Coach North under Alastair Clarkson

Should North be merged into the new Tasmanian team?

• Yes

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Let's see what North do in the next three years

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically it's not sustainable to have so many teams in Melbourne if we want a truly national competition at some stage instead of this half arsed extension of the old VFL.

I don't particularly want to see people lose their clubs but I think the AFL missed an opportunity by not relocating teams to the GC and Tassie when the opportunity was here.

It's not too late to go to the GC and become the GC Kangaroos.

The Sun's brand is rubbish anyways. No loss ditching it.
Nope, didn't want it then, don't want it now.

What is this obsession AFL supporters have from deleting other people's clubs from existence? Would never see it elsewhere. Pretty poor all around tbh.

It's actually a serious issue now with North. They are the worst last 100 game team in history, and next year isn't looking to be any better.
I think it's the best solution for the AFL, reasons being.
1. With an existing Melbourne and Tasmanian supporter base, this will help the new Tasmanian side with support and membership.
2. It will make the competition 18 teams.
3. It will allow the Tasmanian team to be more competitive from the get go, rather than having an under 20s team for the first couple of years. The addition of the good North players around the young kids will help the team immensely, and keep a better age profile.
4. The addition of Clarkson as a senior coach will be a bonus.
5. With there being less of a strain on the young kids in the draft going to Tasmania, it will help ensure any other teams at the bottom of the ladder can still get some decent talent in.

I think it's got to a point where this needs to be a serious conversation moving forward.
I think Adelaide should Merge with Tasmania.

1. With existing Adelaide and Tasmanian supporter base, this will help the new Tasmanian side with support and membership.

2. It will make the competition 18 teams

3. It will allow the Adelaide team to be more competitive from the get go, rather than just a team of mediocrity, the youth from Tassie will help the team immensely.

4. The removal of Nicks will be a bonus.

5.with there being less of a strain of kids going to Adelaide, it will help ensure any other teams at the bottom of the ladder can still get some decent talent in.

Realistically it's not sustainable to have so many teams in Melbourne if we want a truly national competition at some stage instead of this half arsed extension of the old VFL.

I don't particularly want to see people lose their clubs but I think the AFL missed an opportunity by not relocating teams to the GC and Tassie when the opportunity was here.
Relocating a team to Tassie was almost a guaranteed way to ensure failure for a generation at least - because Tasmanians already support an existing AFL side and no way they are going to support North Melbourne parading as the team representing their state.

The only way to maximise the chance of early acceptance and success was to have a stand alone side.

I can't believe that this still needs to be explained.

Last edited:

Been saying the same thing for years.

Time to relocate North Melbourne to the ACT (Canberra Kangaroos) and give them a few extra draft concessions for doing so.

Even though the Giants have had some sort of relationship with Canberra, they need to focus solely on building their brand thoughout the western suburbs of Sydney whilst the competition needs a full-time team in Canberra too.

I think Adelaide should Merge with Tasmania.

1. With existing Adelaide and Tasmanian supporter base, this will help the new Tasmanian side with support and membership.

2. It will make the competition 18 teams

3. It will allow the Adelaide team to be more competitive from the get go, rather than just a team of mediocrity, the youth from Tassie will help the team immensely.

4. The removal of Nicks will be a bonus.

5.with there being less of a strain of kids going to Adelaide, it will help ensure any other teams at the bottom of the ladder can still get some decent talent in.
When Adelaide is as poorly performed as North for as long, we can have that chat.
When Adelaide can't sell memberships, and can't get sponsored, we can have that chat.
When Adelaide can't make a profit without AFL dividends, we can have that chat.

When Adelaide is as poorly performed as North for as long, we can have that chat.
When Adelaide can't sell memberships, and can't get sponsored, we can have that chat.
When Adelaide can't make a profit without AFL dividends, we can have that chat.
Their streak of missing finals is only 1 more than Adelaides. Adelaide have been the worst ranked South Australian side for the last 7 seasons and I'm starting to wonder if South Australia is just too small for 2 clubs.

It's actually a serious issue now with North. They are the worst last 100 game team in history, and next year isn't looking to be any better.
I think it's the best solution for the AFL, reasons being.
1. With an existing Melbourne and Tasmanian supporter base, this will help the new Tasmanian side with support and membership.
2. It will make the competition 18 teams.
3. It will allow the Tasmanian team to be more competitive from the get go, rather than having an under 20s team for the first couple of years. The addition of the good North players around the young kids will help the team immensely, and keep a better age profile.
4. The addition of Clarkson as a senior coach will be a bonus.
5. With there being less of a strain on the young kids in the draft going to Tasmania, it will help ensure any other teams at the bottom of the ladder can still get some decent talent in.

I think it's got to a point where this needs to be a serious conversation moving forward.
The crows could merge with Tassie, they are a very average club.

Any club that survived covid can survive a bad run of win-loss. If there was any appetite for any team to merge, fold or relocate the TV networks would've shown their hand on the upcoming deal that's about to start next season. Given there was zero agitation for it means you can literally take every existing club to the bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate all this talk of relocating Vic clubs. F*** relocation! Fold and create anew.

Fitzroy's identity was mutilated when the Brisbane Lions came. Aggressively shafted out out of home and merged with equal respect to the mighty Bears est 1987. The Roys' century plus history was on par with a basketcase shitheap whose moniker was a ****ing misnomer. Fitzroy's coffin was looted and shat in. We get up in arms about our uniform, but jeez, imagine how these poor sods felt.

If a team, say.... North Melbourne, aren't deserving of their place in the AFL as they stand right now, then fold them. Why force them upon a populace deserving of its own team? That would be like shitting in North Melbourne's mouth and then forcing them to spit it into a Tasmania beaming with forced gratitude. It's disgusting and just another case of Vicbias.

All these relocations are just another reason for Victorians to pretend footy history is Vic-only. Sydney are always "the Bloods" in finals or in close games because you just HAVE to make it about Victoria and now they're ****ing wearing South Melbourne jumpers in Victoria as well. Brisbane wear Fitzroy coloured jumpers too.

We shouldn't consider the relocation of a Vic club. What we need to do is create a brand new Tasmanian identity from scratch.

Very reliant on Tassie for a good chunk of their income. That will disappear soon. 13 wins in their last 100 games, worse than any University or Fitzroy death knell sides.

The worm will turn eventually because you simply cannot have five consecutive years of bottom two finishes, plus priority picks, plus the classic Pick 3 for McKay debacle, and not eventually have too much talent. They’ll climb soon, they can’t not.

As for replacing the money - drop the ‘Melbourne’, 75/25 split with games in the NT, North Kangaroos, cheers AFL that’ll be $1m in consulting fees.

I hate all this talk of relocating Vic clubs. F*** relocation! Fold and create anew.

Fitzroy's identity was mutilated when the Brisbane Lions came. Aggressively shafted out out of home and merged with equal respect to the mighty Bears est 1987. The Roys' century plus history was on par with a basketcase shitheap whose moniker was a ****ing misnomer. Fitzroy's coffin was looted and shat in. We get up in arms about our uniform, but jeez, imagine how these poor sods felt.

If a team, say.... North Melbourne, aren't deserving of their place in the AFL as they stand right now, then fold them. Why force them upon a populace deserving of its own team? That would be like shitting in North Melbourne's mouth and then forcing them to spit it into a Tasmania beaming with forced gratitude. It's disgusting and just another case of Vicbias.

All these relocations are just another reason for Victorians to pretend footy history is Vic-only. Sydney are always "the Bloods" in finals or in close games because you just HAVE to make it about Victoria and now they're ****ing wearing South Melbourne jumpers in Victoria as well. Brisbane wear Fitzroy coloured jumpers too.

We shouldn't consider the relocation of a Vic club. What we need to do is create a brand new Tasmanian identity from scratch.
I think the thing with a merger is that they can give the new club all the players, resources and IP that the minnow club has.
How would the AFL deal with ending a club that has a heap of contracted people playing for it? The lawsuits would be endless

Or, the AFL gives each club the same dividend, and if a shit club can't survive on their own then they fold.
I’ll sign up for that on the spot, but the reality is the AFL will never fold or merge another club, even though very clearly they should here on the cusp of Tassie joining.

I think the thing with a merger is that they can give the new club all the players, resources and IP that the minnow club has.
How would the AFL deal with ending a club that has a heap of contracted people playing for it? The lawsuits would be endless
Im sure there will be clubs happy to take contracts of the good players at North(even top them up a bit?), in return for draft picks that go to Tassy.

If any player isnt wanted by another club then just pay them out. Wouldnt be a particularly expensive venture

Any merger would mean some sort of connection to the North Melbourne of the past, it can't happen that way. It must be Tassie colours, a Tassie nickname and a fully Tasmanian team. North's only option for a merger is to head North! North Queensland or North Sydney? I don't think any of those options would happen either, one thing is for sure, North are now in serious trouble and their survival is looking very Fitzroy like...i hope nothing bad happens in the next 5 years?
North Sydney is somewhat plausible

Both clubs with 100k supporters Tigers and richmond are of need of assistance but the fat boy north can't stop eating the emergency food.

Something most be done to move the fat boy out of the way so both clubs can rebuild fast.

It's either relocation or both Tigers and wce need to use their profits to buy north up or let the fat boy stand on own two feet.

Afl need to understand either lose 40k north supporters or lose 200k supporters from wce and tigers

Agree, he does have the runs on the board, as having some initiative. Brad Scott did a lot of damage before he left.
They went backwards this year.

Arguably their best footy over Clarkson’s tenure was played when Ratten was in charge.

Nothing has gone right since Carey and Pagan left. Their culture became soft again and has never recovered. North in the mid-late 90s were an absolute beast who I envied. Never get rid of good coaches just because. Most good coaches are control freaks on some level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach North under Alastair Clarkson

Back