Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Roos sees what we all see.

Lack of effort.
I said after the Freo game that they were running and we were jogging and that simply hasn't changed, surely this is something the coaches are seeing too.
Longmire (of which I have always been an avid defender of) claims he's at a loss to know what the problem is, he and the others in the box must be blind if they can't see that.

Big test tomorrow: will the club actually post Horse's presser this week? And how many journos will actually show up?
No doubt there would've been some heavy media training over the last two days. Don't expect any insight other than a rehash of the post match presser. "It was unacceptable and our efforts at the contest needs to be better and the good thing about footy is we have a game this Friday to have another crack blah blah blah and we'll go to work on it blah blah".

Throw in "we'll see how Melican and Rampe trains this week" and "jmac is a wait and see".

Also throw in "Yeah Friday night is a great opportunity to play Infront of a Sydney crowd that have been amazing all year blah blah blah and we hope we can show more of an effort than we did the last 2 weeks blah blah"

There's your presser.

And your player interview will just be the same answer to all 10 questions which is going to be a variation of "our effort wasn't acceptable, but we have a chance to change that on Friday night, so yeah looking forward to it".

Last edited:
...is that not the job of a captain? It's hardly a passive role.

The job of a captain should be to lead by example. He's setting a pretty shit example at the moment.

The job of a captain should be to lead by example. He's setting a pretty shit example at the moment.
The coaches need to realise that he can't lead by example at the moment, and either appoint a temporary captain so Mills can focus on a particular role, like intercepting down back, or imo, send him to the VFL mids for the remaining 2 games, and if he is getting plenty of it, looks in better touch, bring him in for the Crows game before finals.

The coaches need to realise that he can't lead by example at the moment, and either appoint a temporary captain so Mills can focus on a particular role, like intercepting down back, or imo, send him to the VFL mids for the remaining 2 games, and if he is getting plenty of it, looks in better touch, bring him in for the Crows game before finals.
Who's the Swan that is going to lead by example and make a good captain at the moment? We don't exactly have 22 blokes in career-best form right now.

Who's the Swan that is going to lead by example and make a good captain at the moment? We don't exactly have 22 blokes in career-best form right now.
Rowy. Or if Rampe is back, make them co-captains for the remainder of the year.

It's not fair on Mills tbh, although he should really be putting his hand up to say he's not ready to be playing seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowy. Or if Rampe is back, make them co-captains for the remainder of the year.

It's not fair on Mills tbh, although he should really be putting his hand up to say he's not ready to be playing seniors.
Rowbottom wasn't even voted into the leadership group this year. It can't just be based on what we see and admire as fans. It has to be someone whose leadership has resonated with the players themselves within the four walls of the club.

Rampe might not be available this week.

Papley captained us earlier this year and it was hardly inspiring.

Parker's not even certain to be in the 22 at present.

Gulden is hardly the picture of team-first footy lately.

Heeney, when compared to his lofty heights this year, is arguably as out of form as Mills is.

We're not exactly brimming with options better than Mills right now.

Rowbottom wasn't even voted into the leadership group this year. It can't just be based on what we see and admire as fans. It has to be someone whose leadership has resonated with the players themselves within the four walls of the club.

Rampe might not be available this week.

Papley captained us earlier this year and it was hardly inspiring.

Parker's not even certain to be in the 22 at present.

Gulden is hardly the picture of team-first footy lately.

Heeney, when compared to his lofty heights this year, is arguably as out of form as Mills is.

We're not exactly brimming with options better than Mills right now.
If other players are touting Rowy as the first player picked or talking him up as being selfless, doing the tough stuff, making his other team members better etc, then that sounds like a leader to me.

I'll put it this way, how could it hurt?

If other players are touting Rowy as the first player picked or talking him up as being selfless, doing the tough stuff, making his other team members better etc, then that sounds like a leader to me.

I'll put it this way, how could it hurt?
How could it hurt, us basically stripping our captain of the title mid-season?

How could it hurt, us basically stripping our captain of the title mid-season?
Not for good. While he gets back to fitness/form.

Is it going to hurt his pride? If so, good. He either needs to put his hand up and say he can't do what should be expected of him, or he probably deserves a bit of a whack himself (instead of dishing it out).

Not for good. While he gets back to fitness/form.

Is it going to hurt his pride? If so, good. He either needs to put his hand up and say he can't do what should be expected of him, or he probably deserves a bit of a whack himself (instead of dishing it out).
If he's out of the team because he's managed or he drops himself to the VFL to find form and fitness, then sure. Give it to someone else in the interim.

But as long as the guy voted to be captain is in the team, he should be captain of the team. Anything else would be a terrible look for the club.

As for him dishing out sprays, imagine if, on the contrary, he didn't, and showed no passion or authority at all. I'd imagine that would look even worse for a captain.

If he's out of the team because he's managed or he drops himself to the VFL to find form and fitness, then sure. Give it to someone else in the interim.

But as long as the guy voted to be captain is in the team, he should be captain of the team. Anything else would be a terrible look for the club.
I mean, I'd drop him to the VFL for 2 weeks as well.

I'm not really that interested in who was voted in at the start of the year, I'm interested in who can lead by example right now, before our season is over.

If the players or the club are concerned about a terrible look, then they certainly fooled me on Saturday night.

I said after the Freo game that they were running and we were jogging and that simply hasn't changed, surely this is something the coaches are seeing too.
Longmire (of which I have always been an avid defender of) claims he's at a loss to know what the problem is, he and the others in the box must be blind if they can't see that.
Pretty sure i saw the fall off either last week or two weeks ago in Contested Ball Numbers and tackling. It was from a +8 to a -6 in tackles. Won the tackle count by 8 but lost the contested possession count by 27. Swans aren't a team that has to win the contested possession or clearance count to be top of the league but they need to be damn close to neutral and these last 5-6 games have been horrific. There is no pressure around the ball at any points on the field

I'm not really that interested in who was voted in at the start of the year, I'm interested in who can lead by example right now, before our season is over.
I guess my point is that there doesn't appear to be anyone better who can lead by example right now. They're all in the same boat of general shitty-ness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back