No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's an OUTRAGE, Damo, OUTRAGE!!! Keep telling us, you scab.

Ratts is just another sacked coach in a long line of sacked sporting coaches. Have a cry mate. This is sport.
Damo seems like a perennial loser if he's going to crack the sads over people trying to better themselves.

I cant watch Footy media anymore.
Purples point - why didnt they go workout who their going to replace him with before... what a mess this club is.
Purple if the Saints have had done this - its not the right way to sack a coach with someone already lined up... what a mess this club is.

Really... And then its Ross Lyon... Ross Lyon... Ross Lyon... really just stop and think a little, we dont want Ross and Ross doesnt want us.
I loved the Ross Lyon time, but I dont want to watch that type of footy again, and im not sure Ross can coach in this day and age...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In summary mid year we are 8/3 and they re-sign Ratten. All good.
The season turns to crap and results in a review of the football department that highlights Ratten's shortcomings.
They realise the team will not move forward with those shortcomings and look for someone else.

All seems fair to me.
It also sounds like they spoke to Ratts after the review ad gave him a chance to explain/give his thoughts, and ultimately he didn't give them enough confidence that he was the right guy.

I cant watch Footy media anymore.
Purples point - why didnt they go workout who their going to replace him with before... what a mess this club is.
Purple if the Saints have had done this - its not the right way to sack a coach with someone already lined up... what a mess this club is.

Really... And then its Ross Lyon... Ross Lyon... Ross Lyon... really just stop and think a little, we dont want Ross and Ross doesnt want us.
I loved the Ross Lyon time, but I dont want to watch that type of footy again, and im not sure Ross can coach in this day and age...

Especially the way the AFL system leaks ( though our club not as bad as some ).
Imagine if Ratten had found out due to rumours about the "new coach".

Of course Damian Barrett is immediately critical saying 'it was just words'.

Talk about writing your own narrative.

******* knob.

He’s always spot on

nDmqche.gif

Loved it

Only part i found a bit second rate was giving Ratts a chance to present his case forward and if it was good to potentially keep the gig. Didn't need to say that part at all. If the review was that he needed to go, then don't bother asking him to do a last effort pitch to keep his job.

Last edited:
Honestly, that was a class press conference, but also at the standard we should expect at all press conferences.

For reference, please reacquaint yourself with what the low bar is:

What I thought was hilarious was Damo saying our presser and decision making was worse than Essendons absolute shit show.

Kidding surely

Lethlean: We spoke to our players this morning who I would say are saddened. They're close and love and respect Brett. They understand they need to dig a bit deeper now ... we're going to provide a football program that asks more of them

This to me speaks volumes. Current list isn't performing to their potential. Hunts might be getting a bench press for Xmas this year

“If we as a club have regrets about that in hindsight, we cannot let those regrets get in the way of making the right decision for the future."

Spot on.
One of the best things he said. Thank god he isn't afraid to make change if it isn't working.

Just wanted to say this is probably the first time I genuinely felt like a coach has been treated with the utmost respect on the back of such a decision. Press conference was 200% class and transparency.

Really rate your two men at the top.

Very impressed - that couldn't have gone any better.
No comparison to the Essendon shambles.
Timing could have been better of course, but if its clear from the review it was a mistake, no use doubling down on it for the sake of saving face.

Someone tell that to the media! Shit they are trying to bury us. At least the opposition fans get it! Ratts wasn't going to be our premiership coach. I'd like to hear the media admit that.

About as good a press conference as you can have IMO. Not convinced about Lethlean and call me crazy but I think Bassett is a successful man and he’ll get us out of this mid table rut but it’s going to take years, and I’m glad we didn’t just go with him again for the sake of looking a bit better about the extension we gave him.

As for Ratten I said it in a post around grand final day. We don’t do anything that premiership teams do. We don’t win the ball, we don’t pressure, we never even try to manufacture a spare in defense to protect them and as a result the opposition scores whenever it goes in there. Slow ball movement, overrating ruckmen, the list goes on. You can’t persist with a coach when that’s the gameplan he’s serving up. A coach shouldn’t cop watching Steele, Jones, Ross etc just blatantly watch opposition players run past them. The drop off in form was too significant to not do anything.

List management needs to be next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back