Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I definitely think it's Adams who drops out. Think Montagna flagged it on First Crack last night and think he was spot on. Scary that Adams has two years left on his deal when his impact has fallen off a cliff.

Sure would be rough if we make it to the GF and he's left out again .. only a year later!
Still, sympathy can't be a part of the flag equation.

This my friends, is the reason you don't hand out jobs to just anyone.
Best person for the job please.

To be honest I thought she was good on TRSF until I realised it was the same woman who'd made that comment about us, but her general views were pretty good, I dunno what was her issue with us though.

This my friends, is the reason you don't hand out jobs to just anyone.
Best person for the job please.
Who says she was "just anyone" who was "handed" a job? How do you define who is "best person for the job"?

I have literally no idea what she was trying to say with this comment, but if you sacked every AFL media person who had occasionally said something meaningless, insulting, crass, or downright stupid, there would literally be no-one left. Even the great Dennis Cometti would occasionally utter something that probably sounded good in his head but made no sense when said out loud.

Kate is the co-presenter on this week's Sunday afl.com.au show with Kane Cornes and she comes across as an engaging presenter who knows what she is talking about. I presume she is just starting out on her media career, but she is already more personable in front of a camera than someone like Matthew Lloyd, who has been doing media work for years. So yes, criticise the remark if you want. But don't write someone off based on one comment just because you perceive them as being a DEI hire.

Who says she was "just anyone" who was "handed" a job? How do you define who is "best person for the job"?

I have literally no idea what she was trying to say with this comment, but if you sacked every AFL media person who had occasionally said something meaningless, insulting, crass, or downright stupid, there would literally be no-one left. Even the great Dennis Cometti would occasionally utter something that probably sounded good in his head but made no sense when said out loud.

Kate is the co-presenter on this week's Sunday afl.com.au show with Kane Cornes and she comes across as an engaging presenter who knows what she is talking about. I presume she is just starting out on her media career, but she is already more personable in front of a camera than someone like Matthew Lloyd, who has been doing media work for years. So yes, criticise the remark if you want. But don't write someone off based on one comment just because you perceive them as being a DEI hire.
I really have followed her on a couple of places and i seriously dislike her , i think she's trying to make a name for herself by trying to be controversial . Give me Kath Loughlan and Sarah Jones every time

I really have followed her on a couple of places and i seriously dislike her , i think she's trying to make a name for herself by trying to be controversial . Give me Kath Loughlan and Sarah Jones every time
I suspect she's not trying to be a Kath Loughlan or Sarah Jones. They are carving out careers as hosts rather than commenters.

If you've formed an opinion based on more than just that one comment, fair enough. My comments were aimed at the poster who appeared to be condemning her based on a single (admittedly weird) observation.

I'll also add that the AFL media world is very crowded, and I doubt she's the first to try to get herself noticed by making controversial comments. Kane Cornes has admitted that was his approach when he first emerged onto the scene. I seriously disliked him a few years ago - mostly because of that tendency - but he's now morphed into one of the least objectionable commentators who occasionally has something interesting to say.

I suspect she's not trying to be a Kath Loughlan or Sarah Jones. They are carving out careers as hosts rather than commenters.

If you've formed an opinion based on more than just that one comment, fair enough. My comments were aimed at the poster who appeared to be condemning her based on a single (admittedly weird) observation.

I'll also add that the AFL media world is very crowded, and I doubt she's the first to try to get herself noticed by making controversial comments. Kane Cornes has admitted that was his approach when he first emerged onto the scene. I seriously disliked him a few years ago - mostly because of that tendency - but he's now morphed into one of the least objectionable commentators who occasionally has something interesting to say.
Thought she was fine on TRSF without being exceptional. As a first timer she shows promise.
The "downhill skier" remark was clearly clickbait. Amongst the women Loughnan, Jones and Holmes are all highly knowledgeable and personable. Haven't seen anything of Phillips and Underwood seems lightweight.
Better value than many of the men.

Thought she was fine on TRSF without being exceptional. As a first timer she shows promise.
The "downhill skier" remark was clearly clickbait. Amongst the women Loughnan, Jones and Holmes are all highly knowledgeable and personable. Haven't seen anything of Phillips and Underwood seems lightweight.
Better value than many of the men.
Don't forget our Gemma!

Don't forget our Gemma!
Used to chat with Gemma on X when it was Twitter before she got permanent work. Lovely person. She's the absolute best on men's and women's. Lives and breathes it. Sarah is OK but not in the same class. Swans girls too.
I was thinking more about the commercial talking heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse my ignorance Liz , but who is she
Not igorance on your part. She's not really broken through (yet) to the AFL mainstream.

Gemma Bastiani is one of the central figures in the AFL site's coverage of the AFLW but she's also branched out into VFL game commentary. If you've watched any of the streams this year there's a good chance you've heard her commentate. She's not the most polished, but she does her research and speaks with the authenticity of being an actual fan of football (and is a lady of great taste, being a Swans fan herself).

She's also started contributing to some of the written pieces on the AFL site, sometimes with her own byeline, or sometimes as part of the "staff writers" byeline. For example, the observation in this week's "nine things we learned" that Parker is surely part of our best 23 came from her.

I have found you can disagree with a media personality on one comment and not completely wipe them.

It was a good exercise in this when I watched TRSW not realising who she was and really enjoying her comments, it shows you don't have to tar someone just because of one comment.

This is just an issue of generational ignorance.

She’s heard the term used, never asked what it means, assumed she knew what it meant and got it wrong.

People’s vocab and lexicon grows with age - people who write also develop more broadly and quickly.

But in their mid 20s, there’s little difference between a trainee journo and a real estate salesperson.

Very true Liz.

I guess we have AFL media jobs just handed out.
Too many of them linking their names to these pieces.

I have found you can disagree with a media personality on one comment and not completely wipe them.
I tend to wipe them because of the general tone of an opinion compared to other teams when they aren't as harsh.
The Cats love for example. The typical few have gone easy on them this weekend. Whateley for example. They lost to the Saints as well but not getting the same treatment we received from him when they beat us. At least he has other stuff I've enjoyed but I don't listen to any of his opinions on the Swans. This downhill skier piece was just atrocious coming from anyone calling themselves an AFL journalist, who is supposed to have better knowledge of all clubs. It sounds like it came from a burnt to a crisp Pie or Bomber supporter posting here on Bigfooty, upset because we were responsible for ending their teams' season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back