Saints - window officially shut

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon the hyperbole (warranted tho it is), but after the hardest four game schedule in the history of victorian clubs the saints put in the bravest of efforts.
The stars had perfectly aligned for Richmond - full of confidence and momentum such as we haven't seen for many years. Against a team out on it's feet after 4 games in 18 days. Saints didn't have the energy to press effectively and shut down, nor the energy to stick tackles - hence the high scoring game. No ruckmen, our best defender out, our most reliable defender played ruck (bar in the third where he blanketed jack.r), one tall forward out, our only ruck out.
But the outs, though significant, we're not the reason for the loss - it simply came down to exhaustion.
Yet still we came back twice from the dead. Only when we had absolutely nothing in the tank at all did Richmond finally kill us off.

Great game by both teams. Great effort saints - on any other day you would've won that convincingly.
Now you get a rest of sorts (two interstate games in a row - the second off yet another 6 day break?).

Cool story bra. Losers make excuses.

I'm just going by current form and past form against the Saints. I'll always back us against Saints & Bulldogs and never against Hawks & Collingwood.... make of that what you will.

We were your bunnies under Ross, apart from an out of the blue Round 22 match in 2008 and a sold win in early 2009.

But wonder if things will be different under Watters, considering the new game plan and the fact we actually have pace on our side now.

We'll find out in a few weeks anyway!

Respond to my comments with an actual argument and I'll happily discuss.

They went in to the season deficient in ruck and key defence options. They were never going to win the falg anyway so its not the end of the world, but they certainly have no cover for Fisher and more importantly McEvoy.

Appears I'm alone in this sentiment, but I feel even more bullish about our chances this year after last night.

It's not like Ben and Fisher have fallen off the ends of the earth, they are not LTI and they are coming back, and soon.

Ideally, it would be great to win the next two before the bye, however feeling really optimistic about the second half of the season.

Ben, Fisher and Jarryn have to be in the best 22, that is concrete, Stanley and Schneider will probably have to push someone out.

Good win by the Tiges, but they are running at full strength and at their optimum IMO, and should be beating sides.

Saints have plenty of upside, and will be there when the whips are cracking.

Against a team out on it's feet after 4 games in 18 days.

Richmond 4 games in 20 days, 5 in 26. Find another excuse.

St.Kilda needs to be contending for the premiership with its list profile, but has fielded the five oldest losing teams of 2012. Bringing back another 28yo in Schneider is not the way forward. A good effort last night, but the crunch is coming.

If Hayes, Riewoldt, Kozi, Goddard, Dal Santo, etc were 2-3 years younger I reckon they would have been think at the end of this year about trading for a big defender and another ruckman. But now it doesn't seem the logical choice. They should bank their picks, go through 2-3 years of pain and come back again with guys like Stanley, Armitage, Steven, etc all in their prime with a bunch of young gun picks.

I would be look to trade as much as I could at the end of this year if I was St Kilda - Dal Santo, Gram, Gwilt, Kozi, Dempster, etc would all have some value

Smallest injury list in the AFL.

You constant dislike of the Saints is amusing.

It is not the number of injured players, but the number of players who would be first 22 that are out, and also more importantly the quality of those.

Fisher is in our top 3 players. In addition with Zac gone his importance as tall defender increased.

Schneider led the club for goal assists. Is very creative and makes our midfield deeper.

BOTH our only ruckam!!! Also anyone that saw the Saints this year with Stanley will have noted what a major difference he made the structure.

Those 4 make a big difference.

Geary was out too...but his impact is less.

Gameplan

You can see that players are now getting used to the Watters gameplan. This will only get better as the year progress.

Sad and Milera: while not kids, it is their first year of AFL. You can see how they are getting used to it, and importantly their team-mates to them. You could really see how now that Saad is meshing with his team-mates. In his first game he was sprinting everywhere, but was not integrating with his team-mates. He now is.

One never knows what injuries are over the horizon, but is most of those come out come back in then come Sept the Saints will be up and about.
Now at present, other teams will be up and about as well and so it promises to be a cracking September.

If Hayes, Riewoldt, Kozi, Goddard, Dal Santo, etc were 2-3 years younger I reckon they would have been think at the end of this year about trading for a big defender and another ruckman. But now it doesn't seem the logical choice. They should bank their picks, go through 2-3 years of pain and come back again with guys like Stanley, Armitage, Steven, etc all in their prime with a bunch of young gun picks.

I would be look to trade as much as I could at the end of this year if I was St Kilda - Dal Santo, Gram, Gwilt, Kozi, Dempster, etc would all have some value
When has a team trading out all their best players for picks ever worked? EVER?

Richmond 4 games in 20 days,
Good point. Your run of Saturday in Melbourne, Saturday in Melbourne, Saturday in Melbourne, Friday in Melbourne was a lot tougher than our Monday in Melbourne, Sunday in Perth, Saturday in Melbourne Friday in Melbourne.

Good point. Your run of Saturday in Melbourne, Saturday in Melbourne, Saturday in Melbourne, Friday in Melbourne was a lot tougher than our Monday in Melbourne, Sunday in Perth, Saturday in Melbourne Friday in Melbourne.

So your blaming your loss after hittiing the front with ten minutes to go, on a plane trip two weeks ago? Did jetlag hit in? Mysterious delayed effect?

The Monday game was at StKildas request by the way. You got the maximum possible break after that, considering it was a requested fixture.

I do think that the Saints' window is shut, they are not contenders but will be there abouts come the end of the season. I think they will finish 7th or 8th, but will not be a threat.

They are a lot better to watch now though.

So your blaming your loss after hittiing the front with ten minutes to go, on a plane trip two weeks ago? Did jetlag hit in? Mysterious delayed effect?

The Monday game was at StKildas request by the way. You got the maximum possible break after that, considering it was a requested fixture.
I'm not blaming the loss on that I'm just pointing out the stupidity of his post. Whether you think it affects performance or not, you can't compare the two fixtures over the last few weeks.

Just to clairify your second paragraph, after the Monday game we got the ONLY possible break followed by the minimum possible break followed by the minimum possible break.

Just keep reciting "6 day breaks" until the draft and you'll be right. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not blaming the loss on that I'm just pointing out the stupidity of his post. Whether you think it affects performance or not, you can't compare the two fixtures over the last few weeks.

Just to clairify your second paragraph, after the Monday game we got the ONLY possible break followed by the minimum possible break followed by the minimum possible break.

The minimum possible break is 5. Although there has been a 4 this year. Six is not an issue. I'm sure the Saints admin love Friday night footy at Etihad. Its good exposure and good television, good money and good ratings. Do the maths. How can you get from a Monday game to a plum Friday night game without six day breaks? Do you want to be playing Sundays all year so you can gradually "pace yourselves into a Friday game? If the club is that worried about 6 day breaks (which they arent, its just you) they should give up the Monday game to some other team who would appreciate it.

And yes, the Richmond fixture was very similar to the StKilda fixture.

Richmond 4 games in 20 days, 5 in 26. Find another excuse.

St.Kilda needs to be contending for the premiership with its list profile, but has fielded the five oldest losing teams of 2012. Bringing back another 28yo in Schneider is not the way forward. A good effort last night, but the crunch is coming.

Yea yea yea, crunch is coming. I'd love to play Richmond again.

Richmond had no real bigs out. Our backline was weak, and no ruck.

I wouldn't want to rely on Jack to kick 8 goals every week either.

The minimum possible break is 5. Although there has been a 4 this year. Six is not an issue. I'm sure the Saints admin love Friday night footy at Etihad. Its good exposure and good television, good money and good ratings. Do the maths. How can you get from a Monday game to a plum Friday night game without six day breaks? Do you want to be playing Sundays all year so you can gradually "pace yourselves into a Friday game? If the club is that worried about 6 day breaks (which they arent, its just you) they should give up the Monday game to some other team who would appreciate it.
I believe it's six days unless the players sign off on it and it can't be accommodated with the normal Friday - Sunday fixtures due to an AFLPA directive. And yes I'm sure the Saints admin like a Friday night game but it didn't have to be three weeks (18 days actually) after our Monday night fixture.
And yes, the Richmond fixture was very similar to the StKilda fixture.
You actually write some interesting thought provoking stuff. Then you throw in something like that and you are surprised when others call you a troll.

I believe it's six days unless the players sign off on it and it can't be accommodated with the normal Friday - Sunday fixtures due to an AFLPA directive. And yes I'm sure the Saints admin like a Friday night game but it didn't have to be three weeks (18 days actually) after our Monday night fixture.

Dont ask for a Monday fixture then. You cant aske for a Monday "blockbuster", and ask for heaps of Fridays, then expect them all to be neatly packaged for you. It doesnt work that way.

Richmonds fixture was similar, albeit wthout travel two weeks ago. Both teams came in with similar preparations

Dont ask for a Monday fixture then. You cant aske for a Monday "blockbuster", and ask for heaps of Fridays, then expect them all to be neatly packaged for you. It doesnt work that way.

Richmonds fixture was similar, albeit wthout travel two weeks ago. Both teams came in with similar preparations
Monday Sunday Saturday Friday is similar to Saturday Saturday Saturday Friday?

I guess they rhyme.

Do Saints fans EVER just accept a loss without complaining about something?

So if you had longer breaks and the umpires weren't (apparently) conspiring against your team and blah blah blah you'd be on top, 10 - 0 with a % of 220.. right?

Okay, maybe a Monday night game has to be followed by a six day break - that's absolutely fine. BUT, they don't have to send us to Perth; they don't have to give us another six day break the following week and they don't have to give us a third consecutive six day break either!

That's fair enough to complain about and I understand why we getso upset about it.

Personally I don't think it had any bearing on the match except we were run off our feet down back, but that was more to do with the physicality of the match rather than restricted rest periods.

The same thing happened in 2006 and like this we damn near won all four games. We finished four points shy of port at aami in round four on Monday night; lost by a point to Freo and had our chances to LEGITIMATELY steal the game the following Sunday; bounced back to beat the bulldogs the following saturday and had a shot at goal ten metres out with five minutes remaining against Geelong the following Friday. We lost those two games because of not being able to cope with a flooding style of football and some terrific football by the dockers in the first three quarters at aurora.

Same this time, beat Carlton, got to within three goals and shot at goal to bring it to less but missed against west coast sox days later; beat Sydney and actually hit the lead against Richmond but couldn't hold on. In the end, like in 2006, the two losses were not because of six day breaks or travel or anything but because of better opposition on the day.

It may have had some effect on out fitness but didn't decide if we won or loss.

I'd just like to close the book on six day breaks.

Getting back to the point, nobody is giving me an answer.

If you believe our window is truly shut, how long will it take st Kilda to get back up there?

And are we going to slide down the ladder or just hang about and become irrelevant for x amount of years.

Answers and reasons.

If you think we're cooked, why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints - window officially shut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back