Opinion Sack Hinkley 9 - I Am Become Donuts, Destroyer Of Ports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the presser yesterday with TJ, he said Tommy was one of the two captains in his time at Port. This guy's stupidity is boundless.
Oh yes, forgive me for not thinking Ken is meticulous at his job, lives and breathes his work and is fully engaged.

campaigner doesn't even know how fixtures work or how many ****ing captains he has burned through.

****ing useless.

Our defensive unit was absolute rat s**t for that game - Richmond outscored us 20-30 from forward half intercepts, even though we had more of them (32-22).

Lost the clearances by 11? We lost the clearances in the last quarter 13-3. The score from stoppages was 9-6 by the end of the game in Richmond’s favour. As for the ruck? By the middle of the third quarter we had recorded 11 hitouts to advantage to 1.

It was the performance of a team that lost Burton early and had to send Motlop into defence which robbed our ability to create score from forward half intercepts. We had to create most of our score from defensive half chains - one of the reasons why we now play guys like Farrell and Williams in defence.

Bullshit. Burton played almost half the game and we were no better at scoring when he was on the field. In the first quarter, when Burton was on the field, we generated more front half intercepts than any other side had in Q1 of any game for the whole season, and we had 2 goals to show for it.

We averaged 28ppg from stoppages in 2020 and didn't score a single point from a stoppage in the first 3 quarters, which goes to show that even if we were getting some raw numbers, our clearances were of low quality and weren't giving us any drive. We didn't score from a stoppage until half way through the last quarter when Ladhams won a free kick for a ruck infringement. Comically bad stoppage work all night.

Our defence kept Richmond to 44 inside 50s and 46 points despite the midfield getting dominated.

It's not just clearances, it's specifically centre clearances. The count was 4-11, but the raw numbers flatter us and don't paint an accurate picture of how bad those centre clearances were. We could have comfortably accounted for them if we'd taken any advantage at all of the 6-6-6 rule, instead we were repeatedly trying to transition the ball with Ken Hinkley's patented zero plan against the best transition and intercept defence side in the league. When we played them in round 11 we won the centre clearances 20-5 and had 28-17 scoring shots. This game was a -22 turnaround in centre clearances compared to our last game against them.

We lost that side because we, as one of the better clearance sides in the league that season, let a bottom 4 clearance side and a bottom 2 centre-clearance side absolutely dominate us.

The talk about Bevo not finishing in the top 4 (despite the two GFs) is so funny because he’s only coached for one more season than Ken had when he had his first top 4 H&A finish. Double standards are all I can see from Kane here.
2014 - WB are a mess, Griffin the captain wants out, McCartney is sacked, Dogs finish 14th, look years away from contending again

2015 - Bevo takes over, they play a fast exciting brand, make finals, bow out in close finals loss to the Crows at the MCG thats not their preferred home ground

2016 - Have a solid H&A season and finish 7th, have an incredible finals series winning 4 finals plus the flag

2017-2020 - A flag before their time, they lose a generational young talent to the pressures of the game (Boyd), others to injuries (Smith, Picken, Morris, Dickson), some traded out (Stringer, Dalhaus).

2021 - Make a GF from 5th, just slipping out of the top 4 after losing to us late in the year. Win 3 straight finals on the road including the Lions at the Gabba and the infamous 'wouldn't change a thing' Stinkley nightmare QF under lights at AO. Lose the GF in a bizarre late momentum swing capitulation after being 21 points up in the third quarter.

2022 - Off the pace and fall down the ladder somewhat, play an away final to Freo and despite the early big lead fall short and are bundled out.

2023 - Reasonable form for the first half of the year, they lose to the WCE and may just miss finals.

The media pressure on Bevo is simply ridiculous and misguided. Funny how none argue that he deserves to turn it around nope, just sack him and the media will mount the pressure on until it happens.

The talk about Bevo not finishing in the top 4 (despite the two GFs) is so funny because he’s only coached for one more season than Ken had when he had his first top 4 H&A finish. Double standards are all I can see from Kane here.

Don't forget Ken's "amazing h&a record" which has seen him have the same amount of finals appearances as the Bulldogs, including this year and assuming the Bulldogs miss. That's despite bevo coaching 2 less years.

Oh god if they knocked us out imagine Kanes mental gymnastics

Lol imagine if it's a prelim again and they piss blast us off the park.

And bevo comes out and goes KANE KORNS, YOU WERE WRONG!

Daddy filmed having a good grin and a chuckle after the match with libba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're 10 points behind Carlton.

It will take 48 points to get finals, minimum.

Bulldogs have 44 with one game left.

They could maybe make 8th I think at most?
Oh I see how you've misread my post. You think I meant knock Carlton out of the 8.

I mean they would scrape in by beating Geelong and GWS losing to Carlton, meaning GWS finish outside of the 8, and Bulldogs finish 8th.

That could then set them up for an 8th vs 5th elimination final vs Carlton where they could knock them out and go to a semi-final.

Oh I see how you've misread my post. You think I meant knock Carlton out of the 8.

I mean they would scrape in by beating Geelong and GWS losing to Carlton, meaning GWS finish outside of the 8, and Bulldogs finish 8th.

That could then set them up for an 8th vs 5th elimination final vs Carlton where they could knock them out and go to a semi-final.
Oh.

Yes that would be hilarious, BUT...

I am scarred from the bulldogs being able to get a run on in the finals.

Kanes out with the Ken - Bevo comparison is that he thinks the Dogs list is better. He's maintained the line the Ken is overachieving while Beveridge is underachieving. We'll never win this argument because our leaders probably agree with Kane.

Kanes out with the Ken - Bevo comparison is that he thinks the Dogs list is better. He's maintained the line the Ken is overachieving while Beveridge is underachieving. We'll never win this argument because our leaders probably agree with Kane.
There's no logical way he can argue this, outside of midfield, surely?

Do you expect any different? Port went five seasons without winning a final and missed finals four out of five years between 2015-19. In fact Port finished below what Kane himself predicted in every single one of these seasons.

You would have thought a team finishing below your expectations for five straight years would have you tearing strips of the Senior Coach who oversaw this.
Not so for Kane. Instead it was pats on the back for selfless Ken who setup the Power for a golden era of success by "Playing the kids" Of course the next three seasons after this yielded a return of zero.

Would Kane still be cupping Ken's balls if he sacked chadbro?
Actually....he probably would, Kane is a sh*tstain.
Kane just takes what he knows to be the most controversial opinion and runs with it. If we all loved Hinkley he'd probably be calling for his sacking on the daily.

Kane just takes what he knows to be the most controversial opinion and runs with it. If we all loved Hinkley he'd probably be calling for his sacking on the daily.

But wouldn't that be the controversial opinion to the ordinary Victorian journalist and/or footy fan, because after all Kenny's "coaching at the top of his game"(tm).

Toumpas? Trengove? Those guys were known to be absolutely cooked when they got to us and hardly even played in 2018. Watts was traded for Pick 31 and never reached the heights that a first round draft pick should. Drew wasn’t even playing in 2018 due to injury, Marshall was still developing etc etc

If that’s the best you’ve got, that proves my point. In 2014 and 2020, we were probably one or two decent players away from making and winning a GF. Put two of 2023 Butters/Rozee/Horne-Francis/Bergman/Aliir in the 2014 or 2023 sides and we win. Hell give me Rioli over Neade in 2014 and we win.

Once you accept that we were one to two above average to elite players away from being a genuine contender during those years, you can reconcile the fact that a best 22 that has Rozee, Wines, Butters, Duursma, Dixon, Bergman, Rioli, Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Drew, Horne-Francis, Burton, Aliir, Jones, Williams, Byrne-Jones, Houston and Boak can win the flag this year.

I don't blame the players. I think they got as far as they were able to given the fact that they were hamstrung by shitty drafting from 2008-2012.

The point wasn't that we were good in 2018, the point was that every list is full of 1st and 2nd rounders and you exercise of naming where Richmond players were drafted as some sort of gotcha is silly. Every club has first round picks, every club has second rounds picks, every club has rookie picks who turn into stars. The idea that we simply didn't have the talent but Richmond did because a role player like David Astbury was taken at pick 35 in 2009 is laughable.

You can't argue that we didn't have the talent when we were 3 points away from a GF in 2014. That's a coin flip prelim against the eventual premiers. It's a laughable argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back