Squad v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps Jericho can go away and actually show something at SANFL level that may warrant a recall into the crows first 22, until then badluck to him.

there would be no better game time than NAB cup games. I don't even know if Norwood are even playing games yet?

Why the hell has Jericho been dropped?

ok i can understand Jacky, those 2 games were to give him a taste of AFL and to give him a realisation of how much work he has to do. But dropping Jericho goes against why the coaching panel kept him in the first place!

They need to make a decision not these 1 or 2 games here and there and then we don't see him for another 6 months.

This is obviously Jerichos final make or break year, and he gets what..one NAB cup game?

NAB cup games in the scheme of things mean nothing, so NC why not just play him for the whole 4 weeks of NAB & trial games and then make your selection decision on him come Round 1.

I agree. :thumbsu:

Kris Massie will probably take on Lance Franklin?? Oh well if that happens, you're getting a :thumbsdown: Mr Craig!. You can't do that. You need to put Ben Rutten on him and rotate several players around him.

Weather conditions are going to be dry, cloudless and sunny before the sun sets. With the 6:40pm start the sun will be still up but it will set turning it into a twilight game. If Massie does play on Franklin. The Big Buddy is just going to be too good for a short player that is more suited as a half back. Put Rutten on Franklin because of his extra height and because he's physically strong and quick compared to the shorter Kris Massie.

I'm looking forward to the season once the H&A gets started. I think we can improve on last year's record and prove many people wrong. I liked the way we played against the Pies in week 1 of this Nab cup series. Hopefully we can win more close games this year (?) and especially win more home games. 8 home wins or more will be great. We don't have to play Collingwood at home this year which is another bonus so I see us improving at home. Going 15-7 will garuntee top 4.

I missed the joke. sorry about that. I guess after years on this board of seeing people rant and rave about nothing, sometimes you can miss things.:eek:

Not everyone can be a McLeod Goodwin etc. Yes they are backbone players but we can't have a side filled with kids. The exeperience of MAssie and Doughty will be priceless this year, especially with Torney gone.

Haha, we all miss a few jokes every now and then. Re: Massie and Doughty, I agree that their mature bodies and experience will be valuble for the younsters, but we have to get the balance right, IMO, that balance would involve 2 of Shirley, Massie and Doughty, they are all defensively minded backboners. At the moment, if we are serious about developing the youngsters, unless injury strikes, we should be playing as many youngsters as possible, without compromising too much on performance.

Time to move on and get over it.

I agree

there are some board members who are out right pathetic on this topic

Craig made the call based on current events, team struture and future opportunity.

if he had pulled Massie at qtr and let someone else get the 6 goals kicked on them i'm sure this boar would be full of people laughing at Craig for taking massie off him after he did such a good job keeping him to 1 goal :rolleyes:

I'm pretty happy with the mix in the team. There aren;t too many of the 2007 draftees who have been able to have a real crack at the pre-season I don't think. Cook, Armstrong and Kite have been injured and at this stage I wouldn;t play Dangerfield, although it would have been good to have seen him in Dubai before he went home. Otten was obviously close in the first two games and is probably the only other younger player who could have been given a go. Based on what i have seen, we have three blokes in line to make their AFL debut in round one - Tippett, Mackay and Sellar - so that would be a pretty good start especially if blokes like Porps,
Vince, Douglas, Griffin, Maric etc are also playing against the Dogs. It's a long season and I reckon Jacky, Otten and Walker will wear the Crows jumpoer before the end of the year.

Massie and Campbell dropped for tomorrow night – source FiveAA

Disappointed for Campbell.... hopefully Mass will be a walk up starter R1 (but he does need some game time. Will they both get to play at SANFL level trial matches on the weekend?

Actually, I would take the opposite view.

You have stated that 11 of our squad have little experience, this much is true. The flip side of your maths is that we have selected 17 players (out of 28) who DO have 30+ games experience. The AFC only have 19 players with 30+ games to their credit, in total, on our senior list. The only two who have not been selected this week are Biglands and Hentschel, both unavailable through injury. Of all the players on our list, with 30+ games of experience, every single one of them has been selected (other than the two who are MIA through injury).

It seems to me that Adelaide are dead serious about winning the MMC this
year (and rightly so considering that we have progressed to the semi finals). However, it appears that winning has taken priority over list development, as it did in 2005 & 2006. In a year when we have turned over more than 1/3 of our list (if you include rookies), we desperately need to be focussing more on the development (fast tracking) of our juniors.

In comparison to last week alone, we had Jacky & Jericho in the team, with Otten named in the squad (as an emergency). That's 3 youngsters who don't have an opportunity this week.

Now, there is a fair case that Jericho didn't deserve another game. He already has 26 games to his credit and at the age of 23 he's not a kid anymore. Jacky has had two games, he appears a very good prospect for the future but has clearly been out of his depth at this time. This leaves Otten - why has he not been given an opportunity this week?

I can't help but wonder what sort of team we would be fielding if we had been knocked out of the MMC and were playing in the bush comp this week? Would we be playing more of the kids - my money says that we would.

Vader you have some contradictions here:

1. You said Biglands and hentschell are the only 30+ players not to be selected ......but you forgot Massie and Jericho

2. I assume your critical of Jacky and Otten not being played ....yet you then state that Jacky was clearly out of his depth.

I'd suggest after two games it's time to go back to a slower paced environment, gather your thoughts on what you've learn't and then come back.
Also do we want to shoot his confidence down?

3. Of the other draftees .....Cook and Armstrong have been injured and on restricted programs, Dangerfield is in Melb after missing a couple of weeks to travel to Dubai .....and Kite and Walker are clearly development players.

Moss has struggled with PS demands, Petrenko is injured, Martin would would be a huge longshot ....and maybe Curnow a possibility?

So I fail to see what would be terribly different if we were bundled out of the NAB cup .......maybe Otten would have played ....but in reality one player not playing should not be a condemnation of the clubs junior development program.

Also the club wanting to win the NAB cup simply breeds into the younger players a winning culture .....and that IMO is great ;)

NAB cup games in the scheme of things mean nothing, so NC why not just play him for the whole 4 weeks of NAB & trial games and then make your selection decision on him come Round 1.

Don't you like winning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vader you have some contradictions here:

1. You said Biglands and hentschell are the only 30+ players not to be selected ......but you forgot Massie and Jericho

Jericho has only played 26 games, so is not in the 30+ category. Massie has been selected in the initial squad of 28 against both Freo and Hawthorn, just didn't make the cut to 26. No contradiction so far...

2. I assume your critical of Jacky and Otten not being played ....yet you then state that Jacky was clearly out of his depth.

I'd suggest after two games it's time to go back to a slower paced environment, gather your thoughts on what you've learn't and then come back.
Also do we want to shoot his confidence down?

Jacky has been given a go. Happy with that. Agree he should now be rested as we've seen what he has to offer and know that he needs more development before he is ready for the AFL.

More than slightly disappointed that Otten hasn't been given a shot.

3. Of the other draftees .....Cook and Armstrong have been injured and on restricted programs, Dangerfield is in Melb after missing a couple of weeks to travel to Dubai .....and Kite and Walker are clearly development players.

Cook & Armstrong WERE on restricted programs earlier in the pre-season, are they still restricted?

Judging from what I've read, Kite is way off and would probably have been unlikely no matter where we played.

I know Dangermouse is in Melbourne (Moggs Creek to be precise), but if we're serious about seeing what these kids have to offer then this shouldn't have been a major barrier. We've had him training with us all summer, so the club knows where he is at with his development. I would have liked to have seen him play one pre-season game, to show us what they saw in him when they drafted him at #10.

Walker is an interesting case. From what I've read of Crow Girl's reports, he's spent most of the summer (certainly since the beginning of January) training with the main group. Unlike the others, he's used to playing against grown men (as distinct from other boys in the TAC Cup). I don't have huge expectations of him, but I would have liked to see him play at least one pre-season game. It would have given him a taste and shown him the level he needs to attain if he is to play in the H&A season.

Moss has struggled with PS demands, Petrenko is injured, Martin would would be a huge longshot ....and maybe Curnow a possibility?

Agree with that assessment.

So I fail to see what would be terribly different if we were bundled out of the NAB cup .......maybe Otten would have played ....but in reality one player not playing should not be a condemnation of the clubs junior development program.

Also the club wanting to win the NAB cup simply breeds into the younger players a winning culture .....and that IMO is great ;)

Otten should have played, in my personal opinion. He would have played several games if we had been eliminated earlier. One game each for the others (provided they were passed fit) would have been appreciated. It's harder to justify selecting them though for a MMC semi-final than it would be for a meaningless bush game.

I have no problem with the club wanting to win the MMC. Heck, it's $350K we don't need to be donating to some destitute Victorian team :D. Now that we're in it up to our neck we might as well do our best to win it.

We just need to be really careful this year - success can be a double edged sword. It's great for the juniors to be introduced to a winning culture, I agree. However, success is also usually accompanied by team stability, which means fewer opportunities for the youngsters to play. Given the age profile of our list, combined with the lack of development in many last year because of injuries (Tippett, Sellar, MacKay, Campbell), we need to maximise the opportunities these youngsters are given this year.

We do NOT want to see this matchup again!. But I hate to say this, we'll probably still see this matchup from time to time in this evening's game. Mr Craig, listen to me. You need to play Ben Rutten on this guy much more often.

rfFRANKLIN.jpg

rfGALLHAW14_gallery__470x295.jpg

rfGALLHAW5_gallery__249x400.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back