 2020 was unforgivable. We will never get a better chance, ever.

Here's something depressing to think about.

Even when Hinkley is finally gone, who has any confidence in the club to make the right choice for our next senior coach?

They will go for the safest, most boring choice imaginable. It will be some no name, untried assistant coach from a top 4 club.

We will then embark on a full rebuild where we scale down expectations for at least 3 years before any level of performance is expected or demanded. A total reinvention of the current (laughable) mantra of "sustained success".

Literally why do any of us even bother? What holes in our lives are we trying to fill by actually following this club?

Outside of a proven former coach (ie Clarkson), pretty much any other option would be an assistant from a top club. Sure, there's the Buckley option (which I doubt would happen) but for the most part, given how little exposure AFL assistants have in the media, it's a fait accompli that whoever replaces Hinkley (whenever that is) will be an unproven guy who does little to garner inspiration outside of not being Ken.

Ken has this and next year on his contract. We don’t know if we have to pay him out for next year if we sack him. On balance, he will not walk…

Strange thought, I wonder if the players believe Ken won’t be at the club next year and have taken on Board the Clarkson rubbish. Mind you, based on what we have seen at Hawthorn, Clarko could be passed it.
If he is still around next season. I am done mentally and financially with the club.

Outside of a proven former coach (ie Clarkson), pretty much any other option would be an assistant from a top club. Sure, there's the Buckley option (which I doubt would happen) but for the most part, given how little exposure AFL assistants have in the media, it's a fait accompli that whoever replaces Hinkley (whenever that is) will be an unproven guy who does little to garner inspiration outside of not being Ken.

There are four coaches who have coached in grand finals in the last decade who are available right now. Four.

Even when Hinkley is finally gone, who has any confidence in the club to make the right choice for our next senior coach?

They will go for the safest, most boring choice imaginable. It will be some no name, untried assistant coach from a top 4 club.

We will then embark on a full rebuild where we scale down expectations for at least 3 years before any level of performance is expected or demanded. A total reinvention of the current (laughable) mantra of "sustained success".

Literally why do any of us even bother? What holes in our lives are we trying to fill by actually following this club?
That is why we sack Ken then immediately boot Koch before making decision on coach. The board needs restructure. Monts to coach out year.

Compare the pair:

Neil Craig-
2004- Took over the coaching role mid-season
2005- Minor Premiers and Prelim (lose by 16 points)
2006- Prelim (lose by 10 points)
2007- Elimination final (lose by 3 points)
2008- Elimination final (lose by 31 points)
2009- Semi final (lose by 5 points)
2010- Missed finals- Finished 11th
2011- Sacked after winning only 4 games of 16

Ken Hinkley-
2013- Semi Final (lose by 16 points)
2014- Prelim (lose by 3 points)
2015- Missed finals- finished 9th
2016- Missed finals- finished 10th
2017- Elimination final (lost by 2 points)
2018- Missed finals- Finished 10th
2019- Missed finals- Finished 10th
2020- Minor Premiers and Prelim (lose by 6 points)
2021- Prelim (lose by 71 points)

Even though we missed the finals in 2015 and 2016 we were still playing an exciting brand of footy. That all changed in 2017 when it went to shit with Ken ball. PISS OFF KEN!

Last edited:
"not being Ken" garners a **** load of inspiration

I have no faith in anything lead by Koch. He's a huge part of the problem. I've said that in Lockhart Road's thread that the Koch & Ken careers are linked and will die together. After last night that should be today for Ken and by seasons end for Koch.

We as a club are the moment in the Matrix where Trinity tells Neo before he takes the red pill that Neo knows the road, he's been down it before and knows where it ends. We're in the same spot as a club and the club have to realise it now rather the later before the damage is done that won't be reversed. You can sense the mood at the ground that people have had enough of Hinkley and the status quo.

We know even with Ken coaching at his best we will fail at the penultimate hurdle against the elite sides. 9 and a bit years of proof and evidence are there, it can't be ignored. This year the elite sides will be the least of our problems, we're staring down the barrell of a bottom 4 finish. Our top players are cooked, Ken's message is lost on them, it doesn't sink in anymore. Two years of playing deep into September for no reward has finally caught up to them.

I foolishly tried to con myself into a sense of optimism leading into the season, I tried to ignore the signs in the Gold Coast game, the same signs were there in the Crows practice game. We played 2 and a bit quarters well at the Gabba, then the past 5 quarters are irrefutable proof this list has done all it can, it's climbed as high as it can under a coach that ultimately won't lead them to where they want to go. Time the board realised it to. I'm hoping Snowden see's it now he's on the board and pushes for change. Deep down I knew the ass was going to fall out of us this season, the preliminary final debacle was the final nail for our group.

As for who'd be our next coach there is three ready made coaches I'd be going for already in Clarkson, Lyon or Buckley. Anyone of them could take the under 25 list we have and mould them into the force they should become. Hinkley cannot and should not be allowed to have anymore input in that groups development. Outside of those 3 as coach Schofield is there and whatever other highly rated assistants will do a job of installing some optimism amongst supporters.

Having said all of that nothing will change with Koch in charge. I hope to be proven wrong but he won't make a move. His ego won't allow it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can imagine the club seriously considering Monty, Bassett or Schofield because they are gettable without trying and maybe one of them is the right choice or maybe none are and it should be somebody else but there's no point in debating who it should be because firstly the club has to distinguish its own devotion away from Hinkley before moving forward.

Apart from the longer term board members that have backed in Hinkley, you have Koch, Richardson, and Davies that will have to alter their position on Hinkley and I struggle to see any of them do that.

I see Koch stepping down and allowing a new president with a couple of the newer board members to make the call on Hinkley, and Davies and Richardson then supporting the new president's decision. I can't imagine Koch wearing the decision on sacking Hinkley.

As for who'd be our next coach there is three ready made coaches I'd be going for already in Clarkson, Lyon or Buckley. Anyone of them could take the under 25 list we have and mould them into the force they should become. Hinkley cannot and should not be allowed to have anymore input in that groups development. Outside of those 3 as coach Schofield is there and whatever other highly rated assistants will do a job of installing some optimism amongst supporters.

Having said all of that nothing will change with Koch in charge. I hope to be proven wrong but he won't make a move. His ego won't allow it.
Whatever happens, we must avoid at all costs appointing one of our assistants as head honcho.
Need someone completely removed from Ken's game plans and more tactically into the modern era football way to play ie. an outsider!!!!!

Nah full rebuild is not needed there's decent young talent it's just moving on from Gray, Boak, Dixon, Jonas etc.

Yeah I don't get consumed by words of a rebuild. A new coach comes in and says these players must be replaced and these players must be kept, goes about dong so and a winning coach can get you a flag in a handful of years.

Whatever happens, we must avoid at all costs appointing one of our assistants as head honcho.
Need someone completely removed from Ken's game plans and more tactically into the modern era football way to play ie. an outsider!!!!!
I've had that thought if/when we move on Ken our next coach needs to be someone outside of Alberton and preferably someone completely outside of the Adelaide bubble all together. Get someone from outside of that thinking and come in fresh and bring their own people in. We need a seismic shift with our next coach, not more of the same.

I don't think Monty nor Bassett would coach anything like Hinkley. They've been around enough at other clubs to not be influenced by Hinkley.

Hinkley has cooked his coaching prospects now. No one else will hire him.

He'll be desperate to hang out here as long as possible and wrangle a few more bucks so he can throw it away at the dog track.

He won't go willingly.
He would know he's cooked, but he has that Wrinkles mentality MAKE THEM CARRY YOU OUT.

Is there though?

I watch the Magpies and I don't think there is enough.

His press conference was depressing. Looked defeated. Had no answers. Gave no reasons or excuses. Just sort of spent 9 minutes saying we couldn't score and they could, which isn't exactly insightful.

It's going to be a very long year. And as I posted even before last night's meltdown, he won't see the end of it.
How was the “we need to get to the (pause) work on it”….the pause being he was going to say “get to the bottom of it” and realised that means him.

There are four coaches who have coached in grand finals in the last decade who are available right now. Four.

You really think Ross Lyon would move the needle? Hasn't been relevant since 2015.

Nathan Buckley? Whilst I could understand people getting excited by Bucks, he coached a team who bottled a 5 goal lead in a grand final against a non-Victorian club at the G. At least you could say with Bucks that despite not having the best players, he seemed to get the most out of his sides.

Whilst Clarko sounds like the dream, I also think there needs to be trepidation with him. He hasn't coached a side to win a final since 2015. I get that he's a 4 time premiership coach and has a hall of fame type resume, but I do question whether the game has passed him by to a degree. I fear he is the AFL's coaching equivalent of Jose Mourinho.

Unless I'm missing someone, assuming the 4th is Don Pyke, he wouldn't be an option to come in right now, but would come in at the end of the season in prep for season 2023.

An untried assistant from a different club could very well be the best option at this point.

You just know Ken went home last night, laid in bed and looked at his bank balance and slept like a baby. Plenty more Pooordadelaide dollars to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back