Review Slow starting Cats come storming home to defeat Tigers by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

1 thing he couldn't understand is.. Why Hardie and Mannagh aren't getting a game.
He said Mannagh shouldn't of even got dropped to start with.

And he said with Match selections, Chris Scott has his favourites and doesn't pick players that who deserve there chances
Everybody has players they rate more than others, I wouldn't say it necessarily means favouritism on a personal level.
Scott doesn't personally pick the team, btw.

FWIW, some players are obviously picked somewhat ahead of their time on raw talent (Jhye Clark, Mullin, Holmes, Conway, Duncan, Hawkins, Ratugolea, Blicavs, Cockatoo, Bruhn) and others ahead of more accomplished teammates because they fill a specific need (Close, Bews, Atkins, Kolo, Rohan, Kersten, Parsons). Doesn't make the selection biased or wrong.

Whether they've been shit or not is irrelevant. They consider themselves a secret society who are the true powerbrokers and the most important part of the AFL match, without whom the game just can't go on. They are accountable only to themselves. First Scott call them out, then he called out their boss. They don't appreciate have the attention being brough their way. It is akin the just yelling calm down to someone who is fuming. They'll be out for blood.

This you Steve McBurnie 🤣🤣.
OK boys ....keep it up.
Good job chaps.

Agree with all of these comments.

Still, AFL, especially their umpiring department, believe they’re infallible like the Pope + are beyond reproach. They’re irascible.

As a result of Scott’s criticism, do umpires take their revenge on the players? You be the judge.

Rd1 St Kilda - Home (H)
G14 - 18 Home (H)

Rd 2 Adelaide - Away (A)
18 - 9G

Rd 3 Hawthorn A
21 - 20G

Rd 4 Bulldogs A
16 - 14G

Rd 5 North H
14G - 17

Rd 6 Brisbane A
19 - 15G

Rd 7 Carlton H
10G - 14

Rd 8 Melbourne A
17 - 14G

Rd 9 Port Adelaide H
17G - 19

Rd 10 Suns A (I think this is when Scott first criticised umpires, happy to be corrected)
14 - 29G

Rd 11 GWS H
19G - 14

Rd 12 Richmond
19G - 20
Last night in Q1 free kicks were 0 - 9. At the end of the game they were 20 - 19
They just rewarded for doing a 💩 job.

Still, AFL, especially their umpiring department, believe they’re infallible like the Pope + are beyond reproach. They’re irascible.

As a result of Scott’s criticism, do umpires take their revenge on the players? You be the judge.

Rd1 St Kilda - Home (H)
G14 - 18 Home (H)

Rd 2 Adelaide - Away (A)
18 - 9G

Rd 3 Hawthorn A
21 - 20G

Rd 4 Bulldogs A
16 - 14G

Rd 5 North H
14G - 17

Rd 6 Brisbane A
19 - 15G

Rd 7 Carlton H
10G - 14

Rd 8 Melbourne A
17 - 14G

Rd 9 Port Adelaide H
17G - 19

Rd 10 Suns A (I think this is when Scott first criticised umpires, happy to be corrected)
14 - 29G

Rd 11 GWS H
19G - 14

Rd 12 Richmond
19G - 20
Last night in Q1 free kicks were 0 - 9. At the end of the game they were 20 - 19
What that doesn't point out is that during the GCS match for example the free kicks were wildly in their favour early when there was heat in the game and we only got free kicks late in the game.

Everybody has players they rate more than others, I wouldn't say it necessarily means favouritism on a personal level.

FWIW, some players are obviously picked somewhat ahead of their time on raw talent (Jhye Clark, Mullin, Holmes, Conway, Duncan, Hawkins, Ratugolea, Blicavs, Cockatoo, Bruhn) and others ahead of more accomplished teammates because they fill a specific need (Close, Bews, Atkins, Kolo, Rohan, Kersten, Parsons). Doesn't make the selection biased or wrong.
Something I’ve always wondered about TBH. You can imagine a strong MC might make the calls and overrule the head coach, but equally wouldn’t be surprised (particularly for a coach of Scott’s tenure and ability) if he basically just submitted his team sheet for their sign off, and maybe occasionally got questioned about choices. A case to be made for both methods as long as the side picked is performing.

Scott has the final say as his the head coach! At times he does get it wrong... And I can remember the times he dropped Stanley against the Richmond teams, were everyone knew at the time Chris Scott got that wrong..
And the time we played Blitz on the wing in the finals , he got it wrong..

And I'm not getting in a argument. I was just saying what this ex player said...

I suspect he's only now going to come in when Conway needs a break. They've shown faith in Conway now despite a couple of games where he's been beaten but not humiliated. it's the right move IMO

Id say that. And stanley wanted to retire last year so when the club convinced him to play on he knew it would be largely backup. He will play some weeks because scott said conway needs to be managed but no way does stanley play finals.

Scott has the final say as his the head coach! At times he does get it wrong
No, he doesn't have "final say". If everyone else said no, and Scott said yes, then they're going with the "no".

He might have a casting vote in case of a hung jury, but you would not have such a thing as a match committee if you had absolute signoff.

This isn't the 70s

Just a couple of observations . i think Kolo ( who does look super fit ) has gone way past J Henry as a backman

What i like about Kolo ( and that was a ripper Ablett jnr type goal he kicked last week against GWS ) is he attacks the contest at top pace , with a bit of will and at speed , where as J Henry is too prop and cop , slow motion type stiuff , to me he hasnt got the urgency that Kolo has got at the contest

I hope Kolo is allright for the Swans game , because in that unfortunate incident where the Rich forward hurt his knee , J Henry has accidently come down and given the old pile driver into Kolos head - and he was in gah gah land after that hit

Funny thing is , given the recent poor form , but if Patrick is right to go . its going to be very difficult picking this weeks Geel team , who also comes in apart from Blicavs and who makes way for them

Are we seriously back to the old ‘Chris Scott is this… Chris Scott is that… Chris Scott plays favourites… Chris Scott is a dictator…’
Fan based is spoiled for success and Chris Scott can somehow never get it right even though he’s won us two flags and has the best winning percentage in coaching history.

Just because a player played 200 games, doesn’t mean he actually knows anything and opinions are like assholes.

Bluey McGrath used to bitch and moan about the way the club was going with Bomber Thompson, got proven very wrong.

I’d like to see Mannagh, Hardie, Humphrey, Willis all get a shot but Who comes out? Parfitt dominated in the VFL, he’s ahead of Hardie and is on the fringe.
Both times Mackie has been asked about Hardie, he’s hardly been pumping up his tires, said that he’s behind others and our midfield is deep but of a similar level.

Are we seriously back to the old ‘Chris Scott is this… Chris Scott is that… Chris Scott plays favourites… Chris Scott is a dictator…’
Fan based is spoiled for success and Chris Scott can somehow never get it right even though he’s won us two flags and has the best winning percentage in coaching history.

Just because a player played 200 games, doesn’t mean he actually knows anything and opinions are like assholes.

Bluey McGrath used to bitch and moan about the way the club was going with Bomber Thompson, got proven very wrong.

I’d like to see Mannagh, Hardie, Humphrey, Willis all get a shot but Who comes out? Parfitt dominated in the VFL, he’s ahead of Hardie and is on the fringe.
Both times Mackie has been asked about Hardie, he’s hardly been pumping up his tires, said that he’s behind others and our midfield is deep but of a similar level.

I would give Humphrey a shot ahead of Mullin personally. Hard to see Hardie getting a run if they didn't pick him this week. Danger, Guthrie, Blitz and Clark all in direct competition for a spot in the midfield and none of them available this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What that doesn't point out is that during the GCS match for example the free kicks were wildly in their favour early when there was heat in the game and we only got free kicks late in the game.
Yes! Exactly. That’s why I posted the rounds + free kicks, below posts about umpiring. Also said: you be the judge. The stats only tell a tiny bit of the story.

Yep the early calls were atrocious and definitely caused a few head drops from the players. Didn’t help.

Whether they've been shit or not is irrelevant. They consider themselves a secret society who are the true powerbrokers and the most important part of the AFL match, without whom the game just can't go on. They are accountable only to themselves. First Scott call them out, then he called out their boss. They don't appreciate have the attention being brough their way. It is akin the just yelling calm down to someone who is fuming. They'll be out for blood.
Yes! My point exactly! So infuriating!

Geelong crowds are known for being quiet + knitting. For our supporters to shout
🐂💩 everyone realises it was atrocious!

No, he doesn't have "final say". If everyone else said no, and Scott said yes, then they're going with the "no".

He might have a casting vote in case of a hung jury, but you would not have such a thing as a match committee if you had absolute signoff.

This isn't the 70s
Is this based on any knowledge of AFL club MCs or just your assumption? I was curious and google yielded this fairly recent interview with Mitchell which suggests the process is much more informal and that fundamentally their head coach does have the final say (1:50 on) -

I would give Humphrey a shot ahead of Mullin personally. Hard to see Hardie getting a run if they didn't pick him this week. Danger, Guthrie, Blitz and Clark all in direct competition for a spot in the midfield and none of them available this week.
Yeah but don't reckon Sydney in Sydney is a place to debut anyone you care about so happy to play Mullin this week.

Also not averse to him playing 2s midfield for a couple of weeks

This isn't the 70s
I'd be staggered if the senior coach doesn't have the final say at most clubs because end of the day if the team fails its the head coach who gets the sack.

Sure they probably trust the line coaches so its a non issue, but if Scott really wants Mullin in the team and King said give him a spell in the 2s we will be seeing Mullin in the team.

I'd be staggered if the senior coach doesn't have the final say at most clubs because end of the day if the team fails its the head coach who gets the sack.

Sure they probably trust the line coaches so its a non issue, but if Scott really wants Mullin in the team and King said give him a spell in the 2s we will be seeing Mullin in the team.

I wonder if it's like BF, with individuals around the table harping on their faves. So they swallow their animosity when the coach says I'm having Parfitt, for example. Then like Art, wait for Brandon to go off the boil to give the superior I told yas so, ya pack of coach loving couch potatoes..:)

Rd1 St Kilda - Home (H)
G14 - 18 Home (H)

Rd 2 Adelaide - Away (A)
18 - 9G

Rd 3 Hawthorn A
21 - 20G

Rd 4 Bulldogs A
16 - 14G

Rd 5 North H
14G - 17

Rd 6 Brisbane A
19 - 15G

Rd 7 Carlton H
10G - 14

Rd 8 Melbourne A
17 - 14G

Rd 9 Port Adelaide H
17G - 19

14 - 29G

Rd 11 GWS H
19G - 14

Rd 12 Richmond
19G - 20
As has been said before Hello Kitty when it is 17-5 against early on and we are getting smashed we get evener uppers later when it is too late. Been going on for years, and not only the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back