Opinion Sack Hinkley 7 - "Turn it around or watch out"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about comparing yourself to the crows. But no one can deny they are a bitter rival.
Ask yourself this question. If the crows were in a grand final, playing against a Richmond, a Geelong, or a Collingwood, who would you be barracking for in that game?
If the Crows were playing Geelong in a Grand Final I'd be barracking for a nuke to wipe out the country.

Anyway, 'biggest' doesn't necessarily mean most hated. They can be different. I'd say back in the day Norwood were Port's 'biggest' rivalry, but there was begrudging mutual respect there. The Crows aren't Norwood, they're Glenelg.

Anyway, 'biggest' doesn't necessarily mean most hated. They can be different. I'd say back in the day Norwood were Port's 'biggest' rivalry, but there was begrudging mutual respect there. The Crows aren't Norwood, they're Glenelg.
A rivalry is all aboit hatred, and is something that transcends ladder positions and how the respective clubs are travelling at a given time. To me it's Adelaide, followed by Geelong.
Hatred is exactly what sustains a rivalry. Without it you may aswell just be playing a video game.

A rivalry is all aboit hatred, and is something that transcends ladder positions and how the respective clubs are travelling at a given time. To me it's Adelaide, followed by Geelong.
Hatred is exactly what sustains a rivalry. Without it you may aswell just be playing a video game.

Personally, I get more out of wins over Collingwood. But that is a result of living in Melbourne for the last 22 years. For the club, the rivalry with the Crows is the biggest there is.

This eventually just becomes a definitional thing.

For me rivalry = hatred + respect.

Example is as a Liverpool fan our rival is Man U because we hate them, but we also respect them.

Yes I hate the Camries, but I don't respect them at all. They're a joke franchise that was created in a courtroom and even their own fans care a lot more about us than they do about their own "club".

Geelong on the other hand won their first VFL flag in 1878. No matter what questions there are on their recent history, they are a genuine football club, with genuine supporters and members, who have contributed to football for well over 100 years.

I hate the Camries more, but I consider Geelong to be a closer "rival".

Example is as a Liverpool fan our rival is Man U because we hate them, but we also respect them.

Yes I hate the Camries, but I don't respect them at all. They're a joke franchise that was created in a courtroom and even their own fans care a lot more about us than they do about their own "club".

Geelong on the other hand won their first VFL flag in 1878. No matter what questions there are on their recent history, they are a genuine football club, with genuine supporters and members, who have contributed to football for well over 100 years.

The "courtroom" thing is kind of the point. The Crows represent everything antithetical to Port Adelaide. They are the onfield arm of the Basheer/Whicker SANFL that tried to destroy this club.
I just don't understand why some people attempt to downplay a very real natural rivalry. I know there are some people who overly obsess over the "tingles", and I find that annoying too. But im happy to embrace this very real, bitter rivalry for what it is.

Last edited:
I would like to see Geelong loose but more importantly I would hate to see the Crows win. There's a difference and it's different again in different circumstances. My "State Pride" ranks pretty low on the scale of reasons to want an AFL team to win. For me, the "State of SA" involves a LOT of people who apposed us joining the AFL when we had every right to do so, so I don't have much pride being lumped in with them in the context of AFL football. I feel more affinity with a club like Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon in spite of issues like the prison bars, than I do with a club that was created as the corporate, soulless, antithesis to the one I love. At least those Vic clubs are motivated by self interest and not just to spite everything we do.

This sums it up perfectly for me. Like you said, I think it comes down to how you define "rival". I feel like we all feel the same way, it's just how we describe it. It also depends on what you find satisfying. It could vary day to day.

Look, the Brisbane win was champagne footy stuff, unexpected and fun to watch JHF, Duursma, Houston, Rozee, et al giving the Lions a taste of their own medicine for a change.

But let's not forget 2 of most aggravating home ground capitulations less than a year ago, and off the back of a record losing home PF

We have a cycle of inconsistent results and extreme flakiness with Donuts.

So if you ask me 'Don't you remember 2008-2012?', yeah I do because we're still arguably having those same losing margins in the present day.

This sums it up perfectly for me. Like you said, I think it comes down to how you define "rival". I feel like we all feel the same way, it's just how we describe it. It also depends on what you find satisfying. It could vary day to day.

My original response was to a post that stated "the crows are our smallest and least relevant rival". I'll let you decide if that's true or is complete nonsense.

The `pride of South Australia ' BS with the crows has been dead in the water for years but they just can't let it go.
I can't recall the exact number comparison, but I can remember hearing somewhere there were more interstate born players in their most recent gf team than there were those of the home grown variety, which should be par for the course for the non Vic teams due to the draft system anyway.

As an aside to the above, a Richmond premiership team of the late 1960's reportedly had only about 6 Victorian born players in its starting 18.

Re the most intense rivalry bit, Collingwood and Geelong are obviously right up there, but for me and a number of other Port supporters who I have contact with beating the crows is still number 1 on the list.

My original response was to a post that stated "the crows are our smallest and least relevant rival". I'll let you decide if that's true or is complete nonsense.

ok perhaps a bit of hyperbole there :p i'm one of those "will/speak it into reality" people, so if i say that i just want it to become so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "courtroom" thing is kind of the point. The Crows represent everything antithetical to Port Adelaide. They are the onfield arm of the Basheer/Whicker SANFL that tried to destroy this club.
I just don't understand why some people attempt to downplay a very real natural rivalry. I know there are some people who overly obsess over the "tingles", and I find that annoying too. But im happy to embrace this very real, bitter rivalry for what it is.
When it comes to the Clowns it's hatred for me.

They stole our place in the AFL and players also. I think we could have won a couple of flags if we went in the comp when we should have. They are an abomination created out of spite and bitterness.

Sack Hinkley
Sack the Crows
Sack the SANFL

Last edited:
This isn't really true. People say this, but they don't really mean it. I'll openly admit that there's no team I prefer beating than the crows, and if everyone here is completely honest they'll say the same thing. As the only local AFL rival, competing for media space and young fans, they are our main rival. Anyone who says otherwise isn't being honest.
Geelong

Adelaide

Collingwood
West Coast

Brisbane

Richmond
Eveyone else

Why wait that long?
Sack him on live TV at MCG during his pregame interview. Remember the Renault sponsorship announcement, Koch likes to make big announcements at the MCG.

All fanbases have’em, and ours isn’t perfect by any stretch, but it’s always been the blatant hypocrisy for me.

• The state guernsey fiasco: ‘Port sooked and we can’t wear it’; actually, literally every South Australian footy icon except Graham Cornes was dead against it and that was why it was knocked on the head.

• Racism: some random subterranean gromit throws a banana and it’s proof positive all Portonians are racist, but a certain senior player can literally vilify an indigenous player and “it’s a storm in a teacup/toughen up/what did he do?”

• Crowds: ‘we show up rain, hail or shine; win lose or draw, unlike the bandwagoners at Porp Hour!’ — they properly bottom out for the first time in thirty years and their crowds slip below ours for the first time. unthinkable 5 years ago, let alone 15-25 years ago.

• Player behaviour: happy to spread extreme rumours every time one of our players has an off-field issue (‘he was the real driver that night/he punched a cop!), but become Johnnie Cochrane every time one of theirs is in actual hot water: “were you there?! WERE YOU THERE?! if the broken handbag does not fit you must acquit!”

• Claiming not to care about us, while we’re obsessed: their greatest collective moment of football joy since the turn of the millennium is the 2007 Grand Final. so much so that ‘119’ has become as synonymous with their supporter culture as ‘97/98’ or ‘red, gold and blue’.

• ‘Showdowns are Port’s Grand Final’: as evidenced by all the Rory Atkins cupping his hand to his ear celebrating a goal with Betts/Jacobs/Walker in the 2017 Showdown and Jordan Dawson gamewinner pile-on 2022 profile/cover pics on social media that will remain firmly in place well into this decade, etc.

• Other hypocritical tropes: every time we merely recruit a player intended to make us better as per modern list management, the ‘another final piece of the puzzle!’ jibes are never far behind. which would be cool if the Crows didn’t spend 2 first round picks and a huge salary on Bryce Gibbs in the immediate aftermath of just missing out on the flag they were raging red hot favourites to win.

And they haven’t been close since, as Gibbs spent the last year of his bumper deal being paid to play for South Adelaide.

‘FiNaL PiEcE oF ThE PuZzLe’, eh? The absolute gall.

There are others, such as Norwood fans calling us ‘backstabbers’ regarding the first AFL bid (you did the same thing!); or Glenelg fans accusing us of being handout-addicted bludgers (your club was begging the Holdfast Bay Council for a million dollar bailout after the Bay Bistro white elephant fell over, received it, and then cried poor and asked for a write-off!).

But as I said, every fanbase has’em. Just some more than others, arguably.

All fanbases have’em, and ours isn’t perfect by any stretch, but it’s always been the blatant hypocrisy for me.

• The state guernsey fiasco: ‘Port sooked and we can’t wear it’; actually, literally every South Australian footy icon except Graham Cornes was dead against it and that was why it was knocked on the head.

• Racism: some random subterranean gromit throws a banana and it’s proof positive all Portonians are racist, but a certain senior player can literally vilify an indigenous player and “it’s a storm in a teacup/toughen up/what did he do?”

• Crowds: ‘we show up rain, hail or shine; win lose or draw, unlike the bandwagoners at Porp Hour!’ — they properly bottom out for the first time in thirty years and their crowds slip below ours for the first time. unthinkable 5 years ago, let alone 15-25 years ago.

• Player behaviour: happy to spread extreme rumours every time one of our players has an off-field issue (‘he was the real driver that night/he punched a cop!), but become Johnnie Cochrane every time one of theirs is in actual hot water: “were you there?! WERE YOU THERE?! if the broken handbag does not fit you must acquit!”

• Claiming not to care about us, while we’re obsessed: their greatest collective moment of football joy since the turn of the millennium is the 2007 Grand Final. so much so that ‘119’ has become as synonymous with their supporter culture as ‘97/98’ or ‘red, gold and blue’.

• ‘Showdowns are Port’s Grand Final’: as evidenced by all the Rory Atkins cupping his hand to his ear celebrating a goal with Betts/Jacobs/Walker in the 2017 Showdown and Jordan Dawson gamewinner pile-on 2022 profile/cover pics on social media that will remain firmly in place well into this decade, etc.

• Other hypocritical tropes: every time we merely recruit a player intended to make us better as per modern list management, the ‘another final piece of the puzzle!’ jibes are never far behind. which would be cool if the Crows didn’t spend 2 first round picks and a huge salary on Bryce Gibbs in the immediate aftermath of just missing out on the flag they were raging red hot favourites to win.

And they haven’t been close since, as Gibbs spent the last year of his bumper deal being paid to play for South Adelaide.

‘FiNaL PiEcE oF ThE PuZzLe’, eh? The absolute gall.

There are others, such as Norwood fans calling us ‘backstabbers’ regarding the first AFL bid (you did the same thing!); or Glenelg fans accusing us of being handout-addicted bludgers (your club was begging the Holdfast Bay Council for a million dollar bailout after the Bay Bistro white elephant fell over, received it, and then cried poor and asked for a write-off!).

But as I said, every fanbase has’em. Just some more than others, arguably.
Ironic post is ironic.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back