Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess my point is that there doesn't appear to be anyone better who can lead by example right now. They're all in the same boat of general shitty-ness.
I've provided an example. Rowy. He was untidy but kept cracking in.

We can discuss whether that's democratic or might wound some people's pride, but I don't think that should be the main concern after last week.

I've provided an example. Rowy. He was untidy but kept cracking in.

We can discuss whether that's democratic or might wound some people's pride, but I don't think that should be the main concern after last week.
They are not going to give the captaincy to someone who didn't even make the leadership group, regardless of whether you or I or anyone else disagrees.

I know, but I'm not talking about what the club will do.
That's fair.

FWIW I commented the other day that I wish Rowbottom would put himself out there more as he's got all the right qualities for the job, but until he does that the needle won't move much in that space. He'll just stay the easy-going guy who takes the hard stuff so the others don't have to, rather than the leader who inspires the others to follow his example. A leader has to want to lead.

Heard this every week. "We need to get off to better starts" ... and yet they keep getting worse.

Worst defeat the club has seen since the 90's and the players get rewarded with two days off, too.
The club has been 1-2 weeks late on pulling the trigger for everything thus far. 1-2 weeks late resting players to avoid injury etc. If it was indeed planned to give them a couple days break, it shouldn't be before a Friday night game at the least - should've been either last week or wait till after this weeks game. They should've seen it coming post Freo and and stkilda games so maybe after North should've been the trigger.

Bit of damage control going on. Safe to say we stuffed up a good thing. We were literally in the box seat to start managing the team in every aspect, and we've cocked it up. Not only copped injuries but now we need a mental factory reset to top it off.

This Friday will be telling. Even though we expected it v Port, If they actually come out playing through their skins this week then we can be confident that they have what it takes in-between the ears to say enough is enough and forget about the previous two. But if we see another poor showing, then stick a fork in us. Effort is one thing, but i'm just hoping the boys haven't lost so much confidence that they've forgotten how to play with each other.

Last edited:
The club has been 1-2 weeks late on pulling the trigger for everything thus far. 1-2 weeks late resting players to avoid injury etc. If it was indeed planned to give them a couple days break, it shouldn't be before a Friday night game at the least - should've been either last week or wait till after this weeks game. They should've seen it coming post Freo and and stkilda games so maybe after North should've been the trigger.

Bit of damage control going on. Safe to say we stuffed up a good thing. We were literally in the box seat to start managing the team in every aspect, and we've cocked it up. Not only copped injuries but now we need a mental factory reset to top it off.

This Friday will be telling. Even though we expected it v Port, If they actually come out playing through their skins this week then we can be confident that they have what it takes in-between the ears to say enough is enough and forget about the previous two. But if we see another poor showing, then stick a fork in us. Effort is one thing, but i'm just hoping the boys haven't lost so much confidence that they've forgotten how to play with each other.
The thing is, they should've come out playing against Port Adelaide after an awful performance against the Bulldogs. There's zero confidence or faith from fans that there will be a positive response.

We have a history of pushing players to the limit, them getting injured and then rushing them back before they are match-ready.

Agree with you though...the club is slow to react or pull the trigger in so many areas. Players should've been given an extra day off 4-5 weeks ago while we were still very much clear on top. We can't afford to do that now. Each day is crucial in getting things right. It's like when Collingwood lost to the Gold Coast and spent much of the next week up there before flying back to Melbourne and losing again. It reeks of arrogance and indecision, something that's crept into the club over the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is, they should've come out playing against Port Adelaide after an awful performance against the Bulldogs. There's zero confidence or faith from fans that there will be a positive response.

We have a history of pushing players to the limit, them getting injured and then rushing them back before they are match-ready.

Agree with you though...the club is slow to react or pull the trigger in so many areas. Players should've been given an extra day off 4-5 weeks ago while we were still very much clear on top. We can't afford to do that now. Each day is crucial in getting things right. It's like when Collingwood lost to the Gold Coast and spent much of the next week up there before flying back to Melbourne and losing again. It reeks of arrogance and indecision, something that's crept into the club over the last 10 years.

I remember saying this early in the season, that we needed to start figuring out plans to manage players' loads and playing time, and people said it would be fine and we'd just keep playing everyone because we couldn't afford to break momentum, but we're now reaping what we sowed.

I remember saying this early in the season, that we needed to start figuring out plans to manage players' loads and playing time, and people said it would be fine and we'd just keep playing everyone because we couldn't afford to break momentum, but we're now reaping what we sowed.
Exactly right, and unfortunately, our depth just isn't up to standard when a few injuries hit. We might have one of the best 22's when fully fit, but when you compare our depth now to 2005 and 2012, it's just no where near the standard.

This upcoming draft is crucial. Since it doesn't look like we'll bring anyone in via trade, we need to nail these first 2-3 picks we have, because they could genuinely be playing round one in 2025.

We dont manage players loads we never have its not a surprise.

This would have to be the Most negative a top of the table team has ever been spoken about in the media and general fans
Deservedly so if you ask me. Last Saturday night would have to be the worst top of the table performance by any team EVER!

Heard this every week. "We need to get off to better starts" ... and yet they keep getting worse.

Worst defeat the club has seen since the 90's and the players get rewarded with two days off, too.
Unbelievable that they had two days off. They had the night off last Saturday night. Will we have our third goalless first quarter in a row? I’m fearing this.

Rowbottom wasn't even voted into the leadership group this year. It can't just be based on what we see and admire as fans. It has to be someone whose leadership has resonated with the players themselves within the four walls of the club.

Rampe might not be available this week.

Papley captained us earlier this year and it was hardly inspiring.

Parker's not even certain to be in the 22 at present.

Gulden is hardly the picture of team-first footy lately.

Heeney, when compared to his lofty heights this year, is arguably as out of form as Mills is.

We're not exactly brimming with options better than Mills right now.
Can't compare Heeney to Mills last week

Unbelievable that they had two days off. They had the night off last Saturday night. Will we have our third goalless first quarter in a row? I’m fearing this.

I'm going to ask my boss if he can use Horses methods. ie, If I have a terrible couple of weeks at work he can give me 2 paid days off.

Club needs to get tougher, maybe squid games style: If we don't get the first goal then a gattling gun rises up from the centre square and mows down the team... same if they lose lead from then on in first quarter...that'll get them trying!

Ok, a bit harsh... how about whole team gets docked $50K per person if another poor 1st quarter Fri night?

Or hit them where it really hurts and ban all from staring in mirrors and taking selfies for the next week if they dish up another crap start?

I'm going to ask my boss if he can use Horses methods. ie, If I have a terrible couple of weeks at work he can give me 2 paid days off.

Club needs to get tougher, maybe squid games style: If we don't get the first goal then a gattling gun rises up from the centre square and mows down the team... same if they lose lead from then on in first quarter...that'll get them trying!

Ok, a bit harsh... how about whole team gets docked $50K per person if another poor 1st quarter Fri night?

Or hit them where it really hurts and ban all from staring in mirrors and taking selfies for the next week if they dish up another crap start?
I’m angry too about the result last Saturday night

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back