Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Unchanged for me unless the changes are forced upon us with injuries.

I don't think Bock will be back this week. To be honest, I think he won't play again this year.

So I would stick with the same side that pantsed Carlton. It is the strongest team we have fielded this year IMHO. Only missing Bock and arguably Moran.

Bellchambers to get the call up?

Yep and clearly they don't remotely rate him as they've been playing Hooker un the ruck and with out looking at his stats i'd say he's no giant!

Also in the whole time I have lived in Melbourne I have never heard bombers fans concede defeat before a match has even started (if you live in the northern suburbs you have to deal with their constant dribble about how they are the best side going around :rolleyes: and they hunt in packs too...), so its good that we get a week of nothing from essendon supporters before finals- having said all of that I will cry if we lose!:eek:

Interesting injury update from the club...

http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/83959/default.aspx

- Bock looking more and more likely to be gone for the year. Davis, Walker and Moran need to get/keep up to speed in case a tall gets injured.

- Mackay and van Berlo looking likely to play, though I'll never count Mackay as an 'in' until i see him run out as he seems to have the recuperative powers of a geriatric with multiple co-morbidities (yet when he is fit he is a sensation!).

- Moran in full training this week! Much needed for rucking depth. So which way will they go? Play for West this week (maybe not a full game), simply rely on training form and intensity and push for selection next week, or would the selectors make an unfair call on Sellar knowing Moran is the better option when up and running and give Moran a 30-40%TOG hit out against a depleted Essendon before facing up to Wood (who killed Maric/Sellar overall)/Fraser or King/Gardiner (haven't checked their fitness)?

For mine, if Moran was fit and Sellar underperforming I'd risk it and bring him in asap but after Sellar's last match, Moran should resume with West under match conditions and try to prove he should come in next week.

Would be good if Moran can play a half in the SANFL ressies this week, just to see how things go.

I'm positive on Bocky, but Davis would want to be cherry in the next couple of weeks.

Unlucky, grossly unfair, what ever you want to call it, neither deserves the vitriolic "must be dropped for bock, no 2 ways about it" speel you were giving before.
I know we can't field 23 players, you patronising bast.rd, you can just excuse me for feeling sorry for whoever gets eventually dropped, because there are 23 players who deserve to be there.
I think the idea of quotation marks is that they're meant to contain something that was actually said or written; not made up / imagined by you. I agreed with you that I didn't think Bock was going to make it back this week (I'll be happily surprised if we see him again this year), but this is a thread to discuss what might happen at selection. In the unlikely event that Bock comes up and Mackay and vB are good to go, then who is it that makes way? Apparently it can be anybody except Reilly or Symes; two superstars of the game who've made themselves untouchable to the selectors :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every week someone on here suggests that Stevens should be dropped. IMO it doesn't matter if Bock or JC himself are available for selection, Stevo will not make way. He is far more important to this side than some people realise.
Reilly would be the one to go, I think.
Doubt if Moran will come in for Sellar this week after not playing for 8 weeks. Great to have him available again. Our depth for this finals campaign is looking okay.

I give him a 1% chance of playing even up to 80% of his best this year, if at all:(

Thankfully Stevens is 80% the CHB, but there is a flow on effect.

Stevens is at least as good defensively, he's just not as creative or skillful. While a fit Bock would improve us, it's not as big of an out as some would have you believe.

Let me clarify, in no way was I suggesting he be dropped.

I just worrk about his pace/strength combo on Riewoldt. I much rather see Stevo infront or Riewoldt in the hole etc.

Let me clarify, in no way was I suggesting he be dropped.
I just worrk about his pace/strength combo on Riewoldt. I much rather see Stevo infront or Riewoldt in the hole etc.

I didn't think you were. There were a few suggestions made by others earlier in the thread.
I agree that Stevens is much better as 3rd tall, but in the absence of Bock he is our best bet at CHB. I also agree about Roowy, but then I'd worry about anyone on him. I guess if it comes to pass then the coaching staff will have a strategy to minimise his influence.

I didn't think you were. There were a few suggestions made by others earlier in the thread.
I agree that Stevens is much better as 3rd tall, but in the absence of Bock he is our best bet at CHB. I also agree about Roowy, but then I'd worry about anyone on him. I guess if it comes to pass then the coaching staff will have a strategy to minimise his influence.
I'd like to see Otten goto him as soon as he leaves the 50, Stevo to get him inside and Andy to sit the hole.

Bock is obviously ideal, but Otten will make him accountable when on the wings and won't get abused as much as Stevo would on a 200 meter lead.

I'd really wanna see Maric, Sellar, Tippett etc bump, tackle very hard and make life very uncomfortable for him (if we play them ;)). Seeing as we wont have a 1 on 1 match up for him without Bock, it will be a real team effort.

Bringing in Davis and releasing Stevo forward or as 3rd tall and Otten to the mid is an option, though finding someone to drop is hard atm.

Davis would be a better match up on attributes, but I don't think you debut a guy for that purpose.

But first, Essendon, where no change is likely.

Unlucky, grossly unfair, what ever you want to call it, neither deserves the vitriolic "must be dropped for bock, no 2 ways about it" speel you were giving before.
I know we can't field 23 players, you patronising bast.rd, you can just excuse me for feeling sorry for whoever gets eventually dropped, because there are 23 players who deserve to be there.

I think the idea of quotation marks is that they're meant to contain something that was actually said or written; not made up / imagined by you. I agreed with you that I didn't think Bock was going to make it back this week (I'll be happily surprised if we see him again this year), but this is a thread to discuss what might happen at selection. In the unlikely event that Bock comes up and Mackay and vB are good to go, then who is it that makes way? Apparently it can be anybody except Reilly or Symes; two superstars of the game who've made themselves untouchable to the selectors :cool:

Wow, I really should not post when I'm annoyed, my post was pretty bad :eek:

Doesn't help that you're soo bloody partonising though...

John Reid being interview live at training on Nine News just declared Nathan Bock an 80-85% chance of playing this week.

Certainly a pleasant headache to have at the selection table. I just hope we aren't rushing him back and risking playing a man down or losing him for the remainder of the finals should we progress past this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Selections - Elimination Final v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back