Opinion Sack Hinkley 4 - Show Him The Door

When to sack Ken?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken Hinkley is the new Steve Austin - the $6 million man.

Post 2014 PF, the PAFC is going to pay him at least $6 million. They aren't sacking him, and unless we have a 0-8 or 2-12 type season next year, he is here until 2023.

Unlike Steve Austin, he isn't better, faster, stronger.

He says there is just always 10% who are negative.

Does he really think that it is only 10%?

Does he really think the number of people wanting him gone never changes?

Does he really think it is just people who are perennial pessimists?

I am an eternal optimist. There is no way you could put me in the most negative 10% and I want him gone!

It's more than 10% and it's growing.

From what I've seen, even most FB pages are now questioning Ken continuing. The overall likes on We Are Port Adelaide to the recent letter from here was telling.

The only one that has remained firm are Ken Oath's Happy Clappers, but given how aggressive they've gotten there lately, I reckon even they're feeling the pressure and certainly feeling the denial.

I think the real truths will come home when the membership numbers inevitably drop next season, and we get disappointing crowds, provided we can let full numbers in.

It's bad to say, but I really hope we see significant member and crowd drops next season. Loss of $$$ is the only way we can get this administration to listen.

Last edited:

In reality it probably is only 10%. From what i've read and heard and seen from people i'd say a good 70% are pretty stoked with our last two years.

It looked like 50% of the crowd had departed before three quarter time. The number of people that left the game and the rate by which they left doesn't equate to 70% being stoked about the last two years. It has been 9 years. If Hinkley had been in his 5th year then maybe those that left might have remained to almost the bitter end, as they did when we dived against Sydney at the home QF in 2003, in Choco's 5th year.

It looked like 50% of the crowd had departed before three quarter time. The number of people that left the game and the rate by which they left doesn't equate to 70% being stoked about the last two years. It has been 9 years. If Hinkley had been in his 5th year then maybe those that left might have remained to almost the bitter end, as they did when we dived against Sydney at the home QF in 2003, in Choco's 5th year.
I’m not sure you can deduct that because 50% left by three qtr time from a game that was over about 10min into the third qtr, means that it’s not a possibility that 70% of people are still ok with what we’ve achieved over the last two years.

I’m not sure you can deduct that because 50% left by three qtr time from a game that was over about 10min into the third qtr, means that it’s not a possibility that 70% of people are still ok with what we’ve achieved over the last two years.

One can be ok with what we've achieved in the last 2 years whilst still acknowledging that they have been underwhelming in big games when it matters - especially so given the circumstances at play. One can also be happy with what we've achieved the last two years and recognise that this is the ceiling for this group under the current senior coach hence desiring change.

Rowie: "On your preparation, is there anything you would change?"
Hinkley: "No, don't think there's anything we could change"

Nothing we could change? We got absolutely pumped in the first quarter to the point of abject embarrassment and there's NOTHING we could change?
So nothing in the preparation and he's not said squat about any changes he'd have made on the night.... So basically, this man has absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever. I actually believe that. Hence to the question whether he was out coached and he sarcastically replied that "he was a genius two weeks ago".. no Ken, nobody said you were a genius two weeks ago. It's was all the players. Just as it was all the players against the Bulldogs, just like it was all the players for every game this year. So why have a coach at all? Well... why have you as a coach Ken? You can't come out and say that you'd do nothing different after a pumping like that and expect people to still place any value on what you do at all...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One can be ok with what we've achieved in the last 2 years whilst still acknowledging that they have been underwhelming in big games when it matters - especially so given the circumstances at play. One can also be happy with what we've achieved the last two years and recognise that this is the ceiling for this group under the current senior coach hence desiring change.
My point was it still is a possibility that 70% of supporters are stoked with what we’ve done the last couple of years. I guess we’ll see how the membership numbers look in the next few years depending on performance.

Ken Hinkley is the new Steve Austin - the $6 million man.

Post 2014 PF, the PAFC is going to pay him at least $6 million. They aren't sacking him, and unless we have a 0-8 or 2-12 type season next year, he is here until 2023.

Unlike Steve Austin, he isn't better, faster, stronger.
I like the bit where he smashes cans of Coke Zero together and sculls them at the end of every game.

Oops .. wrong Steve Austin.

My point was it still is a possibility that 70% of supporters are stoked with what we’ve done the last couple of years. I guess we’ll see how the membership numbers look in the next few years depending on performance.

Of course it is possible. However, speaking just from my experience, with a sample size of the few thousand patients I would have seen in my practice the last 12 months, about 20% of them love Ken, 30% want him gone - and 50% are ambivalent to either side but do agree that his record against top sides in big games is not conducive to winning a premiership.

Honestly, I could recover from a performance like that if the coach(es), the club, actually came out explained what we did leading up, what we did to address it on the night, what the problems were that we saw etc. We don't get any of that. We get a general condemnation of the performance with everyone saying it was everyone's fault, while nobody is putting their hand up saying "I did this wrong". There's not even an explanation of what did go wrong, even though it was on national television for everyone to see. As a leader, one of the things I'm looking for in a team member is how they deal with mistakes. We all make mistakes, we all have bad days, it's how you deal with it. If you don't own it, you don't acknowledge and communicate it, you don't apologise and learn from it, you're doomed to make it again. This could be happening internally, but as stakeholders, your members and supporters deserve to know what went wrong and how you're dealing with it. This wasn't some back room mistake. This was a massive shitting of the bed on a national stage for all to see, and I get more out of my fellow supporters than I do anyone at the club, who continue to treat us like idiots. Like we all didn't witness it. Just be honest. Ask your players to do the same. I'd love to hear Ken say "maybe they needed a gee up?" or "maybe we were too pumped?". I'd love to hear Charlie say "I couldn't get near it" or Wines and Boak to say "We didn't pay enough respect to Bont". Imagine that? Imagine the empathy the supporters and public might actually have for them then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back