Review Slow starting Cats come storming home to defeat Tigers by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry has talent. Just feel he needs a different role. One that gets him more involved in the play. Maybe a winger who spends time up foward as an occassional marking option ala Menegola. Or maybe an attacking half back flank role like ken hinkley/mick mansfield/Paul Brown (players who also started as marking fowards but were too small for the role)
Yes, probably more suited to earlier era type of football.
Can’t see him as a backman and not a good enough tank for wing/MF
Might end up like a Houlihan or Ryan gamble.
Trying to take speccies all the time limits his second efforts. Can’t see the coaches being too happy with that.
He does manage to hit the scoreboard regularly though.
A dry spell in the scoring department may see him relegated.

Duncan's kicking is an asset on the G too though where space opens up. The game against Carlton was a good example. Duncan will struggle when our team are not in rhythm but then if that's the case we will be losing anyway. You can't just stack your team with players who might perform better if we are being dominated. You need to maintain your strengths and be proactive. Every time we make a comeback Duncan is there getting our game going.

Tend to agree with all this.

Do you think Mitch will play on next year? I feel like the club will still want to stagger the retirements of our older guys, and with Stanley, Tuohy, Hawkins, and Bews all nigh-on locks to hang up the boots (and Rohan a possibility as well), I suspect Duncan will go around one last time. Both because the club won't want the experience exodus to be too overwhelming, and because he's still capable of playing at a reasonable level when the game is on our terms.

I still would have posted how shit it is if Lefau has done his ACL

I don't like to see injuries to any player, regardless of the player

And we've had players who in marking contests have jumped into an opponent, causing injury - back in 2011 when Hawkins could jump, he collected Toovey in a messy looking marking contest with the two players coming from opposite directions. Toovey was stretchered off & taken straight to hospital, but thankfully it was found the worse of the injuries was bruising to the chest

But this is what he looked like when being stretchered off

View attachment 2007950

So don't care who it is, don't like seeing injuries, especially season ending ones
Perfectly expressed, cats09

1717307172618.png

Lonergan was injured in a marking contest against Melbourne, had a kidney removed then spent five to six days in an induced coma to help his body recover.

We've experienced the horror or injury.

Do you think Mitch will play on next year? I feel like the club will still want to stagger the retirements of our older guys, and with Stanley, Tuohy, Hawkins, and Bews all nigh-on locks to hang up the boots (and Rohan a possibility as well), I suspect Duncan will go around one last time. Both because the club won't want the experience exodus to be too overwhelming, and because he's still capable of playing at a reasonable level when the game is on our terms.
I agree with your thoughts.

I'd expect Duncan to go again unless there is a bad injury or his form for the rest of the year was at its worst (i.e the Melbourne game and first half of Port...if he is consistently like that then he would consider retirement I'd say).

He has to accept that a more peripheral contribution is on the cards where he may even be pushed out. I'd say Tuohy 2024 is a good comparison. Maybe subbing on when the pace of the game is off at times.

But I endorse the staggering of retirements generally. The ones you mentioned moving on is enough, even if one or two who remain are more in support roles.

Duncan's kicking is an asset on the G too though where space opens up. The game against Carlton was a good example. Duncan will struggle when our team are not in rhythm but then if that's the case we will be losing anyway. You can't just stack your team with players who might perform better if we are being dominated. You need to maintain your strengths and be proactive. Every time we make a comeback Duncan is there getting our game going.
It is an asset but modern footy is far more about turnover scores and speed of ball movement than 5 years ago. You can have one or two of these slow types but no more which is why teams stack their back half with run and carry guys.
So for example you cant have duncan and tuohy in the same backline and come finals i doubt we will. You also need wingers who can push back hard and fast on turnover to cover any slower guys.

I think we'll need a few to start on just to absorb cap so we don't overpay young players

It is an asset but modern footy is far more about turnover scores and speed of ball movement than 5 years ago. You can have one or two of these slow types but no more which is why teams stack their back half with run and carry guys.
So for example you cant have duncan and tuohy in the same backline and come finals i doubt we will. You also need wingers who can push back hard and fast on turnover to cover any slower guys.
Well that's why I haven't been a fan of having Tuohy out there at the same time, even though he is still capable of the odd good moment/game. You can't surround slowness with slowness. But at least Duncan is prolific and his effective disposal counts remain elite.

I'd be dropping Tuohy and one of the talls for Dangerfield and Blicavs. And I'd like to squeeze Mannagh in somehow, even if just for a few games to see how he goes. Maybe for Mullin.

If O.Henry is out, something like this:

FB: J.Henry SDK Zuthrie
HB: Stewart Kolo Duncan
C: Cameron Bruhn Dempsey
HF: Miers Neale Close
FF: Stengle Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Conway Holmes Dangerfield
IC: Bowes Atkins Blicavs Mannagh O'Connor(sub)

Last edited:
Only chance we have is if the swans still have mental demons with us, which they very well may have after the humiliation in the 2022 GF and then an almost 100pt flogging early last year in Geelong.
An interesting perspective. Those two reasons might be the motivation to annihilate us.

At the time it felt like Stengle was happy to take the risk of having a shot & if it went through all good, but if it didn't that they'd then call it back - only thing is they didn't call it back

It's kinda funny how that was deemed ok as play on but a few weeks ago when Cameron got on the end of the kick from Clark and soccered through a goal, they called it back deeming "no advantage"
Schrödinger's Free Kick : Simultaneously an advantage and disadvantage.
Only get to find out after it's taken.
Only way to ensure an advantage is not to take it.... unless certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duncan will be shy of 300 games at the end of this year. I think he's done, but I reckon he'll be given the chance to get to the milestone if he wants to.

Scott talked shit about the umpires again in the press conference 🤦‍♂️

Particularly liked the call when the Tigers player dived on the ball 5m out from our goal and got tackled by another Tigers player and they were too gutless to call the most obvious HTB ever under any interpretation of the HTB rule.

Scott talked shit about the umpires again in the press conference 🤦‍♂️
Oh great! :rolleyes:
There goes our ‘minusculerestest’,
slimmest chance of beating Sydney.

Umpires next week:

15. Matthew Nicholls
1717312046299.png

22. Nathan Williamson
1717312430553.png

32. Jacob Mollison
1717312559780.png

37. Martin Rodger
1717312166841.png

Reserve:
18. Ray ‘Razor’ Chamberlain
1717312772628.png

<KILL ME NOW>

Edit: Generalissimo is correct, not official umpires, my opinion about umpires who dislike Geelong the most.

Last edited:
At the time it felt like Stengle was happy to take the risk of having a shot & if it went through all good, but if it didn't that they'd then call it back - only thing is they didn't call it back

It's kinda funny how that was deemed ok as play on but a few weeks ago when Cameron got on the end of the kick from Clark and soccered through a goal, they called it back deeming "no advantage"
I think they acknowledged they got it wrong last time, and Scott certainly claimed it should have been advantage. So the umpire did what we wanted and called advantage, and we lost out again.

Neale is a curious one. Our structure doesn't seem right with so many forwards, specifically KPFs. An extra midfielder/runner instead makes sense.

Yet if you look at Neale's output it hasn't been bad at all. 8 goals and 3 goal assists from 4 games (2.75 goals/assists per game).

9.5 disposals and 5 marks a game is perfectly fine for a forward playing his 6th-9th AFL games.

Then curiously, Hawkins has been back in the goals/assists (6 over his past 2 games) since Neale came into the side.

Is the experiment actually working?

Neale has done ok against the two worst teams in the competition.

Cameron's output has nose dived in the same period. Ollie Henry too.

Playing the 3 key forwards I think is an admission from CS that we can't win this year. Neale gets some developing games / Hawkins finishes the career with dignity. If we were ruthlessly looking to win the flag we wouldn't be playing both IMO.

I went into the season thinking we would be the 24 version of 23 St Kilda off the back of a kind fixture. Got the hopes up a little bit there that it would be more than that but we have flattened out and we will likely slide back down to being a fringe top 8 side by the end of the season.

Given the state of play we might as well pump games into Neale, Mullin, Conway, Clark etc even if they wouldn't necessarily make the team on merit.

Absolutely right, reception is terrible.

And why on earth did the club think it’s a good idea to have flashing lights after each goal like Marvel. It’s bloody horrible. No consultation with fans. Looks terrible on tv and awful at the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dangerous for epileptics 😩

Neale has done ok against the two worst teams in the competition.

Cameron's output has nose dived in the same period. Ollie Henry too.

Playing the 3 key forwards I think is an admission from CS that we can't win this year. Neale gets some developing games / Hawkins finishes the career with dignity. If we were ruthlessly looking to win the flag we wouldn't be playing both IMO.

I went into the season thinking we would be the 24 version of 23 St Kilda off the back of a kind fixture. Got the hopes up a little bit there that it would be more than that but we have flattened out and we will likely slide back down to being a fringe top 8 side by the end of the season.

Given the state of play we might as well pump games into Neale, Mullin, Conway, Clark etc even if they wouldn't necessarily make the team on merit.
Neale's stats are over the full 4 games, not just against the 2 bottom teams.

I'm not saying he's dominating at all, but most clubs would be happy with a very inexperienced (at AFL level) key forward ticking over the way he is.

His stat line looks better than the "eye test" but it's important to hit some of those markers in the meantime.

As for our prospects this year, who knows. Every side looks terrible or terribly inconsistent besides Sydney, who love choking on grand final day.

We have had 8 wins, 3 close losses and 1 mulligan in the NT. Yet we don't look that good. That says a lot about the comp.

The Sydney game will be tough, it's really an auto loss and 50/50 for an auto smashing for sides heading up there.

So the two imminent games I have my eyes on to assess where we are at are the two games at the G against Carlton/Essendon. Win both and we are a top 4 team. Win one of them and send the other to the wire and we are thereabouts for the top 4 chase. Lose both and we are fighting for 5th-8th only and even that could be a close run thing.

Good thing the Essendon game comes at pretty much the right time for their annual capitulation to us and subsequent slide out of the top 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Slow starting Cats come storming home to defeat Tigers by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back