No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The only one who is safe is Lenny Hayes? Why is Lenny Safe? Are they guessing its due to his relationship with Lyon?

Corey Enright. Started 2022. Would be disappointing if he left, he seemed to be doing good work in our defence.
Jarryd Roughead. A fairly low level assistant. I can see how the media like to throw his name around, but it makes little difference if he stays or goes in my view.
Ben Jacobs. A Rookie coach starting his first coaching role at the beginning of 2022. An assistant for Batch and Carroll. Would be unlucky for him, and of no real consequence to the Saints unless he is totally inept or disruptive.
Damian Carroll: Has an important role, but he also only started in 2022. Its very hard to judge whether he's been doing a bad job in development.
We've seen new players come in and perform strongly. We've seen older , developing players seem to go backwards.

Nick Walsh is also new at the club for 2022, and seemed to be well credentialed.

If we start sacking and re-appointing the football department every year only a lunatic would want to come and work for the Saints.

The club sends a "we are doing a press conference at xx.xx" email to the media.
That’s the point I was making mate.

What gets sent first the presser (which George still hasn’t got)

Or the announcement of the coach? (Which is what I was explaining needed to occur first)

It is understood that the appointment of Lyon could result in other key figures from his first stint returning to the club, including dual All-Australian Brendon Goddard, Brownlow Medal winner Robert Harvey and fitness boss David Misson.

Here is the job for the boys gif was referring by too.
Geelong have always done similar by keeping quality Geelong people at the club. They have Kelly, Egan and Ottens in their coaching ranks and have had Scarlett, Enright etc in the past.

Not so sure about bringing Goddard back though. No doubt he would demand a lot from the boys but he's an extremely negative person. Not sure he has the balance to become a coach.

It is understood that the appointment of Lyon could result in other key figures from his first stint returning to the club, including dual All-Australian Brendon Goddard, Brownlow Medal winner Robert Harvey and fitness boss David Misson.

Here is the job for the boys gif was referring by too.
'Jobs for the boys' hope its not like that.

I actually looked up the 2015 deal that bought in a huge amount of GWS players.

Carlton traded Lauchie Henderson for Geelong's future first then added 28, 77, 95
Traded all that for pick 8, Lamb, Phillips, Plowman, Sumner.
Traded Tom Bell to Brisbane for 21.
Traded pick 21 and 22 to the Dogs for 11.
Ended up with Harry McKay and Curnow, Cunningham and Silvagni.

At the time it got plenty of laughs but right now that looks like an elite year.
They got really lucky that Curnow got on the piss & decided to drive home.

Geelong have always done similar by keeping quality Geelong people at the club. They have Kelly, Egan and Ottens in their coaching ranks and have had Scarlett, Enright etc in the past.

Not so sure about bringing Goddard back though. No doubt he would demand a lot from the boys but he's an extremely negative person. Not sure he has the balance to become a coach.

Goddard will be special assistant in identifying the players to get a half time spray.

1666565661942.jpeg
No Pretzels for that guy Ross.

• When Ratts got re-signed. - meh. I saw the reasoning. Was happy at 8-3 at 8-6 and the mental weakness of the team exposed, I was a bit more concerned.
  • When Ratts got re-signed. - pretty flat, as I had been since about July. I had dropped off going to the football, and was getting disinterested, the non trade period capped it off. I downgraded my membership for various reason just not a fit of pique.
  • The moment Ross Lyon is named coach, I am on the phone to membership to upgrade as the club has done exactly what I wanted, a radical change to give some hope, just not drift around mid table as they have for the past ten years.

Yep, so many Saints fans were getting to the end of their tether. This is a circuit breaker and a resetting of hope even if it's a dead end.

I was really considering walking away if next year had gone badly under Ratts. They were more frustration than joy. I'm more pumped now than I've been for years. I can't wait for the next season.

The only one who is safe is Lenny Hayes? Why is Lenny Safe? Are they guessing its due to his relationship with Lyon?

Corey Enright. Started 2022. Would be disappointing if he left, he seemed to be doing good work in our defence.
Jarryd Roughead. A fairly low level assistant. I can see how the media like to throw his name around, but it makes little difference if he stays or goes in my view.
Ben Jacobs. A Rookie coach starting his first coaching role at the beginning of 2022. An assistant for Batch and Carroll. Would be unlucky for him, and of no real consequence to the Saints unless he is totally inept or disruptive.
Damian Carroll: Has an important role, but he also only started in 2022. Its very hard to judge whether he's been doing a bad job in development.
We've seen new players come in and perform strongly. We've seen older , developing players seem to go backwards.

Nick Walsh is also new at the club for 2022, and seemed to be well credentialed.

If we start sacking and re-appointing the football department every year only a lunatic would want to come and work for the Saints.
It's not every year though.

A new head coach is starting. Usually they have a very big say in who will be working under them.

'Jobs for the boys' hope its not like that.
Goddard - meh. Dunno what he brings TBH.
Banger- Fantastic, feel good story. All reports suggests he's an excellent assistant.
Misson- Would be an amazing get. Has few peers in the S&C field.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A new head coach is starting. Usually they have a very big say in who will be working under them.
I’m confident in a few names from above getting confirmed such as Mission.

There is a chance with Harves aswell

No idea on SOS. But I’ve heard the rumours.

It's probably nitpicking but the only thing I'll say about the rumoured new appointments is that are we too infatuated with filling the club full of ex St.Kilda people? Or are we just genuinely picking the best candidates from the bunch?

It's probably nitpicking but the only thing I'll say about the rumoured new appointments is that are we too infatuated with filling the club full of ex St.Kilda people? Or are we just genuinely picking the best candidates from the bunch?
They are people he trusts.

So I understand the POV.

But I think it’s wrong to a degree.

Lenny, Misson and Banger all very good resumes. Goddard is the question mark. Would be very disappointed if we let Enright go for him. Could easily be a very good coach though, was essentially an on field coach for Essendon towards the end.

Not disputing his authority, questioning his judgement if he turfs out competent people for no good reason to bring in mates.
Especially if he hasn't even met the existing footy department.

IMO it only makes sense if the club review identified them as weak points.
I can't imagine that a review would identify a rookie coach acting as an assistant to the development team as being a weak point.
I can't imagine that an "operations assistant" could be a weak point.

If this is all about Ross thinking he can turn the clock back to 2009, him and us will all be in for a rude awakening.

They are people he trusts.

So I understand the POV.

But I think it’s wrong to a degree.
I'm just worried our heart is clouding judgement. I can see how Harves gets a gig but Silvagni and Goddard I don't understand at all. In any event the one thing they've all got in common is that they're all ex-Saints.

Yeah, most pro coaches want their people in. I'd rather bring in the people he rates and not have excuses. The time to experiment has passed. Just get the cheque book out and let him get who he wants in. Lenny gives a bit of an unknown to have a bit gamble on but he gets in the people he rates and trusts to do the rest of it.

Enright might be a great backline coach but the lines had no cohesion. If Ross has to get the transitions going smoothly get who he wants and pay it.

Harvey extremely well-regarded assistant across multiple high-performing clubs. Change his name to Bob Smith and his credentials stack up as well as any assistant in the industry. Seems like a good get if true. The fact that he is one of our all-time greats is a happy coincidence.

Lenny, Misson and Banger all very good resumes. Goddard is the question mark. Would be very disappointed if we let Enright go for him. Could easily be a very good coach though, was essentially an on field coach for Essendon towards the end.
Needs to actually do an apprenticeship first I would've thought. I'd absolutely hate losing Enright. And especially hate if we lost him for Goddard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back